Smart Car of America Forum banner

1 - 20 of 44 Posts

·
Registered
69 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Anybody know when there will be another ride and drive opportunity in the DC area/NoVA? Thanks!

·
Smart A**
1,141 Posts
Nov 5 was the last of the Smart Road Tour. Dealer sponsored events might still happen this year, but I don't see the point for them, since they have a backlog of orders to carry them well into 2009 even if there is substantial attrition of those on the waiting list. Also, the demo fleet has probably gone home for the holiday season.

Future demos will be left to the dealerships at the beginning of the year.

·
Registered
1,982 Posts
Fly to LAX. The smart house is about 3 miles away from the airport. They got six US spec smarts there now. Test drive from 11-5 Tuesday through Saturday. I drove one yesterday, nice!

·
Registered
151 Posts
SPdickey,
Since you have driven them more than once around a big block......What do you think of the difference in the $450 pwr steering assist option and the w/o it? The one I drove in Dallas, steered fine, but the hesitation with the gas pedal threw me and didn't think to ask if that car had the pwr assist or not? I wish I could drive one w/o it so I know what to expect if I pass on that option.

·
Registered
1,982 Posts
Can't comment on the power steering, forgot to ask what I was driving. It was a fairly loaded Passion, however. Whatever it was, it was fine. Whatever they did to the US spec transmission I was amazed how smooth it has become. Wow, it was terrific in both D and +/-. Rep said it was better than the Euro ones they had before, shift points between 1-2 and 4-5 have been adjusted to happen earlier.

·
Registered
197 Posts
SMART tour location in Farifax

Excellent
The location is across I-66 from Fair Oaks Mall, its only 2 hours from my house. Will definitely make this one.
Google map the location "11900 Palace Way, Fairfax, VA 22030"

·
Registered
69 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Thanks! Yeah my buddy just emailed the information to me. I will definitely be there. I live about 1 hr 45 min south of Fair Oaks Mall, but I grew up in NoVA (Reston) so I know my way around pretty well

·
Registered
18 Posts
I'm also going to see them. Time may prevent me from test driving depending on the wait. Can't wait...literally. :)

The test drive area is near a number of dealers on nearby Rt 50, but as I gathered from the proposed list of dealers, they aren't on it. Anybody drive by the Rt50 I66 intersection dealers and see any smart related construction?

·
Registered
35 Posts
Public transportation to event in Fairfax.

:eek: This might be a bit of a strange question for some of y'all...

I've been trying to figure a way to get to the event in Fairfax next weekend using public tranfportation, but for the life of me can't figure it out. I'm fine with the DC Metro part, but once in Fairfax county, the busses seem not to be scheduled on the weekend. I could rent a Zip car, but I'd really don't want to do that.

Any thoughts would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks!!

MK

PS... would it be so hard to have a DC event actually in DC???:p

·
Smart A**
1,141 Posts
:eek: This might be a bit of a strange question for some of y'all...

I've been trying to figure a way to get to the event in Fairfax next weekend using public tranfportation, but for the life of me can't figure it out. I'm fine with the DC Metro part, but once in Fairfax couny, the busses seem to be scheduled on the weekend. I could rent a Zip car, but I'd really not have to do that.

Any thoughts would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks!!

MK

PS... would it be so hard to have a DC event actually in DC???:p
I think you need the Metro 2B bus: 2B Schedule

Runs weekdays and a separate Saturday schedule. You can get to fair Oaks Mall which should be a short walk from the dealer. The 2B stops at the Vienna/Fairfax-GMU Metro station.

·
Registered
18 Posts
Just came back from the Friday 12/7 DC ride. The people there were very nice. Weather was not so nice with rain/sleet. Got to meet a few of the other forum members and had 2 rides before lunch. I was most interested in the shifting. I took one test drive only in auto, the other with mixed auto manual. I can see myself leaving it in auto most of the time. They had 4 american versions rolling with 1 european on static display (and the cut away cage model). I came away saying "yup, this is it". Too bad it'll be the wife's car.

1 - 20 of 44 Posts