Smart Car of America Forum banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
100 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
OK guru's, how bad is it to replace the waterpump on my 2009 passion. I ran out to picks up some cigs and when I got home it had just started dripping. Did not get hot, only half mile to store from my house. Wondering how much work to replace. :(

·
Registered
275 Posts
I haven't replaced a water pump on a Smart yet -- just the belts. You can take a look at the following video to get a feel for how restricted the access would be to the 8 water pump bolts without "dropping" the engine down using temporary longer engine mount bolts:

The engine in the video doesn't appear to be a US gasoline Smart, maybe a diesel -- but orientation and placement are very similar. You've only got a few inches of space to work in as the water pump faces the rear sub-frame. I'm sure access would be much easier if the engine were lowered using temporary longer engine mount bolts.

Hope this helps...

·
Registered
100 Posts
Discussion Starter #6

1 Coolant pump
2 Belt pulley
3 Poly-V belt tensioning device
4 Timing case cover
5 Bolt
6 Ground cable
7 Bolt
8 Bolts

:)

Thanks, I'm hoping I can do this without lowering or removal of eng. Looks like alittle more room when the tensioner is removed too. On a side note I used to live in Columbus Oh. for about 8 years before I moved to Florida.:D

·
Registered
100 Posts
Discussion Starter #10

1 Coolant pump
2 Belt pulley
3 Poly-V belt tensioning device
4 Timing case cover
5 Bolt
6 Ground cable
7 Bolt
8 Bolts

:)
Jwight, does the book you've got say anything about lowering the engine or such. Just wondering if I remove the tensioner and pulleys if that will give me enough room for removal.

·
Premium Member
5,764 Posts
Are you sure this is coolant from the water pump or possibly normal condensation from the A.C. dripping off the rear of the belly pan?
The condensation drips under the middle of the passenger compartment closer to the front of the engine than under the battery well where the condensate drain goes through the floor.
That would be nice if that is the case, which would mean nothing is wrong. If you are seeing coolant the color of what is in the coolant bottle, that IS an urgent issue of course.

·
Registered
100 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Are you sure this is coolant from the water pump or possibly normal condensation from the A.C. dripping off the rear of the belly pan?
The condensation drips under the middle of the passenger compartment closer to the front of the engine than under the battery well where the condensate drain goes through the floor.
That would be nice if that is the case, which would mean nothing is wrong. If you are seeing coolant the color of what is in the coolant bottle, that IS an urgent issue of course.
Nope, sorry to say it is coolant. Nobody has a pump, dealer can have it in a couple days. Really only bad thing about this is about a year ago I had a motorcycle wreck, hit a deer. Messed up my left hand and arm, hand is mostly useless. Will be doing this mostly with my right hand. Up until my wreck I was a bike mechanic for many years. Guess i'll find out how hard this really is. Tried to find repair manuel on line to download, no luck, would just like to know if after removal of pump pully and tensioner if I will have enough room to slide pump out. I am going to find out just how much I really like this car !!

·
Registered
100 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Nope. Sorry to say it is coolant. No one has a pump. Dealer can get it in a couple days. I have checked it out real close and I can see it running right off bottom of pump down between oil filter and oil drain plug. Guess I'll call dealer tomorrow with vin number and order pump. Wish I had smaller hands. Really bad part is I had a motorcycle wreck a year ago, hit a deer and really messed up my left hand and arm. So I will be trucking to do this mainly with my right hand. Was a bike mechanic for many years before accident. Trials and tribulations.😔

·
Premium Member
5,764 Posts
Alldata diy is about as good as it gets, and I find it difficult to read and reference.

Most commonly done to access that end of the engine is wheel well liner removal which is pretty simple and straight forward. Good luck with it and let us know what you learn.
Sorry to hear about your hand. We take them for granted until they don't work the way they always used to. Then it is a battle to overcome our own wits to succeed with the remaining good one.

·
Super Moderator
28,240 Posts
The info in post #5 is from Alldatadiy.com; that's all you get for replacing the water pump. It didn't mention lowering the engine but it will sure make things easier. :)

·
Registered
100 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
The info in post #5 is from Alldatadiy.com; that's all you get for replacing the water pump. It didn't mention lowering the engine but it will sure make things easier. :)
Yep, your so right. Well I found a new OEM pump on ebay and it is right here in Florida. $180.00 with free shipping. I will keep ya all informed in the replacement process. Thanks everyone again.:D

1 - 20 of 20 Posts