Smart Car of America Forum banner
1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So i have been searching the community here, and have yet to find someone who has performed a water pump replacement without actually dropping the engine. Would any one here have any tips/ suggestions before I begin this project? Should I record my steps and put together a youtube "how to" for future owners who plan to do the work themselves?

·
Registered
1,932 Posts
So i have been searching the community here, and have yet to find someone who has performed a water pump replacement without actually dropping the engine. Would any one here have any tips/ suggestions before I begin this project? Should I record my steps and put together a youtube "how to" for future owners who plan to do the work themselves?
You may need a set of engine lowering bolts to make the job easier. Fortunately they may be for sale in June.
Below is a Current link
Parallel Font Cylinder

Good luck

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
…why make it hard on you?….
…if it calls for dropping the engine there’s a reason…less bleeding and less four letter words…

jetfuel…yes on the video..
I am new to the smart car world. I recently replaced all three motor mounts, the entire blower box assembly, and now getting ready for the water pump.

From looking at it, I should be able to reach it all without having to drop the engine. (i have never dropped the motor in a smart car).

Video will be coming along with it and progress pictures here.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
You may need a set of engine lowering bolts to make the job easier. Fortunately they may be for sale in June.
Below is a Current link
View attachment 70197
Good luck

I do like the idea of this, June wont work for me as i am beginning this project on Tuesday!!

·
Registered
9,145 Posts

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Great job! Looking forward to seeing the results when you get the new pump. Thanks for posting pictures!
Thank you,

I have been writing down what tools I use and doing my best to take pictures along the way. I plan on doing a full recap in the next day or two. Waiting on the replacement pump to show up.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Figured I would post an update, water pump showed up. So I figured. Let’s tackle it while the sun is out. Bolts are coming off nice. Some rust on them. But wasn’t too worried. Then the biggest upset. Broke the heads off the last two bolts

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 · (Edited)
All steps below were done without dropping the engine down, excluding where i had a bolt break and took the passenger side mount off the block to drop it a little to get my welder in there.

1. Remove belly pan bolts 10mm - one on each side of the car - this gives accesss to the lower radiator hose
2. loosen radiator lower clamp and pull hose off - becareful as the radiator end is aluminum and easy to bend
3. jack rear of car up and use jack stands
4. use a flat blade to loosen the belt/ pulley cover locks (these are on frame behind the tire, i did not take the tire off to gain access)
5. remove pulley cover
6. take passenger tire off
7. take an e14 socket to the belt tension pulley with a LONG extension and remove it,
8. remove belt fully once tensioner is off the motor
9. take a 10mm wrench and a screw driver (stick screw driver in a pulley hole to stop the pulley from spinning) then loosen and remove all 4 pulley bolts.... use same method to tighten the bolts
10. i used a long pry bar to pop the pulley off
11. take a 10mm deep socket on a 1/4" drive ratchet and remove the water pump bolts
12. there is one 13mm socket that will be used on one bolt.
13. pay attention to where each bolt goes as some are longer than others.
14. remove water pump
15. clean surface with a razor blade till it feels "smooth" with your finger
16. use brake cleaner and a rag to clean up the surface of fine dirts
17. install new water pump (it uses an o-ring style gasket so no silicone or other gasket sealer is needed)
18. tighten all bolts (be sure careful not to strip any)
19. begin assembly of everything you removed
20. bleed the coolant system and enjoy

Hood Motor vehicle Automotive lighting Automotive tire Automotive exterior

Automotive tire Vehicle brake Gear Motor vehicle Bicycle part

Automotive tire Hood Synthetic rubber Motor vehicle Grille

Automotive tire Tread Motor vehicle Automotive wheel system Rim

Hand Automotive tire Wood Finger Bicycle part

Automotive tire Font Auto part Machine Fashion accessory

Hand Gesture Wood Finger Automotive tire

Automotive tire Motor vehicle Wood Vehicle brake Automotive wheel system

Automotive tire Motor vehicle Tread Automotive wheel system Fender

Hand Automotive tire Gesture Finger Bumper