Smart Car of America Forum banner

What is the minimum full warranty period you would accept without additional charge?

• 1 year

Votes: 1 1.0%
  • 2 years

Votes: 12 12.2%
  • 3 year

Votes: 58 59.2%
  • 4 years

Votes: 21 21.4%
  • 5 years

Votes: 6 6.1%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
1 - 20 of 30 Posts

·
Smart A**
1,141 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
jwight had a great suggestion that we email to Penske our thoughts on the warranty period to help them establish the policy based on our druthers. Here's a poll to consolidate that opinion and maybe our site administrator could forward the results over to Penske.

·
Senior Smartie
1,263 Posts
Great Idea, Ihoboy!

jwight had a great suggestion that we email to Penske our thoughts on the warranty period to help them establish the policy based on our druthers. Here's a poll to consolidate that opinion and maybe our site administrator could forward the results over to Penske.
This kind of interaction may actually fall into the hands of somebody who gives a damn and help them to fine tune their program for the betterment of all. This kind of early adopting is the fun part.

·
Smart A**
1,141 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
This is some pretty compelling feedback, but not yet statistically significant. It will be when we have a little more than 300 responses. Hopefully, we can get that many.

·
Super Moderator
28,907 Posts
Need more responses

Yeah, they're looking at selling 20K cars and we have 21 responses so far; need MANY more.

·
Registered
968 Posts
This is what they should see. What the customer wants. And what is wrong with that? Nothing.
Keep the customer happy!
Especially if you don't want to suddenly end up with a lot of unsold cars.
Are you listening Roger?

Probably (Hopefully?) a lurker out there.

·
Registered
196 Posts
2 years when every GM has 5yr/100,000 miles?

I love the SMART and want to keep embracing the shortcomings.. but with uninspiring mpg estimates, no Start-Stop, no diesel, kinda wierd transmission, some very unflattering reviews and now.. potentially the worst warranty in the entire industry, it's getting hard to feel 'SURE' about it. A new Hyundai Accent is under $11,000 with a 10 year/100,000 mile warranty. Chevy Aveo, 5 year/100,000 miles..Not that they have the appeal of the ForTwo, but realistically, there's a point where I'm wondering where the SMART has much "WOW" factor besides its size. It at least needs a good warranty. If it's only 2 years, then they need to offer courtesy cars for any service and good roadside service.

·
Registered
181 Posts
yet another additional cost?

so....

i realize this thread is on getting more for the price but...

would you pay say a $100 to extend a year, $200, how bout $500 for five years?

·
Senior Smartie
1,263 Posts
5 years for $500 would be good

so....

Five additional years on top of a 3 year warranty would be what I would expect for $500...not $500 beginning from brand new.

As briefly as possible, I want to share an experience I just had regarding my wife's '03 Acura TL. We bought it in the Summer of '05 as a lease turnback with 23k miles on Acura's (Honda's) Certified Used car program. The warrantee included a 7 year, 100,000 mile powertrain coverage with no deductible, which I thought was kind of excessive but nonetheless, a good thing to have. Given Honda's excellent reputation for reliability, the deal was golden.
Well, last week, without any warning, the transmission trashed itself right in downtown Albany while my wife drove into work! It quite simply just would not propel the car at all, totally slipping in all gears!
I had it towed to the dealership, thinking it was something simple like bad shift code or a bad shifter or something like that. NOPE! The transmission was SHOT! :eek: A new one was ordered and the car as we speak is undergoing a transmission transplant. (estimated replacement cost=$2800. :eek: :eek:
So I am very glad that powertrain warranty was in place. A search on the net revealed widespread transmission failures on '01-'03 Acura's with the SS trans (sport shift) which I or the wife never use.
So a decent warranty can be a good thing to have in this case, no doubt. Our reservations concerning the Getrag trans in the Smart and it's *different* mode of operation (hesitation) could become a long term can of worms for the car...I certainly hope not...:eek:

John

·
Smart A**
1,141 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
so....

It's unlikely that an extended coverage is going to be that cheap unless it is for the drivetrain only. These days, the drivetrain is the cheap part to fix. The big bucks are in the computers, electronics, wiring harnesses and sensors.

Four years of extended full coverage for a MINI (just a little more expensive) costs $1800.

·
Registered
275 Posts
Trophy Nissan really wanted me to buy an extended warranty from them and started the bidding out at $3000 for a 4/60 Bumper to Bumper. I promptly told them that I didn't need to buy the pickup if they were that unsure of their product. He then immediately reduced it to $2000 for a 5/75 power train which I said NO! Persistence paid off, because I ended up buying an extended warranty that I originally had no desire for at $500 for a 5/75 power train.

·
Smart A**
1,141 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Trophy Nissan really wanted me to buy an extended warranty from them and started the bidding out at $3000 for a 4/60 Bumper to Bumper. I promptly told them that I didn't need to buy the pickup if they were that unsure of their product. He then immediately reduced it to $2000 for a 5/75 power train which I said NO! Persistence paid off, because I ended up buying an extended warranty that I originally had no desire for at $500 for a 5/75 power train.
Dave,
You struck a great deal. What was the standard warranty? The $1800 on the MINI extended 4/48 beyond the standard warranty of 4/50 (total 8/98 bumper to bumper)

·
Registered
275 Posts
Dave,
You struck a great deal. What was the standard warranty? The $1800 on the MINI extended 4/48 beyond the standard warranty of 4/50 (total 8/98 bumper to bumper)
It was 4/48 power train 3/36 bummer to bumper. I though they were nuts, but they were trying to recoup some of the cost after knocking off $3500 off of the retail price, and it wasn't that expensive of vehicle in the first place($17,900 MSRP). My Father was sitting there being silent and was amazed at the deal I struck, and he has been known to get some really good deals in his time. This last vehicle, I knocked off $7000 off of the msrp, but Mazda had several incentives at the time. It's really going to hurt having to pay retail for a smart...:rolleyes:

1 - 20 of 30 Posts