Smart Car of America Forum banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've owned my 2018 Smart Fortwo for almost 1 year with no mechanical problems. About two months ago, after charging up to approximately 80%, the display showed a warning that stated, "Malfunction, Visit Workshop ". Since there are no longer any "Smart" workshops around, (I live about 70 miles north of Orlando, Florida) I just continued to drive it with no problems. Now, two months later after numerous charging cycles, I got another warning just like the first. The car still runs GREAT!
Has anyone had this same experience, and if so, is there anything to be concerned about, or that I can do to keep it from coming back?
Thank you!

·
Super Moderator
2,020 Posts
I'd think you should get the codes read to see what that error message is pointing to.

Len

·
Registered
118 Posts
I suspect any Mercedes dealer can scan the codes for $180. But I don’t think there are actually any user serviceable parts in the charging system. Aside from rats eating wires or connectors being broken.

·
Registered
1,484 Posts
I suspect any Mercedes dealer can scan the codes for $180. But I don’t think there are actually any user serviceable parts in the charging system. Aside from rats eating wires or connectors being broken.
The on board charger is plug-and-play replaceable item. Also wiring harness chafing on the right rear area - including the AC charging and signal wires - is a known issue. Search this forum with the term "chafing".

·
Registered
4 Posts
I had a similar problem. None of the easy fixes--turn off and wait--worked. Finally, I got an iCarsoft MB V3.0 for Mercedes-Benz/Sprinter/Smart Diagnostic Tool, which can reset some of the ED specific issues. The V2 or earlier will not see the car. I have no affiliation with the company.

The problem I had stemmed from a low accessory battery voltage rather than a real problem. In some Smart EDs, the low accessory battery voltage triggers some other incidental errors. Apparently this is a common problem that people spend quite a bit of money to get fixed. We have no Smart service centers within ED driving distance in SE Michigan, not even in Ann Arbor or Bloomfield Hills.

After replacing the accessory battery and getting nowhere with the various fixes recommended, I bought the MB V3 code reader. It found the specific issue and I cleared the code. It's been a year now with no issues.

·
Registered
27 Posts
...showed a warning that stated, "Malfunction, Visit Workshop ".
We have had this on our 2018 EQ never had one issue in our 2015 ED.

Under warranty the dealer has replaced the big battery twice with this error. The first replacement was a month after it was delivered, coming home from the coast, the battery went from 40% to 5% in about 5 minutes. We rolled to a shutdown stop just 400 feet from a charger. Able to start it 30 minutes later, we charged and replicated the problem close to home.

4 months for a battery replacement.

Then in the early spring this year, same error. MB picked it up, and tested it trying to find the problem. In the end, another new big battery. Another 4 months, this Smart only has 17,000 miles on it.

Here in the forum, the advise of letting is sit and restarting was a good option, but since it was still under warranty we let the dealer deal with it.

At this rate we will never have to change the decisdent out in the battery.

·
Registered
2 Posts
I had a similar problem. None of the easy fixes--turn off and wait--worked. Finally, I got an iCarsoft MB V3.0 for Mercedes-Benz/Sprinter/Smart Diagnostic Tool, which can reset some of the ED specific issues. The V2 or earlier will not see the car. I have no affiliation with the company.

The problem I had stemmed from a low accessory battery voltage rather than a real problem. In some Smart EDs, the low accessory battery voltage triggers some other incidental errors. Apparently this is a common problem that people spend quite a bit of money to get fixed. We have no Smart service centers within ED driving distance in SE Michigan, not even in Ann Arbor or Bloomfield Hills.

After replacing the accessory battery and getting nowhere with the various fixes recommended, I bought the MB V3 code reader. It found the specific issue and I cleared the code. It's been a year now with no issues.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Jim, I have a 2015 EV Smart convertible. Will the MB V3.0 work on my car. I'm in Traverse City, Mi., and, you are correct, the nearest authorized Benz is in Orland Park, Ill., waaaay south of Chicago. Quite a story getting a warranty drive battery replaced. Anyway, I'm well into my 8th decade on this beautiful earth so I either don't know jack **** about my Smart or I've forgotten it. BUT, I absofrickenlutely love my Smart and it's hilarious to me that so many people have a knot in their underwear over EVs simply because they are too opinionated and uniformed. And, I need the group's help to get it back on the road. Please advise asap. Same symptoms as you guys are talking about..
.... Warm regards, Joe Schichtel 231-883-6111

·
Registered
2017 453 Passion ED/EQ
441 Posts
Joe, your 2015 EV smart is a 451 model, right? Totally different from the 453 models discussed here. You need to search and read about the 451's charging failures after the 12v lead/acid starter battery wears out. Bottom line: if your car is still charging, great! Get the 12 lead acid battery replaced if it is more than 3 years old. Lots of choices on what to replace it with, does not have to be an OEM battery. Search the forum to see what others recommend. If the car is no longer charging, could be very bad news. Search the forum using keyword "brick". Or look at the "Recommended Reading " posts at the bottom of the page. There is a known issue with model 451 EV's where once the 12v starter battery fails for a certain period of time, the BMS system shuts down the main battery pack for good.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Jim, I have a 2015 EV Smart convertible. Will the MB V3.0 work on my car. I'm in Traverse City, Mi., and, you are correct, the nearest authorized Benz is in Orland Park, Ill., waaaay south of Chicago. Quite a story getting a warranty drive battery replaced. Anyway, I'm well into my 8th decade on this beautiful earth so I either don't know jack **** about my Smart or I've forgotten it. BUT, I absofrickenlutely love my Smart and it's hilarious to me that so many people have a knot in their underwear over EVs simply because they are too opinionated and uniformed. And, I need the group's help to get it back on the road. Please advise asap. Same symptoms as you guys are talking about..
.... Warm regards, Joe Schichtel 231-883-6111
Your's is the same 451 type as mine. I didn't see this thread was on the 453. Old eyes reading tiny print on a phone. Due to abandonment of the Smarts by so many dealers, it's possible you might have an independent shop in your area that will work on them.

I got the V3 model code reader on Amazon, after getting the V2. It has your model listed--at least assuming they haven't changed the firmware. Amazon has a good return policy, so I was able to return the V2 (which, inexplicably doesn't have your model) and get a V3.

The problem is that while the battery issue is a known bug with the 451s in that model range, you could also have a legitimate HV battery failure. But, the advice the other fellow gives is good. Look up the issue. If it's still charging, get a new 12 V battery. Sometimes it'll come back spontaneously. You can do the reset with the reader. Remember, however, that most auto parts stores list a replacement 12v battery that's bigger than the OEM battery for the 451, and can't be easily installed due to various control modules being in the way. I had to buy a new battery by measurement. For an exact replacement, they wanted something like $450. I bought my new 12V based on size.

·
Registered
2018 smart fortwo electric drive coupe prime
1 Posts
I have a 2018 ED. I've gotten the same warning occasionally over the last 3 years. I've gotten 2 software updates. I seem to get the message if I stop the charging cycle before it shuts off automatically. Also on hot days when I make a stop and then restart the car within a short period of time. Yes, the message will be gone the next time I start the car, if its been an hour or more. I don't lock the car at home in the garage, so not sure if that helps in clearing the message.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts