Smart Car of America Forum banner

1 - 20 of 57 Posts

·
Registered
931 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
According to an article detailing the silicon valley introduction of smart this past week the factory is only giving a 2/24000 bumper to bumper, with an option to extend to 3/36000 for a price. :eek:

If accurate, this would cause many prospective buyers second thoughts.

It just doesn't make sense for them to kick off a new brand showing such lack of confidence in their product.

This could point me in the direction of a 36 month "test drive" via a lease.

;)

·
Registered
517 Posts
Which article was that? That's a very disappointing number; hopefully it'll come with something to counter-act it, like free towing if necessary (since for some of us it'll be quite a haul to the dealer for warranty work).

·
Registered
117 Posts
This is interesting - as the 2008 Canadian Smart 451 has:

New car warranty:
48 months or 80,000 kilometres, whichever occurs first.

Adjustment period:
12 months or 20,000 kilometres, whichever occurs first.

Emission warranty:
24 months or 40,000 kilometres, whichever occurs first.

Surface corrosion:
48 months or 80,000 kilometres, whichever occurs first.

Perforation:
60 months unlimited kilometres.

BUT check this out too - http://www.mercedes-benz.ca/mbccustom/smart_pricecard_eng.pdf.

Any educated guesses??

·
Premium Member
319 Posts
2 year/24,000 mile warranty

I read the same thing in a St. Louis newspaper on 10/28. Thought the guy had in wrong, but it appears to be fed from the smartUSA folks. Maybe its just a way to put a feeler out there to see the reaction. My suggestion: call 1-800-smartUSA to express your concerns. Voice opinions now. This car deserves a much better warranty.

Ron Gaus, aSmartcar.com

·
Smart A**
1,141 Posts
I read the same thing in a St. Louis newspaper on 10/28. Thought the guy had in wrong, but it appears to be fed from the smartUSA folks. Maybe its just a way to put a feeler out there to see the reaction. My suggestion: call 1-800-smartUSA to express your concerns. Voice opinions now. This car deserves a much better warranty.

Ron Gaus, aSmartcar.com
The last time I saw 2yr/24k on a warranty was on my '74 Mustang II. Sorry, not buying anything with that short a warranty anymore. All the problems on my MINI occurred in years 3 and 4.

I'm hoping the reporting is in error.

·
Super Moderator
28,915 Posts
In the USA at least, the emission system is required by the EPA to be covered for 5 yrs/50K miles. Hopefully smart usa and MB will realize you can't offer something as a "premium" automobile with only a 2 yr/24K mile warranty. If this turns out to be correct I think many of us will look elsewhere. :(

UPDATE: Just had a reply from smart customer service (pretty fast!):

Dear smart Enthusiast, Thank you for your interest in smart USA. The warranty on the smart fortwo is yet to be determined. Complete product definition will be available as we get closer to the market launch of this exciting vehicle.

·
Registered
36 Posts
A warranty that short would hurt the brand

Smart is introducing itself to the American market, and it is going to run into a lot of skepticism in the market (beyond its initial enthusiasts) because of its small size and relatively low cost. A car brand that wants to show confidence in itself and instill confidence in its potential buyers will offer a warranty that is longer and more comprehensive than the average. That's what Hyundai did when it offered a ten-year warranty to signal that South Korea was now producing quality cars that drivers could depend on.

A 2-year/24,000-mile warranty would send the message to American car buyers, including the initial enthusiasts, that Smart thinks its cars are going to need a lot of service and aren't going to last long on the road. It would be penny-wise and pound-foolish for Smart to undermine the brand in order to save a few dollars on service for the (hopefully) small number of cars that will need extensive service in their third or fourth years.

·
Banned
3,834 Posts
The 2007 UK 451 warranty is also two years, with no mileage stated. (Surprisingly, so is the service interval: two years or 25,000 miles, with an oil service at one year or 12,500 miles.) Could the short warranty info have been wrongly taken from Europe? Maybe the 2008 N.A. smart will be different; apparently the Canadian sector is.

·
Registered
15 Posts
I just sent an email to Smart USA telling them that a 2yr/24,000 mile warranty isn't long enough. They need to show confidence in the car by offering a longer warranty. If everybody would email them, maybe they would get the message.
Cliff

·
Banned
3,834 Posts
A phone call to smartUSA this morning indicated that the issue is "under discussion." They are aware of consternation over pre-mature information about 24/24,000, and that M-B Canada is going for 48/80kiloclicks (probably from previous phone-ins).

·
Senior Smartie
1,263 Posts
Hopefully in the next month or two we'll find out for sure about that.. Yes, a 2 year warranty would definitely suck for a 1 st year model especially.

Sends a very bad message. :(

·
Registered
834 Posts
I don't know if that is a bad deal or not. A shorter warranty keeps the initial price down. One of the selling points of the cars low price. In addition it seems like most US buyer only keep a car a year or two, so the original buyer is protected.

If there are plans to make them available for lease, I would think that the warranty would have to be about 3 years.

For someone like me that drives a car for over 5 years I would be willing to spend more for the security, as long as it is a reasonable amount.

It really allows for customization of the purchase.

·
Banned
3,834 Posts
Custom Warranty

Everything about the smart is a whole different paradigm - the car, the manufacture, the distribution, the custom ordering, the display towers. So, a different, customizable warranty program sort of fits too. After listening to Schembri's explanation I'm not adverse to giving it a chance. I could probably do with the 24/24k, as I will use the car as it is intended -- an easy-going urban runner. If I had it in mind to flog it out on Richmond Road hauling Fords in the stoplight grand prix I might have to opt for 36/36k or better.

·
Registered
1,606 Posts
OK, right from the horses mouth (Mr. Schembri I believe) on a You Tube video. Their logic behind the short warranty is another personalization feature. If you're the guy who gets a new car every two years or so that's it. If you want 3/36 or 4/48 you can buy that too. It's a real Smartcar warranty not a fly by night group for later repairs. :)

·
Registered
517 Posts
I have a feeling that's not how it's going to be perceived; I hope the increase rates are reasonable (although I'm going to have a very tough time getting past my aversion to extended warranties).

·
Registered
931 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Fits right in with my plan to lease for 36 months, then purchase if I like it. A three year test dirve beats the 10 minute one I took today!

P.S. Power steering would be a waste of money.

:D

·
Super Moderator
28,915 Posts
OK, right from the horses mouth (Mr. Schembri I believe) on a You Tube video. Their logic behind the short warranty is another personalization feature. If you're the guy who gets a new car every two years or so that's it. If you want 3/36 or 4/48 you can buy that too. It's a real Smartcar warranty not a fly by night group for later repairs. :)
Wow; can't believe they really intend to do that. Every Chevrolet comes with a 5 yr/50K warranty, including the Aveo. No extra cost involved. I'm not sure the word logic applies to their thinking. If I'm not mistaken, you can buy a Hyundai for less money than a smart and get a 10 yr/100K mile warranty. With that, I don't care how much better a smart may be, someone can drive the Hyundai for 10 years at virtually no cost other than gas, oil and normal replacement items.
This "expandable" warranty is a non-starter for me. :(

·
Smart A**
1,141 Posts

So this is where the nickel and diming starts. Do we have to pay extra for the steering wheel and brake pads too? :mad:

1 - 20 of 57 Posts