Smart Car of America Forum banner
1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
834 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Yesterday I ran an errand. When I got to my destination all was OK. When I was ready to leave I found the right rear was flat. I was about a quarter of a mile from a tire shop so thought I would see if I could inflate the tire to a point I could drive to the shop without ruining the tire.

I pulled the carpet back to get the pump and noticed there was a lot of water on the floor pan. The foam on the bottom of the carpet was soaked but the carpet was dry to the touch. Thought I would check the driver's side and it was the same.

We have had a couple of big rain storms in the last week but did not drive through standing or deep water.

Any one else have this leak problem?

·
Ex Admin/mod.
9,491 Posts
Depends on where the drain, if misplaced, does drop condensation. If it's just at the side of the battery "box", at the base of the gearshift housing, it may seep across.
Anyway, that was just an idea. And it doesn't hurt to check it out... :)
Keep us posted of your findings.

·
Registered
834 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
JPaul, Thanks, there was slightly less water on the drivers side, and guess what? They replaced the battery on May 7th when I had the 10K mile service and the upgrade done. Since that time I have been using the AC but now that I think about it I don't remember seeing a great deal of condensate on the garage floor like last spring and summer.

·
Registered
1,709 Posts
The drain tube has parts that are pretty flimsy. Mine came from the factory with a small crack in the elbow that connects to the out port. All I had to do was squeeze it once and it started leaking into the battery box; upon more inspection it looked like a seam in the elbow didn't bond properly. Dealer replaced it for me in March, but electrical tape kept it sealed for about 8 months before that.

·
Registered
141 Posts
I was talking with a smart service manager a few weeks ago and he told me of a couple of cases he had with a/c drain problems. The floor would fill with enough water and short out some control module(trans I think) if my memory serves me still.

·
Registered
3,080 Posts

The small clear tube is the gas vent for the battery the black tube is the AC condensate drain it is very easy to pull off at both ends and will dump a lot of water into the passengers foot well.
There have been a number of threads on the topic.
good luck
karl

·
Banned
4,883 Posts
Ironically... I disconnected the battery last night to reset the computer in the car.... and there was condensation under my carpet.... I checked both the AC drain and the battery depression... both were intact and dry... the condensation was just to the rear of the battery depression.

·
Registered
3,080 Posts
A window left open? Check the roof for leaks have someone with a garden hose run water on the seams while you look for leaks inside. look at the door seal, they can get pulled out of place and leak...
good luck with the hunt. Whatever you do you need to get that fixed.
karl

·
Registered
9,254 Posts
Hey Don, were you park outside, last week during the flash flood rain we had on Tuesday. A lot of water.
We just got back walking the dog at Heritage Park. Took the little car. Ran the air on full coming back. 10 miles. There was a pool of condensation on my driveway. I wonder if your AC drain is plugged. I had a Jeep that had a plugged drain. Did the same thing you have in your Smart. Wet carpet. Are you going to see Clint Monday???????

·
Registered
834 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
smark, Clinton has the car. I will most likely talk to him Monday. If I had to guess, I would think they might have accidentally done something to the AC evaporator drain when they put the new battery in. I had both vents plug up in my 15 BMW and there was a lot of water in the carpet. As it is the carpet is dry. We will see.

·
Registered
80 Posts
Water leak

Check the lt front of your roof. Open your shade and push up on your roof or slam your door and watch the corner of your roof. I saw water dripping from my passenger side and started to look. My roof lt ft corner 12 over to center and lt ft 18 inches going to the back is unglued. I was told that it is a clear coat curing problem. My roof is national back order. It may be in next week

·
Registered
3,080 Posts
Karl, There is no evidence of water coming from a window or the roof as there are no stains and nothing is wet except under the carpet.
Water can be a real pain to track down. My bet would be it is coming from above and not getting splashed up from a puddle.
Carpets can dry with the padding underneath still holds gallons, it is one of the joys of an open car.
The number one killer of our cars is rot. keep an open mind and keep looking. What does your dealer tell you?
karl

·
Registered
834 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
I just picked the car up from the dealer. They could not find a leak. They checked the AC evaporator drains and they were fine. We had a large rainstorm this AM and they took it for a drive and also used high pressure water from the wash rack to no avail.

Needless to say they indicated that if it happens again to bring it in and they will try again. I will be checking frequently and making note of the exact conditions in future storms. Hopefully if I have more detail as to when and what the environment was I can help them if they need to look again.

It might have just been the gods as has been my experience many times when I was flying for a living. So we will see.

·
Registered
9,254 Posts
Don, did you drive the car last week in that heavy down pour we had?????? It flooded Westport. Maybe water is coming in from the wheel wells some place. Todays rain was heavy too!!!! Show me Sat, if you go to the party, where it was wet.

I just looked at my car. I been driving in those down pours every morning on 35. Its dry. There are spot welded seems under the carpet. I wonder if water is coming though those seems in the metal wheel wells and floor pan.

·
Registered
834 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
smark, both foot well floors (the flat part) had a good bit of water. There is still some moisture there as I think they would have had to remove the seats and carpet to really get it all dry. I will watch it closely as it should dry out with the AC on. If not it will have to go back in and have the carpet removed and dried.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.