Smart Car of America Forum banner
1 - 20 of 21 Posts

· Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
I would like a Start Button to replace the ignition barrel on my 2008 smart Passion 451.

Here is the URL to the Start Button sold by Smarts R Us, but I presume this product is NOT fot the 451.

http://www.smartsrus.com/acatalog/Smarts_R_us_webshop_Electrical_28.html

*xxx.smartsrus.com/acatalog/Smarts_R_us_webshop_Electrical_28.html*

Note 1: Thanks to iconpyro for this idea and for the URL.

Note 2: Evilution: Here is another project for you if you have the time and would be so kind to test this product and to to give us a step-by-step guide. Thanks.

Note 3: I have a start button on my wife's Lexus and I am in the habit of leaving the key in my pocket after I unlock the door (although I seldom drive the Lexus now that I have a smart.)

· Administrator
30,054 Posts
Since the key is tied to the security system and to the computer which starts the car (see SmartBillet's post on the issue with his trim ring disabling the start function) I'm not sure the key can be completely out of the loop. Somebody who really understands how all the electronics and security systems are tied together will have to weigh in on this one. But I like the concept! :)

· Read Only
4,476 Posts
I had a 'start' button on my Camry Hybrid... it's a great feature. But the smart key is a piece of cake to use (nice slot action), and the between-the-seat location is cool. I'd rather apply my accessory money to bigger bang-for-the-buck items until the day when keyless entry/start may be a standard feature.

· Banned
5,086 Posts
several years ago i added a 'start button' to my Honda Civic. still had to use the key to unlock the column and turn to the 'on' position, but you used the 'start button' to, well....START the car.

it was SWEET!!!!! got the idea from the Honda S2000 when they first came out.......:D

but i'm with "stevenvillatoro".....i'll put my money to better use. you know, like a pine tree air freshener or a leopard skin steering wheel cover! :rolleyes:

· Registered
156 Posts
No problem Smart in Paradise...

Just a nice concept that I think anyone can use. I have seen this put on several cars but then again I am not an electronics expert so hats off to anyone who figures out an ingenius way to get this rigged. It would be great too if some can show a clean place to mount the starter, making it nice and flushed and *lighted*!

· Banned
641 Posts
Well, I'm not a rocket scientist, but I did stay at a Holiday Inn Express last week ...

So here's my take on this interesting little mod.

As this car shares electronics with other Daimler vehicles, I'm fairly certain that - much like the mod I saw on (of all things) a Grand Cherokee - it's probably not that hard to do.

Note that I didn't say that it was cheap.

On the Grand Cherokee, the owner used a 2007 Mercedes E-Class start button and proximity key, which allowed him to keep the remote unlock, hatch release and remote start functions. These were all wired right in to the Chrysler electronics ... which were, of course, redone when Daimler owned significantly more of Chrysler than they do right now.

I don't know the cost of Mercedes start button, but at least there's a good starting point for this little mod.

Your pal,
Meat.

· Registered
27 Posts
Key

How about a smaller key that will fit in a pocket and not poke one's leg. On my C class Mercedes the key folds up into the fob. It makes a small package that fits nicely in the pocket. This is a large key for such a small car.

· Registered
11,473 Posts
several years ago i added a 'start button' to my Honda Civic. still had to use the key to unlock the column and turn to the 'on' position, but you used the 'start button' to, well....START the car.

it was SWEET!!!!! got the idea from the Honda S2000 when they first came out.......:D

but i'm with "stevenvillatoro".....i'll put my money to better use. you know, like a pine tree air freshener or a leopard skin steering wheel cover! :rolleyes:

HEY, don't forget the fuzzy dice!:)

· Registered
536 Posts
How about a smaller key ... This is a large key for such a small car.
This would have been a large key for a cold war era nuclear missle launch console! I just wish it had wheels on the big end so I wouldn't get so tired dragging it throught the airport.

I was thinking about having the side without the buttons strung up like my mandolin so I wont have to carry both to the ren fair. As a side note, a mandolin case makes really nice storage for your spare smart security system access terminal (aka "Key").

I have CTS so my daughter will sometimes meet me in the driveway and ask if she can carry anthing in for me. When I first brought Ruby home she asked and I just handed her the key.

It's WEIRD too.. Since I have infected said daughter with the D. Adams virus she said "What is this, the intergalatic hitchhiking thumb?"

· Registered
23 Posts
Best of all worlds?

What I'm surprised is that Kane (Mr. Evilution himself) has not yet tried integrating:

1. the Mercedes (IR-?) plug-in key-fob. Would also fit nicely to the ctr key console, is much more attractive and slightly more compact than the doofus smart key fob (which is not so doofus if you install a MDC start-button and remove the key-blade from the fob as I have done - I carry the blade in my wallet incase I lock the keys in my car, or the transmitter battery fails.)

2. a Keyless-Go system in to the car. With these, the transponder chip speaks to and unlocks the car when within a given distance of the car. The key(transponder) can even remain in your pocket.

Regards, Bob

· Registered
16 Posts
Add a start button. Same on the new and old smart.

Evilution - Smart Car Encyclopaedia

This looks like a good way to do it, and thanks for the wiring diagram so we know how it works. Heres my question: if you turn the key to position two and release - it sends a signal to the computer to start the car... if you have a switch in the default-off position in the way, won't the signal stop at the switch unless you're pushing it at the time? Wouldnt you need to be holding the button down while you turn the key for this to work or am I missing something? Thanks.

edit: okay I've thought about it and realize the error of my calculation. You're not putting a switch in the way, you're adding a second way of completing the circuit. Sorry for my ignorance!

1 - 20 of 21 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.