1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Banned
3,834 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Thread re-titled by originator.

Quote:
"Originally Posted by jwight
How did I miss this one; it uses one of those carburettors that turns water into fuel."

This could open up some non-smart, "Car Lounge" musing.

Water injection can equate to increased power and performance. It was used direct-injected during WW II in piston-engined fighter aircraft, and like the Alfetta Tipo 158/159, along with methanol. The aircraft used the methanol as antifreeze, not fuel - much different proportions. Even the U.S. Post Office played with it a few years ago. It is infact an "octane booster" for very high compression engines. Don't know what it would do to exhaust systems, nor N2O emissions (nitric acid maybe?). Just a thought.

·
Registered
834 Posts
Thread re-titled by originator.

Quote:
"Originally Posted by jwight
How did I miss this one; it uses one of those carburettors that turns water into fuel."

This could open up some non-smart, "Car Lounge" musing.

Water injection can equate to increased power and performance. It was used direct-injected during WW II in piston-engined fighter aircraft, and like the Alfetta Tipo 158/159, along with methanol. The aircraft used the methanol as antifreeze, not fuel - much different proportions. Even the U.S. Post Office played with it a few years ago. It is infact an "octane booster" for very high compression engines. Don't know what it would do to exhaust systems, nor N2O emissions (nitric acid maybe?). Just a thought.
As I remember it from my days of flying with a Pratt & Whitney R2800-99W the water injection is for cooling. During high power settings the fuel mixture had to be excessively rich to combat pre-ignition. The use of water alcohol injection allowed the mixture to be leaned out not only for better economy but for more power. If I remember the horsepower of the engine was increased about 20% with water injection on. I am probability missing something here because I was doing that almost 50 years ago.

·
aka '24-42'
930 Posts
I still have a NIB "Octa-Gane 50". The injector slowed down the 'Flame-front' and the 'Propagation' phases of combustion (Raised Octane rating).

`Donald LaFavor

·
Banned
3,834 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
The only thing that this has to do with water injection is that I just emailed him about his thoughts on the subject:

Ray Magliozzi (as in "Click & Clack"/"CarTalk") with a smart 450
[/IMG]

Actually, Ray got me back in business some years back when I pulled into the "Good News Garage" in a Peugeot 505S with every dashlight imaginable burning brightly (this during the era when they were making great light of Peugeots on-air). Yes, there is most certainly is a GNG, in Cambridge, MA. Good work at a good price (for him), and cash only. We didn't even have to pop the hood for him to determine the problem. When I did pop it, there was the broken serpentine belt laying across the top of the engine! He didn't say a word; just held it out at arm's length around the side of the hood for me to see.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts