Smart Car of America Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
1,245 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
I have decided to put 165/65R15 tires all around on my 2015 451 ED, as I'm tired of the ridiculously short rear tire life and need to be able to rotate. It is also reported that this tire arrangement produces a much improved ride, corrects the high speedo error (1" greater diameter) and might improve the range a little bit (skinnier, taller tire).

I need to match the rim size all around, and with a tire of this aspect ratio, it should be fine to use the 4.5" front wheels all around. The more popular conversion seem to be to put the wider rear rims all around, but skinny tires and rims are fine for me.

And so, is there anyone out there with a spare pair of front wheels to sell? Or, is there anyone willing to do a swap of my 5.5" rear rims for their 4.5" front rims? My rear rims are in perfect shape, no scratches. They have mostly only seen summer use, with steel wheels and snow tires used in winter.

(If it is OK with the moderator, can I post this on the IC engine 451 Smart forum too?)

·
Registered
986 Posts
You should do better in the snow with thinner tires, less snowshoe effect.
My 65 Volkswagen bug was great in the snow.
Unless it got too deep.

·
Registered
1,245 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
You should do better in the snow with thinner tires, less snowshoe effect.
My 65 Volkswagen bug was great in the snow.
Unless it got too deep.
Yes, I was thinking about that too. It can be heck getting up my steep driveway in wet snow on those wide 175/55-15's even when they are snow tires.

·
Super Moderator
MY08 cabrio MY09 cabrio Brabus MY15 ED
7,914 Posts
Keep us posted on the outcome, seems that you are going into uncharted territory?

·
Registered
1,245 Posts
Discussion Starter #5 (Edited)
Keep us posted on the outcome, seems that you are going into uncharted territory?
The outcome depends on me finding the wheels. I'm trying to avoid spending $500+ on a pair of used ones.

Using this particular tire size has been tried with good reported results (see the link) Using the narrower rims on the rear should have no harmful effect. The wheel offset is the same. (only 1.5 mm different).

·
Registered
884 Posts
I have decided to put 165/65R15 tires all around on my 2015 451 ED, as I'm tired of the ridiculously short rear tire life and need to be able to rotate. It is also reported that this tire arrangement produces a much improved ride, corrects the high speedo error (1" greater diameter) and might improve the range a little bit (skinnier, taller tire).

I need to match the rim size all around, and with a tire of this aspect ratio, it should be fine to use the 4.5" front wheels all around. The more popular conversion seem to be to put the wider rear rims all around, but skinny tires and rims are fine for me.

And so, is there anyone out there with a spare pair of front wheels to sell? Or, is there anyone willing to do a swap of my 5.5" rear rims for their 4.5" front rims? My rear rims are in perfect shape, no scratches. They have mostly only seen summer use, with steel wheels and snow tires used in winter.

(If it is OK with the moderator, can I post this on the IC engine 451 Smart forum too?)
Yes I am interested in the swap, which style wheel are we talking about?

·
Registered
580 Posts
This style - silver color.
View attachment 66025
Where you located? I may have a pair to trade. The taller sidewall will definitely improve the ride. I have 185/65R15 and 205/60R15 on my 2015 Pure and it's pretty smooth (for a smart). The speedo is dead on with this combo. I think the 4.5" can go to a 175 without issue, but I can see the argument for 165.

·
Registered
1,245 Posts
Discussion Starter #9 (Edited)
Where you located? I may have a pair to trade. The taller sidewall will definitely improve the ride. I have 185/65R15 and 205/60R15 on my 2015 Pure and it's pretty smooth (for a smart). The speedo is dead on with this combo. I think the 4.5" can go to a 175 without issue, but I can see the argument for 165.
Pittsburgh. I already ordered the tires, but maybe I can halt the order and go with 175's. As far as the swap - maybe be can meet at a midpoint (say, Breezewood, PA) and do the swap in lieu of having to ship? PM me if you want to go forward on this.

Edit: How about Hancock, MD, and I'll pay your mileage at std. govt rate.

·
Registered
1,245 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Got my wheel swap from someone locally. I am going with the 5.5 inch rims all around. Will report results when work in done.

·
Registered
88 Posts

·
Registered
88 Posts
im with you. ive been thinking of making all four the same size. thought ild make em all 4.5 rears......for better stability. however, why are you doing the smaller fronts all the way around? is there an avantage for fronts over rears? now im questioning. i did rears all the way around on my slk230, and it looked great and was very stable. hmmmmm

·
Registered
1,245 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
iIs there an avantage for fronts over rears? now im questioning. i did rears all the way around on my slk230, and it looked great and was very stable. hmmmmm
I ended up opting for the 5.5 rims all around and 175/65R15's which are a bit on the big side and I would not recommend them. There is now about an 5% low odometer error, and range may suffer - a slower spinning electric motor has to produce more torque and thus draw more current. But I am stuck with them for a while now. The idea of using 4.5" front all around was that they are fine with the 165/65R15's and the narrower profile may be better for an EV - less drag and rolling friction - seen the wheels on a BMW i3?

Anyone doing this with a Smart ED should probably stick with the 165/65R15's.

IMG_20210413_172016298.jpg
IMG_20210413_172208927_HDR.jpg

·
Registered
4 Posts

I have a brand new set of stock front and rear wheels with tires whole set $500.00

·
Registered
986 Posts
I ended up opting for the 5.5 rims all around and 175/65R15's which are a bit on the big side and I would not recommend them. There is now about an 5% low odometer error, and range may suffer - a slower spinning electric motor has to produce more torque and thus draw more current. But I am stuck with them for a while now. The idea of using 4.5" front all around was that they are fine with the 165/65R15's and the narrower profile may be better for an EV - less drag and rolling friction - seen the wheels on a BMW i3?

Anyone doing this with a Smart ED should probably stick with the 165/65R15's.

View attachment 66080 View attachment 66081
I love the look and size. Nice thick sidewall providing a more comfortable ride for the little buckboard. Really fills out the wheel well.
Have you had any problems with them rubbing?

I agree with your BMW i3 skinny tire logic.
I think you would definitely gain mileage with skinny tires on the car, and I don't think it would affect handling all that much. We have all been lead to believe wide tire are the answer to everything. I'm guilty too.

·
Registered
884 Posts
I came across a set of my original style wheels for sale close by and had to have them. I have been looking to score a set and run all four rears since I initially took them off. I have been storing them in my closet for three years now, hopping for one day to come. Well that day was today, I should be scooping them up tomorrow morning. Can't wait, we are going back to stock wheels! They should be 15x6,5 inchers. I don't know yet if I will run all four tires at 205/50 15's or go with a wide 225/45 15 in the rear. The full plan would be to run all season tires on the four 6.5 inch rims and keep the four 5 inch rims for winter tires. All ways having the stock looking wheels on the ground. That should put my current Alutec Grip 3's for sale. and the Genius Darwins 17x6.5 and 17x7.5 Wheel combo, still on the wish list.

This is how we met, and soon may return,

·
Registered
1,245 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
I love the look and size. Nice thick sidewall providing a more comfortable ride for the little buckboard. Really fills out the wheel well.
Have you had any problems with them rubbing?
So far, only one corner, taken fast, that had a dip under the outside wheels in the the turn caused the outside tire to very lightly rub the inner fender.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts