Smart Car of America Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
good Afternoon, I own a 2013 Passion, Went to the wash today, and saw something not quite optimal, After washing there were water drops down the back window, I have a picture here it looks like its coming through right where the Windshield wiper blade is.

Edit: Did a bit of searching around on the site, saw that this happens here and there. but I didn't see anyone with an issue on a 2013, Whats the general process to get this fixed? I assume its under warrenty but is it something I'm going to need to leave the car at the dealer for or even more extended time?

Edit2, My service center closed at 18:00 CST so I wasn't able to call but I texted my Salesman and he informed me to call tomorrow and there should not be any problem getting that fixed under warranty.

·
Registered
271 Posts
Most all cars leak when being washed with high pressure water. If you ever get a convertible smart don't aim the hose directly at the back of your car between the top of the tailgate and bottom of the convertible top (ask me how I found that out). I would wait till you get a good rain under "normal" circumstances and see if she still leaks! Mine will leak in a carwash but have never seen a drop in hard rain. :)

p.s. Mine is also a 13!

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Most all cars leak when being washed with high pressure water. If you ever get a convertible smart don't aim the hose directly at the back of your car between the top of the tailgate and bottom of the convertible top (ask me how I found that out). I would wait till you get a good rain under "normal" circumstances and see if she still leaks! Mine will leak in a carwash but have never seen a drop in hard rain. :)

p.s. Mine is also a 13!
Oh alright, cool beans, I'm running a delivery pretty mucha block down from my smart center anyway so maybe I'll stop in anyway but if its something extravagant I'll live with it since its only during washes,

·
Super Moderator
11,208 Posts
Stop in and have it checked out. it could be an easy fix and most dealers are pretty good at finding leaks. Might be a simple adjustment

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Stop in and have it checked out. it could be an easy fix and most dealers are pretty good at finding leaks. Might be a simple adjustment
Yeah I was gonna stop in today, but saturdays are appointment only and they were all booked, So gonna go wed.

·
17,344 Posts
I'm not sure which dealer you plan on going to, but I would advise you to NOT waste any time going to smart centre Lincolnwood.

They have an excellent sales staff, but their service department hates the word "warranty" and WILL tell you that they "cannot replicate the problem". And then when you tell them they're wrong, they'll try their best to make sure they won't see your car again until you're out of warranty.

Try Orland Park or St. Charles. It'll be worth the drive, IMO.

p.s. Mine is also a 13!
I don't know about that. I've never been in a car built after 1995 that leaked during a car wash.

I can't speak for the cabriolet smart, but a leaking smart coupe is not normal, not even under washing conditions. My car never leaks, and it's been to just about every high pressure wash around the block.

There was a leak issue with the 2008s that caused water to spill into the interior, smart fixed it by drilling drain holes into the hatch's plastic. If yours leaks like the OP's, I'd probably get that checked out too...

In fact, when I first got my car, I had a monthly pass to a popular car wash down the road. That wash beat on my car almost twice weekly for four months until one of its brushes ripped off a side skirt. But leaks? Nada.

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I'm not sure which dealer you plan on going to, but I would advise you to NOT waste any time going to smart centre Lincolnwood.

They have an excellent sales staff, but their service department hates the word "warranty" and WILL tell you that they "cannot replicate the problem". And then when you tell them they're wrong, they'll try their best to make sure they won't see your car again until you're out of warranty.

I don't know about that. I've never been in a car built after 1995 that leaked during a car wash.

I can't speak for the cabriolet smart, but a leaking smart coupe is not normal, not even under washing conditions. My car never leaks, and it's been to just about every high pressure wash around the block.

There was a leak issue with the 2008s that caused water to spill into the interior, smart fixed it by drilling drain holes into the hatch's plastic. If yours leaks like the OP's, I'd probably get that checked out too...

In fact, when I first got my car, I had a monthly pass to a popular car wash down the road. That wash beat on my car almost twice weekly for four months until one of its brushes ripped off a side skirt. But leaks? Nada.
Yeah I'm going to Orland Park, They even have a Loaner already setup JIC, The main reason i went to Orland rather than ST charles (st charles is Closer) is that my friend got his smart at orland and had nothing but great things to say about the service center.

·
Registered
271 Posts

Your are perfectly rite Neonspinnazz I am sorry I offended you. 0:) 1500psi at a self service car wash will make cars leak. Take yours to one and drop in two bucks. Put the selector on the high pressure setting and blast it around all your door seals, window seals what ever. Most people get way to close to the car with that water pressure so make sure to keep the nozzle no more that a foot away from the vehicle while trying this. Report Back! You may want to bring a towel :) If you look at the picture shows it is a self service wash not an auto wash which you speak of. I have never had a car leak in one of the auto run through washes because they are designed to move the water and air in the direction the car is designed to keep the water out. On a side note there are also no HIGH pressure nozzles in an auto car wash but just a light rinse of water then high pressure drying. I also avoid touch-less washes as they are the devil. :wink:

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Brought to Smart center, Luckily enough it was lightly raining today and it still leaked leading to it not being caused by High pressure washer. Gave me a banging c300 for a loaner so thats pretty cool. but we'll see what they say for the repair.

·
17,344 Posts
Brought to Smart center, Luckily enough it was lightly raining today and it still leaked leading to it not being caused by High pressure washer. Gave me a banging c300 for a loaner so thats pretty cool. but we'll see what they say for the repair.
That alone would be worth the drive to Orland to me! Hope it gets repaired! :)

Your are perfectly rite Neonspinnazz I am sorry I offended you. 0:) 1500psi at a self service car wash will make cars leak. Take yours to one and drop in two bucks. Put the selector on the high pressure setting and blast it around all your door seals, window seals what ever. Most people get way to close to the car with that water pressure so make sure to keep the nozzle no more that a foot away from the vehicle while trying this. Report Back! You may want to bring a towel :) If you look at the picture shows it is a self service wash not an auto wash which you speak of. I have never had a car leak in one of the auto run through washes because they are designed to move the water and air in the direction the car is designed to keep the water out. On a side note there are also no HIGH pressure nozzles in an auto car wash but just a light rinse of water then high pressure drying. I also avoid touch-less washes as they are the devil. :wink:
I...I think you misunderstood me? :confused:
As always, I'm always up for a friendly SCoA debate. You never offended to begin with! :D

I was talking about self service bays too. I visit one once a month for a more "intimate" cleaning of my car.

I'll admit, when I first got my car, it did sometimes leak through the window seals. I later found out that my door latches were adjusted in a way that didn't allow my doors to seal properly. That little "burping" thing 2008 owners often talked about? Never had it.

Easy test: Open your windows then close your doors. Push on the door handles, do the doors move in and out, even though it's latched? If so, it's out of adjustment! :eek: When I was at the Red Wing Rally, I tested this idea with the new car smart centre Madison brought along and as well as jimvw57's car...and sure enough, my doors were WAAAAY out of adjustment.

It's an easy fix that requires nothing more than a Phillips to the door latch on the Tridion Cell.

That's what was wrong with my car, and tightening my doors stopped all leaking. Now, the most I get is condensation and maybe water droplets.

Now, for giggles, I went did my self service bay thing early this month. I intentionally pointed the sprayer at point blank range (3 or so inches) at the hatch and doors and sure enough, a small stream leaked through.

So yeah, you're right, shooting a high pressure washer at the windows CAN make it leak! :)

But like I said, under normal washing conditions, you shouldn't have any leaks. :)

·
Registered
271 Posts
lol I found out about the high pressure deal the hard way and had a case of wet a** on the drive home and for a few days after. That was not on my current smart but a different car several years ago. I do know that both my 09 coupe and my current 13 cabrio will leak around the back hatch if not careful with the hose. Hopefully they get llamoureaux8890's car patched up in a few weeks. I say few weeks because when our car was in for transmission issues we to had a nice C300 for about a week :) VERY NICE. In all honestly tho, we were glad to get our smart back as the C300 is very thirsty and likes the 93 octane. Thanks for the tip on the doors as well!

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
lol I found out about the high pressure deal the hard way and had a case of wet a** on the drive home and for a few days after. That was not on my current smart but a different car several years ago. I do know that both my 09 coupe and my current 13 cabrio will leak around the back hatch if not careful with the hose. Hopefully they get llamoureaux8890's car patched up in a few weeks. I say few weeks because when our car was in for transmission issues we to had a nice C300 for about a week :) VERY NICE. In all honestly tho, we were glad to get our smart back as the C300 is very thirsty and likes the 93 octane. Thanks for the tip on the doors as well!
Yeah thats the one thing Ive noticed already is it has a bit of a drinking problem, Time wise who knows they said could be a readjustment a re-seal or a whole new hatch so each one can be from 48 hrs to a week plus for parts haha.

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Problem resolved Quickly, They "Ordered Rear window/r&R Rear glass assembly, swapped rear wiper arm, rear wiper motor, third brake lamp assembly and housing onto new glass, Installed rear window assembly, alligned rear window." I'm sure with spring around its bound to rain any day so we'll see how airtight the ship is now.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts