Smart Car of America Forum banner
1 - 20 of 55 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
To me this is bad news. I called 1-800 smart and emailed the question. I received the same answer. 2 years OR 24,000 miles. Additional warranty could be purchased through the dealer. This just tells me how they feel about the car. I think they will have lots of cancelations over this one!!

·
Registered
309 Posts
it can only mean one thing, unfortunately.

i've never heard of a vehicle with less than 3 years, 36,000.

they are warning front and center, the repair outlook is too costly for the company to bear.

ugg.

·
Registered
1,982 Posts
I'm glad to have the opportunity to save money on the initial purchase. So I can either buy piece of mind for 3-5 more years or pray nothing happens! I like having the choice.

This is the same warranty period smart offers in the UK http://www.smart.com/-snm-013520768...ii32jwrj$sjw-plvrxymvjlsw/UKWarrantyCover.pdf

In the UK smart also offers service contracts. Roger Penske has said smartUSA will offer a similar agreement here.

from UK smart said:
it works: Whether you choose a smart Service (service only) or smart Service Plus (service, maintenance and repair) contract, you’ll be able to fix your servicing costs for up to six years. So, whatever happens to parts or labour prices in future, your monthly payments won’t change. You can also rest assured that your car will always be serviced by specially trained technicians, using the latest diagnostic equipment, and fitting genuine smart parts.
The contracts are available for new and used cars from up to six years old and 120,000 miles from date of initial registration. Based on how many miles a year you do, we’ll calculate a monthly payment to cover all your servicing costs. We’ll even give you advice on which type of contract (Service or Service Plus) is best for you. And, should you choose to change your smart, the contracts are fully transferable to the new owner.
http://www.smart.com/-snm-013520768...urn:uuid:5752ac95-047b-59d5-8f8f-06588d1b0ad0

Daimler offers independent servicers and car owners access (for a fee) to online parts and service manuals
https://workshop.aftersales.daimlerchrysler.com/dcagportal/DCAGPortal

I can't read German or French to check what is offered there.

·
Registered
564 Posts
It has nothing to do with how confident they are in the car, and everything to do with achieving a specific price point. The identical car in Canada costs more to purchase in real terms, but comes with a 48 month or 50,000 mile warranty as standard.

Offering a longer warranty costs money, whether the car is a Kia or a BMW. PAG decided to go for the minimum entry price, and something had to give. At least you have the option of extending the warranty if that's a concern.

·
Registered
264 Posts
I agree that's it's all about the price. But I believe we might have had the longer Canadian waranty at our price point if the dollar Euro exchange had not deteriorated to the degree it has this past two years.

In international finance now the Euro is the new dollar and the dollar has become el peso de norte.

I think the big problem regarding the waranty will be the impression it gives consumers that the 4/2 is a disposable car- low priced and short waranty means that to most consumers when maybe, from a marketing perspective the company should be emphasizing it's toughness despite the small size.

·
Registered
931 Posts
Lots of cancellations???? How about 25,000 of them? (Wishful thinking on my part LOL). Many of us "old timers" remember buying new cars with 12/12000 limits and 30 or 90 days if you purchased used. It's realy no big deal. Would you prefer that PAG allowed dealers to pack the price of the car according to market pressures?

·
Smart A**
1,141 Posts
It's realy no big deal. Would you prefer that PAG allowed dealers to pack the price of the car according to market pressures?
Dealer mark-up, factory warranty mark-up....what's the difference? It's still a mark-up. If you don't buy the full warranty, you pay the service shop later.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Look at this from another point of view. MINI offers a 4/50 warranty and 3/36 free maintenance. Problem is there are only 82 dealers in the entire US, so many people have to drive hours to get to one of their dealers for repairs or the "free" maintenance. For major stuff they'll make the trip (or let Roadside Assistance tow it) but for simple stuff they'll DIY or find a local independent.

With a similar number of dealers for smart, it might not be a bad thing that you are not paying for a warranty that will require driving long distances to get to a dealer if you are not fortunate enough to have one close.

Also, like others have said, cutting the warranty coverage is a way to get a lower entry-level price once you've already cut "features" and don't really have any more to cut. If you want an extended warranty, they'll be available, hopefully at reasonble cost. If you do not and you'd prefer to take your chances, you'll save some money.

·
Registered
39 Posts
warranty

I think the warranty will come down to what it will cost to extend it. I sell new cars and the "advantage" to having a limited length warranty is it reduces cost. There are some decent aftermarket warranties that might be available, the danger there is thats where the profit could be for the dealer.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Would you be able to purchase an extended warranty from someone other than the dealer?? Does that type of thing exist?

·
Registered
264 Posts
The over riding issue for me right now - in light that it's now confirmed to be 2/24- is whether we can add the coverage 2 years after the purchase if we decide to keep our cars longer term after living with them for 2 years. Usually that is ok but I understand with some car companies you need to buy the extended warranty at purchase. Also if it is a time of purchase only option will it be transferrable? It seems to be that the more we learn the more questions we have!

·
Registered
671 Posts
Exactly Lewis. My question now, is how long (if any time) do you have to make a decision on extending the warranty. You could well have a first time purchaser that can barely provide a down payment to get the car, but would like to have a warranty longer than 2,24. The purchaser may not have the money now to extend the warranty, but could within the first year or two. Just curious how they will handle those type of requests.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Two and half years back i bought a Suzuki Vsrom...a motorcycle for the smae amount as $10K......and it had something of 2 year warrenty....seeing the smartcar is not bigger than a motorcycle..and the cost is somewhere very similar to what i paid for the vstrom....i guess its not a big deal to get extended warrenty for 50K miles...i hope the extended warenty is not more than $500..............

but warrenty always sounds better than anything

·
Registered
1,982 Posts
Would you be able to purchase an extended warranty from someone other than the dealer?? Does that type of thing exist?
Yes they do, an no you shouldn't Most consumer groups never recommend purchase of a third party extend warranty. The all recommend that if you are going to buy one, get the one offered by the factory.

In the UK you can buy an extended warranty on a used smart directly from smart. Hopefully that will be available here.

·
Registered
564 Posts
...I think the big problem regarding the waranty will be the impression it gives consumers that the 4/2 is a disposable car- low priced and short waranty means that to most consumers when maybe, from a marketing perspective the company should be emphasizing it's toughness despite the small size...

I think this is indeed going to be a perception issue for smart:
America's shortest car. America's shortest warranty.
Not the kind of image you want to project when launching a new brand...

·
Registered
1,860 Posts
AFAIK there is no such product for sale as an "extended warranty"

In America, these products are legally called "service contracts" or "service plans"

Most of the time a "factory sponsored" service contract/plan is cheaper at initial purchase of the car.

Many of the factory sponsored plans can be purchased later but before the initial factory warranty is expired. Buy this way usually costs $100-250 dollars more.

Some factory sponsored service plans can be purchased after the initial warranty is expired but they are even more expensive because you end up paying the "used vehicle" pricing.

Third party plans are the most problematic in that they almost always have deep exclusions, and most of them require pre authorization before any repair is started, additionally many of them require the service or repair to be done by someone in "their network"... Internet RV forums are full of horror stories on every third party plan provider you can name... there are also a LOT of horror stories about the Factory plans also

Edmond's and other auto buying sites all agree that these products are one of the highest profit areas in car sales. They also advise against third party plans. They note that Factory plans have the least amount of hassle getting a repair done

Because of the very integrated safety, emissions, and power management computers and other electro mechanical devices on the Smart car, I assume that any service plan will be a bit expensive...I bet right now the very least expensive one will be in the $700~900 range

I now buy the Ford Gold ESP plans on the high-end trucks that I have decided to keep for 5 or more years.... and I buy just before the 3/36 is expired.... I accept the extra $100 cost of waiting...

In the past I have passed on the extended service plan only later to have a Major multi system failure.... $2359.99 for the plan or $7984.99 for the repairs out on the road (yes Virginia a burned up Ford 4R100 auto trany can get damned expensive)

One F250 truck cost $1984 for the Gold plan and I never used it. When the truck was totaled FoMoCo gave me back a prorated $1250.

This current F350 the Gold ESP was $2300 negotiated down from $3680 because I am a good customer... I know other folks who got deeper discounts... point is they are usually NEGOTIABLE!

I plan of modifying the Lil Smart so 2/24 is OK with me
I doubt I will sell her any time soon (unless I get some insane high bucks offer out of the blue) so I will decide later if extended service contracts make sense

I am still researching but one of the Brit sites have a guy from Smarts R Us claim that ALL 450-451 transmissions had an internal oil seal that craps out in the 50K mile range.... sounds labor intensive to fix a cheap part... can not tell yet if it trashes all sorts of other things... I hope he was just assuming the 451 trany would have the same problem.....

Either way we have a ways to go to see if the 451 is reliable or problem child.... decisions on extended service plans are going to be a hot topic in these forums

·
Registered
1,982 Posts
I added an extra two years for my '07 Prius. Cost me $500.... I figured that was the cost of one small repair down the line for the complicated hybrid system. I can't figure that the smart is any more to repair than a hybrid.

1 - 20 of 55 Posts