Smart Car of America Forum banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I bought a 2009 Smart in March to tow 4-down behind a Sprinter chassis motorhome.The combination is great, but my Smart is sitting at the dealership with a ruined engine.PLEASE BE AWARE ALL 4-DOWN TOWERS-EVEN THOUGH YOU HAVE YOUR GEAR SHIFT LEVER IN THE NEUTRAL POSITION THE TRANSMISSION CONTROL CAN POSSIBLY HAVE THE TRANSMISSION IN GEAR. DO NOT USE A AUTOMATIC BATTERY DISCONNECT SWITCH SUCH AS THOSE SOLD BY ROADMASTER.When these automatic switches allow the power to return to the electronics of the car there is a period where the transmission control is "teaching-in"(THE DISPLAY WILL HAVE 3 HORIZONTAL LINES-NO "N") and the transmission can actually be in gear even though the shifter is still in neutral.If you tow during this "teaching in"period:( it could ruin your engine.ONLY USE A MANUAL BATTERY DISCONNECT SWITCH AND MAKE SURE A "N" IS PRESENT ON THE DISPLAY BEFORE YOU DISCONNECT THE BATTERY AND START TO TOW.

·
Super Moderator
28,302 Posts
Well, welcome to SCoA! Very sorry to hear about the problem with your car and the ruined engine. Since you posted elsewhere about finding a replacement engine, unless you need the car immediately it sounds like having an independent shop fit one would be the least expensive way to go.

Here's a thread on independent repair shops: http://www.smartcarofamerica.com/forums/f183/independent-repair-shops-30548/?highlight=independent+shops

Peak Auto, Inc.
833 Hwy 64W
Apex, NC 27523
(919) 363-8589

Smart Car Auto Repair & Services for Raleigh, Durham, Cary & Apex | Peak Auto

Plus you can look here for places that may be able to work on your car: http://www.google.com/url?sa=t&source=web&cd=1&ved=0CFgQswYwAA&url=http://www.benzshops.com/&rct=j&q=mercedes benz repair shops &ei=miNNTqTsBMjD0AHip7TxBg&usg=AFQjCNE0Iev8pz4l-qzCS30vuqxxv7yJNg&cad=rja

:)

·
Registered
787 Posts
I bought a 2009 Smart in March to tow 4-down behind a Sprinter chassis motorhome.The combination is great, but my Smart is sitting at the dealership with a ruined engine.PLEASE BE AWARE ALL 4-DOWN TOWERS-EVEN THOUGH YOU HAVE YOUR GEAR SHIFT LEVER IN THE NEUTRAL POSITION THE TRANSMISSION CONTROL CAN POSSIBLY HAVE THE TRANSMISSION IN GEAR. DO NOT USE A AUTOMATIC BATTERY DISCONNECT SWITCH SUCH AS THOSE SOLD BY ROADMASTER.When these automatic switches allow the power to return to the electronics of the car there is a period where the transmission control is "teaching-in"(THE DISPLAY WILL HAVE 3 HORIZONTAL LINES-NO "N") and the transmission can actually be in gear even though the shifter is still in neutral.If you tow during this "teaching in"period:( it could ruin your engine.ONLY USE A MANUAL BATTERY DISCONNECT SWITCH AND MAKE SURE A "N" IS PRESENT ON THE DISPLAY BEFORE YOU DISCONNECT THE BATTERY AND START TO TOW.
I have discussed this very issue several times recently and in the past in the towing forum.

In my SCoA garage for my 2009 Passion I posted detailed information about the manual battery disconnect. I recently posted the flat towing instructions from the 2009 smart owners manual.

There are some smart owners who have said that they flat tow their smart without disconnecting the battery with no issues. They are the exception, not the rule.

Here is a related manual battery disconnect post. The Hella 87181 battery disconnect switch that I have is a $17 USD to $20 USD part. One can Google it.

I hope this thread yet again serves as a reminder that a manual battery disconnect AND following the flat towing instructions is required to flat tow a smart.

·
Registered
787 Posts
It seems like an arguement for the Smart Trailer.
Let's see: $2,800 USD for trailer or $1,550 for a "Falcon 2" on sale at Camping World + a manual battery disconnect, and performing a small set of instructions to be followed without question.

I went with the "Falcon 2" last March. I paid about $1,950 (installed). It wasn't on sale (If one has the extra money, I strongly recommend the All-Terrain Falcon 2. Being able to unhook the car on uneven surfaces is really nice). I had it installed in Oregon (no sales tax). I then paid my smart dealer $150 (installed) for the battery disconnect switch. If I had known what they were going to install for a switch (and where they installed it), I would have bought it online and installed it myself.

I copied/pasted the Before and After flat towing instructions from the PDF of the 2009 owners manual into MS Word. Then I increased the font size so that I could read it without my glasses. Then I printed it and laminated it at Staples (with 10 mil laminate). I keep it in the car. I follow it to the letter when I flat tow. I have had zero problems.

In the end I paid $2,100 for the tow bar and battery disconnect instead of $2,800. For saving $700 (in my case), it is worth my having to take an extra 2 minutes to put the car into flat towing mode.

·
Lifetime Member
11,307 Posts
I'm keeping on with being an exception and ensuring the interior of the car is clear to make sure the car is not inadvertently knocked into gear. As far as the trailer, very nice but some of the classier RV resorts (notice I did not say campground) frown on trailers, also the trailer is that much more stuff to take up room in your slot.

No battery disconnect for, livin life on the edge. (sarcasm intended). Not saying using one is bad - for me it is something I can live without - I am not alone)

·
Registered
8 Posts
Hello All, I installed a manual battery disconnect on my "Smart" outside of the car on the front right bottom side of the blinker, just below my tow hitch. I did the disconnects and gear in "N" as required, to the letter, went outside and locked my doors with the FOB switch. Then turned the manual battery switch off, same type in the picture posted. My doors remained locked, and the car was tow ready. I tried this multiple times, with no problem. Hopefully, I won't have lessons learned problems later on. Thanks all for your posts, they are very helpful-Toby.

·
Registered
433 Posts
I’ve always liked the convenience of towing all four down and have towed four different vehicles this way however the cost of a base plate installed has gone up so high the trailer is looking better all the time especially if you plan on buying a new car every two or three years.

·
Registered
787 Posts
Hello All, I installed a manual battery disconnect on my "Smart" outside of the car on the front right bottom side of the blinker, just below my tow hitch. I did the disconnects and gear in "N" as required, to the letter, went outside and locked my doors with the FOB switch. Then turned the manual battery switch off, same type in the picture posted. My doors remained locked, and the car was tow ready. I tried this multiple times, with no problem. Hopefully, I won't have lessons learned problems later on. Thanks all for your posts, they are very helpful-Toby.
Pictures please.

·
Premium Member
1,790 Posts
Sound like one solution, yet please forgive my ignorance. Can it be seen by the bad guys and if there is an alarm will it still work? I'm sure you worked all the details out ahead, but I'm just curious.:huh:

·
Banned
513 Posts
Camber, I see you took MB DNA's advice. I saw your old engine sitting outside on the drive. Were you happy with their service? Had our other car serviced there.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Sorry it has taken awhile to respond but I am very satisfied with Eurowise.They did an excellent job on replacing the engine.They charged $870 for labor as compared to $2600!!! the Smart of S.Charlotte was going to charge.I don't know if Eurowise will be able to do all future repairs on the Smart but i am going to try them first.Planning to take are other cars there as well.

·
Banned
513 Posts
Sorry it has taken awhile to respond but I am very satisfied with Eurowise.They did an excellent job on replacing the engine.They charged $870 for labor as compared to $2600!!! the Smart of S.Charlotte was going to charge.I don't know if Eurowise will be able to do all future repairs on the Smart but i am going to try them first.Planning to take are other cars there as well.
X3 (the times we have used them on the smart and Audi). Totally honest operation. Could have easily screwed us out of $800+ for an alternator we were sure that we needed. Told us they couldn't find anything wrong....$0.00 charge. Had the car for 24 hours. Most of the mechanics drive Audis Beemers, VWs and 1 superb Porsche kit car. A genuinely honest, competent and friendly shop.

They do subscribe to the smart on-line manual, but don't have too much experience working on them. I will always try them first on my smart.

·
I'll figger this car out
222 Posts
Toby (or anyone),
Are you saying that by disconnecting the battery and leaving the vehicle in neutral, you can tow it? Even if it has an AT?
Thanks!

1 - 20 of 20 Posts