Smart Car of America Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello everybody,

I am most likely going to buy a Smart Fortwo CDI within the next 3 months, and to me, this requires a lot of planning..

I am a good Audio-holic (can it be put in this way?), and I was hoping to find a system for a HD and the ability to play FLAC files.
(FLAC - Free Lossless Audio Codec -> wikipedia details)

This would give me the CD Quality of sound, without those annoying discs floating around.. They never seem to last in my car..
:urp:

I could build a Carputer, with a touch screen,
but I was hoping for a better solution.

For sound, I have been drooling at some Morel 3 way speaker set.
They are really expencive, but I spend at least two hours a day in the car, so I would like to indulge myself a bit.

Hope that there is someone who could help me out :)

·
Registered
225 Posts
just get an ipod.

here is a c&p i did on flac on any ipod

It takes a quicktime plug-in for FLACs, as well as a component file, but its real easy. With everything installed its a two step process. You drop the files on the app (takes like 2 seconds), and then drop it in itunes (normal import speed).

this is from the readme (for macs). if you have a [COLOR=green ! important][COLOR=green ! important]pc[/COLOR][/COLOR], just go to the first url, and read that readme for further directions.

1. Make sure you have XiphQT installed.
(Xiph.Org: QuickTime Components :: Downloads)
2. Make sure you have FLACImport.component installed.
(Arek @ Xiph.Org: FLAC Importer)
3. In Finder, select your FLAC files.
4. Drop the selected files on 'Set OggS' app.
5. You should be able to add the selected files to iTunes (drag'n'drop, or from menu).

If you need to clear the OggS type on your FLAC files, drop them on the 'Clear OggS' app.

Helpful links
Putting Vorbis and FLAC back in iTunes | Root | Macworld
http://barelyfocused.net/blog/2006/10/12...tunesquicktime/

·
Registered
1 Posts
just get an ipod.

here is a c&p i did on flac on any ipod
That is entirely for adding flac/ogg support to iTunes on the Mac. This will not allow the playback of flac/ogg files on an iPod.

The iPod does not natively support flac or ogg. If you want to decode them on your iPod you should see if you can replace the firmware with RockBox. RockBox will allow flac and ogg support on any personal media player you can install it on:

rockbox.org

My friend is using it on a former Windows device and I'm going to add it to on of my iPods soon.

If you are seeking to purchase a device, you could use the list at RockBox to determine devices which will be supported.

Also, many in-dash units now support flac/ogg/vorbis decoding; you'll just want to ensure that you ask the right questions when you are looking at them.

Best of luck.

Here is my disorganized post on flac support (remove spaces):

soundunreason.com/ Welcome.html/ ?p=928

1 - 6 of 6 Posts