Smart Car of America Forum banner
1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Here is my questiion in telegraphic english:

The dealer says that it is the earlier of "2 years or 24,000 miles" - in other words, WHICH EVER COMES FIRST. (THIS CAR ilesis 28 months old but has 3k miles)
Seller says whichever comes later. Hi smartcar geeks and geniuses: who is right??

:)

·
Registered
3,456 Posts
here is my questiion in telegraphic english:

The dealer says that it is the earlier of "2 years or 24,000 miles" - in other words, which ever comes first. (this car ilesis 28 months old but has 3k miles)
seller says whichever comes later. Hi smartcar geeks and geniuses: Who is right??

:)
which ever comes first

·
Registered
62 Posts
OK, if nobody else says it I will - 2 YEARS/ 24K MILES MATCHES THE CAR'S SIZE - SKIMPIEST EVER!!! No, it is NOT competitive, and NO, I DO NOT LIKE IT.

That said, after just turning 30k miles, the only thing I've had fail on Mr. Bean has been a light bulb (after less than 2 weeks) and a warranty covered AC valve after 8k miles. I've also found my own maintenance service is better than the rediculously overpriced and overdone Mercedes schedule.

GREAT little car which I love, but never have and never will like the 2/24 deal or the way out of like maintenance schedules and prices.

·
10Year+ Supporting Member
3,812 Posts
My car ran out of warranty last month at 2,135 miles. No big deal to me, never been a fan of factory warranties anyway. The only time my dealer has seen my car since purchase to to replace the non-sticky Brabus gas door decal. I do all my own maintance on my stuff and hope to do whatever my smart will need in the future.

·
Registered
2,653 Posts
My car ran out of warranty last month at 2,135 miles. No big deal to me, never been a fan of factory warranties anyway. The only time my dealer has seen my car since purchase to to replace the non-sticky Brabus gas door decal. I do all my own maintance on my stuff and hope to do whatever my smart will need in the future.
Boy! I thought I had a young car at 6500 miles and will be two years old in November this year! :D

·
Registered
4,646 Posts
When MBUSA takes over, the warranty surely would go to 4 years/50,000 miles, just as it's been in Canada since Day One.

·
Registered
1,614 Posts
When MBUSA takes over, the warranty surely would go to 4 years/50,000 miles, just as it's been in Canada since Day One.
I don't think I ever heard that particular little fact. Boy did we in the USA get ripped off. I just thought the 2 year/24,000 mile warranty was roughly the same wherever it is sold.

IF the warranty changes, I'm sure also that it will only change on vehicles sold after a certain date. There is no way they would retroactively extend warranties.

What is it in Europe??

·
Ex Admin/mod.
9,491 Posts
... What is it in Europe??
I.e. my US$17,500 passion would cost US$27,450 at today's rate (CHF24,950) in Switzerland, would have a 3 years/no mileage limit full warranty, plus 10 years limited rust coverage. :rolleyes:

To be fair the Swiss Franc's never been so "expensive", meaning it's exchange rate is so bad that tourists are shunning Switzerland, where the cost of living is probably the highest in Europe.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts