Smart Car of America Forum banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Anyone else have this problem?
I was poking around yesterday, and lifted the carpet on the passenger side to see the tow hook ring that is stored there, and there was water under the passenger side carpet.

I was able to do this without removing any fasteners, so it's an easy check. Plus it's a quick way to get the tow ring out when on the roadside.

It wasn't a tremendous amount, but it did take a towel to remove it. Once I got the water off of the floor, the high density foam pad that is under the carpet was still wet. This material seems to have an affinity for the water as it wouldn't really give up the water.

The water was limited to just the flat/level part of the floor. There was no water in the battery well. The Battery outgassing line was hooked up properly. The drivers side was not wet. The car only has 350 miles. We have had high humidity and torrential rains, which I drove through for around 100 miles. I am fairly certain that the water didn't come in from the passengers shoes. The door seals looked fine.

So I left the carpet proped up overnight to let it all dry out.

I hope this was in there when the car was built, and then condensed out, and will never come back(click heels three times)

I guess I'll have to keep an eye on this.

Anyone else?

·
Registered
1,104 Posts
water on the passenger floor is a common indicator of a plugged drain hose on the A/C system. the drain pan overfills into the vents.

·
Registered
1,860 Posts
This may be a bit of a reach...BUT... I think you MUST trace this one down and soon

There have been plenty of examples from across the pond of smart cars not being prepped properly to install the poly top or windshield...result water leak...worst case water ingress to the SAM unit.... SAM is exceptionally expensive item and has a LONG lead time to get and program a new one to the car

Your passenger foot well water does not sound like it is coming from an area that would get all the way over to the SAM

By not being prepped right I mean: The windshield and poly top adhesive will not stick to the raw powder coating on the metal Trition...so there is a step to paint on a primer to form the bond from the glass / poly roof, adhesive to the tridion. Most of the cars in Europe that had leaking windshields were discovered to NOT have the primer layer applied.

·
smart happens here!
1,830 Posts
Definitely something to watch. AC line should not have been clogged yet, although I guess it could be crimped right out of the factory. Easiest way is to check for proper water drainage under your car when you run your AC and park somewhere....usually it doesn't take long to spot the "piddle". :p

You didn't mention what model you had...pure, passion or cabrio?

·
Registered
3,039 Posts
AC drain hose

The AC condensate drains thru the passenger footwell that would be my first look. The tube is light and very easy to pinch, kink or pull apart the conections

This photo shows the drain tube. Battery vent clear tube/ AC drain Black Rubber tube that can be taken apart by hand. The forward end of the hose fits onto a nipple on the bottom of the "heater "box.
karl

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Well, one month later and no more water.
Thanks to everyone who responded.

There was no problem with the AC drain line, so I'm going to go with my original guess that the water was there when the car was built.
It's worth while for everyone to check under the carpet one just to make sure there are no issues with either the AC line, or water from another source.
It's a Passion.

·
Registered
3 Posts
It was like a swimming pool under the driver and passenger carpets. It has to be either radiator, windshield water of ac condensation, and I have eliminated the first two. Where exactly is this hose and where does it hook to?

·
Registered
65 Posts
Mine was the AC drain wasn't connected right. I assume it was from the factory that way. The entire floor of my car was soaked. Since I connected the drain hose I haven't had an issue.

·
Premium Member
5,763 Posts
Cabrio tail gate wasn't clicked twice on one side.

Torrential rain and a not fully clicked shut tailgate resulted in a flooded carpet. Noticed it a day or two later as a fogged windshield on the inside. Had to take the seats and carpet out to get totally dry. No Leaks, totally my fault.
I think the heat from the engine evaporates the water under the carpet there and then the water condenses on the cool floor pan throughout the car. I caught it before mildew set in.

·
Registered
115 Posts
Im in the UK and i discovered the same wet carpet issue, several trips to smart resulted in a windshield reseal and modified door seal, none of which solved the problem.

with the usual excuses used up by the dealer, i did my own water test,

I hosed the car for a few minutes and then looked to see where the water entering. the water is entering from a seam at the base of the wheel arch

·
Premium Member
5,763 Posts
Im in the UK and i discovered the same wet carpet issue, several trips to smart resulted in a windshield reseal and modified door seal, none of which solved the problem.

with the usual excuses used up by the dealer, i did my own water test,

I hosed the car for a few minutes and then looked to see where the water entering. the water is entering from a seam at the base of the wheel arch

If you don't mind, please describe the location you are showing. I can't get my bearings. Is that looking down from above over the engine cover or is that of a left front passenger firewall? Sorry, I don't see my smart this exposed very often. Thanks. How did you finally solve your leak?

·
Registered
115 Posts
If you don't mind, please describe the location you are showing. I can't get my bearings. Is that looking down from above over the engine cover or is that of a left front passenger firewall? Sorry, I don't see my smart this exposed very often. Thanks. How did you finally solve your leak?
the location is in the passenger footwell, in my case in the UK on the left side, sitting in the seat im looking down at a 45 degree angle in to the well, the black panel is the firewall/bulkhead, the bulge on the left is the wheelarch.

The leak is still there, i've not had time to return it to the dealer, but i really should soon as our wet autumn is coming.

Im my view the remedy would be to have the front wheel removed along with the plastic liner to access the seam and seal it on that side as sealing it where the water is entering the car will just allow a build up of water in the seam.

·
Registered
3,455 Posts
the location is in the passenger footwell, in my case in the UK on the left side, sitting in the seat im looking down at a 45 degree angle in to the well, the black panel is the firewall/bulkhead, the bulge on the left is the wheelarch.

The leak is still there, i've not had time to return it to the dealer, but i really should soon as our wet autumn is coming.

Im my view the remedy would be to have the front wheel removed along with the plastic liner to access the seam and seal it on that side as sealing it where the water is entering the car will just allow a build up of water in the seam.
+1 That would be a proper fix... Make them do it right...

·
Premium Member
5,763 Posts
By all means!

Get thee to a dealer before the rainy season arrives. Good luck, glad you found this and thanks for sharing.
Let us know how things turn out at the dealer.
Rich

·
Registered
1 Posts
My wee car have same water issue

I discover today same issue wich makes me wander how came can get soo much water under passenger's carpet . I am allows very susspesions and checking for oil marks ar any sign of wrongdoing everyday and today got this surprise. Will take it to mechanic tomorrow .
But it coud be some common issues and can be triger by cold weather condition - now is dead cold in Scotland subzero and coud be possible cos of the condense ,
My car is 2003 passion just lovely we car wonderful driving in motorway in 100 k/h every single day .

1 - 20 of 23 Posts