Smart Car of America Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
228 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
After reading Kkercg's question about a cross country trip and the good advice of several to take a spare tire, I thought I might share something that happened to me last fall. Took a trip to Texas after installing a new set of tires. Had been cruising at 70 mph and slowed to about 50 for a sharp curve and coming out of the curve and starting to accelerate I started to hear road noises and a little fishtailing. I pulled over and found a rear tire with almost shredded sidewalls. I had to have driven with a low tire for some time to do that kind of damage, but with those rough-surface Texas hiways and a me being tired and not noticing the low tire warning it caught me by surprise. The moral being, watch your tire pressure. Those low-profile tires and a noisy highway can camoflage an approaching problem. I did have a spare, luckily! I was thinking bad thoughts about that new tire....a blowout in the first 500 miles....until I got home and found a piece highway debris embedded in the tread. Obviously I had driven for several miles on a very low tire without being aware of it.

·
Registered
2,232 Posts
Because it's so easy to forget, I always check the tire pressure the first of the month. I also check the spare's pressure that's in the trunk.

Bob Diaz

·
Registered
1,709 Posts
Did the TPMS warning light actually go on, and you just didn't notice it? Or is it a case where the damage happened and the warning light didn't activate?

I ask because I thought I'd read in a tech manual that the TPMS only checks every few minutes, it's not a blowout alert or immediate read. I believe it's designed to help alert to slow leaks or slight underpressure which becomes an issue on hard cornering, etc.

·
Registered
1,285 Posts
Our one and only blowout was at about 70MPH and we only noticed it when we saw the tire pass us on the right. We immediately entered the Mobile, AL tunnel on I-10, so continued to the downtown exit, figuring the damage had been done. Once into the city, we pulled over and discovered that the beads of the right rear tire were still on the rim and had served us well for the last few miles without the body of the tire. Amazing! No damage to the rim at all.

·
Registered
4,221 Posts
I had a nail in my tire and within 2 miles I went from 36 psi to 12psi in the tire. When I was driving I didn't notice any handling changes.

·
Registered
267 Posts
I have the following items in my trunk door compartment. I've never had to use them yet but I'm prepared. (don't want to carry around a spare) I have USAA road side assistance anyway.

Tire Repair Kit
Victor 22-5-00106-8 Heavy Duty Tubeless Tire Repair Kit : Amazon.com : Automotive

Slime Tire Repair Rubber Cement .41 oz
One 1 Slime Tire Repair Rubber Cement 41 oz New | eBay

Compact 12v Air Compressor
12V Air Compressor - 250 PSI, Compact Air Compressor

The Gauge wasn't accurate so I replaced it with.

PneumaticPlus PSL15-160 Pressure Gauge
PneumaticPlus PSL15-160 Pressure Gauge, Lower Mount, 1-1/2" Dial, 0-160 PSI, 1/8" NPT: Amazon.com: Industrial & Scientific

&
1/8" NPT Female X 1/16" NPT Male
Parker Brass Pipe Fitting, Reducing Adapter, 1/8" NPT Female X 1/16" NPT Male: Amazon.com: Industrial & Scientific

I also have this just in case it's worse:
Slime 10004 (16 oz)
Amazon.com: Slime Tube Sealant: Automotive

·
Registered
1,285 Posts
All that stuff is fine, but if you have a blowout, it will be useless. That is when you need a spare mounted on a front rim, which you can use front or rear to get to a service point. In any case, finding a replacement tire can take days. When we had our blowout in Mobile, we had to buy a different brand one size larger than the original. In Texas, we shopped for a match, but had no luck. Once home in Mexico, we ordered one and it took three weeks to locate and deliver. We then sold the other original tire and bought a pair of front tires, just as they were being discontinued. We mounted one on a second hand rim and had a bag made to carry it behind the passenger seat as a spare. Of course, we also have a jack and 15mm lug wrench, as well as the smart pump and goop. That guarantees that we will never even have a soft tire.

·
Registered
246 Posts
I agree with RVGringo. All that stuff will be of no help if your tire is flat and you don't know it. I was at a Walmart, got in the car and took off and people started pointing at my car. I had picked up a nail there and driven about 100 feet. That destroyed the tire. When that happens it's new tire time. Fortunately I was able to leave the car there and special ordered a new tire the next day and off I went. I always carry an old VW scissors jack so I jacked it up in a parking slot and hoped no one would mess with it.

·
Registered
302 Posts
That kit, while comprehensive, will be useless if you have a sidewall injury. For me, I seem to always have a sidewall injury, which can't be patched. Rather it can be patched, but it won't last since the sidewalls carry the bulk of the stress on a tire. Unfortunately the only cure is to replace the tire. For those of you who have spares, this is not a huge problem. For the rest of us, well...
P.S. TireRack.com sells OEM tires, as well as snows for our cars. Again, much cheaper than purchasing them from the dealer.

·
Registered
2,829 Posts
I have the following items in my trunk door compartment. I've never had to use them yet but I'm prepared. (don't want to carry around a spare) I have USAA road side assistance anyway.

Tire Repair Kit
Victor 22-5-00106-8 Heavy Duty Tubeless Tire Repair Kit : Amazon.com : Automotive

Slime Tire Repair Rubber Cement .41 oz
One 1 Slime Tire Repair Rubber Cement 41 oz New | eBay

Compact 12v Air Compressor
12V Air Compressor - 250 PSI, Compact Air Compressor

The Gauge wasn't accurate so I replaced it with.

PneumaticPlus PSL15-160 Pressure Gauge
PneumaticPlus PSL15-160 Pressure Gauge, Lower Mount, 1-1/2" Dial, 0-160 PSI, 1/8" NPT: Amazon.com: Industrial & Scientific

&
1/8" NPT Female X 1/16" NPT Male
Parker Brass Pipe Fitting, Reducing Adapter, 1/8" NPT Female X 1/16" NPT Male: Amazon.com: Industrial & Scientific

I also have this just in case it's worse:
Slime 10004 (16 oz)
Amazon.com: Slime Tube Sealant: Automotive

Uhh, while I think the slime tube sealant is overkill where the plug kit would work, I find it funny that everyone complains about your kit being not able to handle all situations. I personally noticed you have "road side assistance" to boot. That is as comprehensive as I can think of. Carrying around a spare and associated equipment to change the flat in/on such a small car is not something I'm too keen on doing. BTW- My smart came with a compressor sealant kit. Does yours not have the compressor???

Those who had trouble finding a tire: I wonder if ordering from tirerack and having it shipped to the installer would have saved time. They have warehouses "strategically placed" around the country for faster delivery.

·
Registered
220 Posts
In the little more than a year I've been driving mine I've already been unfortunate enough to pick up two rear punctures, but the first was probably to be expected because I was driving on the shoulder of the road while following two cyclist friends for quite a long time. I was lucky, on the other hand, in that the right tyres were readily available at tyre fitment centres in both cases.

In the first case I drove to the dealer for a completely different reason, and they told me that the left rear had been completely destroyed. Thinking back, I realised that the steering had felt slightly sluggish the previous night and on the way to them, but there was no other indication that I had been driving on three good tyres. :eek: I don't have a TPMS, but I'm actually considering getting something like a Tyredog, which would give me constant pressure readouts of all four tyres.

·
Registered
246 Posts
If you're in the wrong place and wrong time and get a flat that Slime or concrete won't fix - that's what I call road side non-assistance. In simpler English - "screwed."

·
Registered
267 Posts
True True, but it's the best I can do short of carrying a spare tire.
(takes up too much room) I'll just reply on my USAA Road Side assistance for anything else. (my bank's version of AAA)

Here is a photo of my new modded air compressor with the parts above. It's very accurate now!

I like it because it fits in the flip down compartment.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts