Smart Car of America Forum banner

1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
1,104 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
It's already that time. I figured I'd get a leg up on the planning this year. I want to see plenty of Smarts at Watkins Glen in 2013!!! :D

The 2013 Finger Lakes Wine Festival at Watkins Glen will be Friday July 12th - Sunday July 14th. Track time will be Saturday or Sunday morning. We will put it to vote with a poll here on SCoA.

I was hoping to gather up the troops with a huge head start, and get a much bigger group than what we had this past Summer. :) There's an elite group that can say they were at the inaugural event - and I think everyone had a lot of fun!

I believe it was Dave that printed out big #17s for his Smart; that was a great idea. I found good-sized Nascar number window clings (that hold surprisingly well to plastic panels) in the Auto section of a local Walmart. Needless to say, I'm going to have a big red #88 on my doors. :p

Event page on Smart USA Insider
Event page on 451s.com.

Best part is, we have photographic evidence to entice new visitors! :cool: So. Who else is in!? :smartje.bl.zl:

·
Registered
1,104 Posts
Discussion Starter #3 (Edited)
Wold like to be there but this conflicts with the Nationals in Denver so that's where I'll be. :)
CRAP! Stupid conflicts.

Totally understood. I made a note about just that on The Insider and 451s. I suppose it's only fitting to be fair to what is one of the largest gathering of Smarts each year.

·
Registered
169 Posts
Being from ROC and loving wine, I'll be there. :D

I believe smart is the answer to life, the universe and everything. So, I think I might put on 42.

·
Registered
1,104 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
drinking wine or waving flags ... hmmm, which one ...
Keep in mind this is a Drive-then-Wine event. :wink: No Smart-tipping.

:)I will be there.:D
1! :D

I'll be there on July 22nd....too late. :(
Not a problem; we expect you and your race car next year!

Being from ROC and loving wine, I'll be there. :D

I believe smart is the answer to life, the universe and everything. So, I think I might put on 42.
2! :D :D

-----

With such a huge head start, I'd love to grow this one well beyond last year's. I realize with the Denver Nationals conflict that this won't be huge, but the more the merrier! I think I have a tighter grasp on how to plan things out too. Unlike last year where I was planning at 5AM the day of.
:whistle:

For those that attended, would you want to make any changes to the way it was last year?

(One thing I'm going to change is get in writing the price-per-person quote. The only quirk in the day was that they claimed because we didn't buy tickets in advance, we didn't get cut a break on price. Even though Mike specifically said don't worry about getting them early. :mad: So it became $35 per person I believe instead of $25 - of course, this was after we had all arrived and were ready to go in. A couple from Canada took their free laps and had to head off to meet family - take that, 'Glen! Mike is no longer working there; he's at another track. Apparently our Smart Rally was the last thing he did - we also didn't make the Wine Festival site probably because of that.)

·
Registered
206 Posts
I plan on being there! Not old enough to drink, and I'm not much of a wine person, but taking it around the track a few times will be fun!

·
Registered
1,070 Posts
I know exactly where this is, being so far away. 14 hour drive to be exact. Didn't go in the smart, although I did have it when I went a few years back. I have family right in the area. Right between Tyrone and Dundee. So if I decide to come, I don't have hotels to worry about! I however doubt I could make it. :(
On the plus note, I remember a shop at the glen with some tasty ice cream...

·
Registered
206 Posts
So, what's the current tally? Also, have we been working with anyone at the track yet to coordinate this event, or is that already established?

·
Registered
1,104 Posts
Discussion Starter #15 (Edited)
Yup, I've been in consistently in contact with Watkins Glen from well before the first event. So far it just looks like a dozen, but I'm excited that it's come this far only being January. :)

I want to get in touch with John at my Latham Smart Center (just outside Albany) - he said he would love to join or at the very least send someone on Latham's behalf. He definitely said he would utilize their customer database and send out a newsletter that included details about the event.

-----

I wanted to add this from another post so everyone sees it.

Savard's to Budget Inn
Savard's to Harbor Hotel
Savard's to Walmart

The Budget Inn and Harbor Hotel were two names that I heard a lot last year, and both are just a few blocks away from Savard's Family Restaurant.

The Walmart is just across a few blocks through town. We all met in the Walmart parking lot because I figured it it would be the biggest, easiest place to find a group of Smarts. Plus, it allowed us to gather without disturbing some little business that actually needs their parking lot at 9:00am. :p

* While getting directions from Watkins Glen (the place) to Watkins Glen (the track), I thought up a good ~40 minute drive. It takes some back roads East on 79, then North out to Alpine (right near Backbone Horse Camp and Blueberry Patch Campgrounds). We then head West back towards the lake, until we get on NY-414S for a trip back alongside the water.

I have both the directions to the track and the scenic drive in my saved places on Google Maps.

·
Registered
343 Posts
Hey Skippy- any updates? Who do we give our money to for the event itself, how and when? I got approved for the time off work, and will be booking the campsite as soon as I know this is a 100% go. Thanks for getting this together!

·
Registered
1,104 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Hey Skippy- any updates? Who do we give our money to for the event itself, how and when? I got approved for the time off work, and will be booking the campsite as soon as I know this is a 100% go. Thanks for getting this together!
Well, last year we I struck an over-the-phone deal for early-order tickets. I think they were $10 or $15 per person if I bought them early. A different Mike than who's there now (the Mike I talked to took a better job at another track) told me to not worry about ordering them early as I couldn't guarantee an exact number of people.

When we got there, they ended up just giving us the laps for totally 100% free. A Canadian couple had to take off early and literally didn't pay for anything. (Score!! :p) When it came time to enter the festival and pay for whatever tickets we wanted, he revoked his prior statement and said because we didn't get them early, they would be full price. :mad: Everyone seemed fine with it anyway; the highest ticket was $40 for 3-day admission. I'm not making that same mistake again! I'm getting everything in writing.

As for food and lodging, that's all on everyone individually. As for the Rally itself, the laps last year were free, and everyone individually paid admission on their own. I won't be collecting anything as of this moment, and hope to keep it that way. Too much hassle and responsibility stockpiling peoples' money. I'd hate for something silly to happen, and have to ask for more or give refunds.

Very welcome for the organization. It's my small gesture of thanks to the fabulous people on these forums who seem to answer every question I've ever had about a Smart. If I can't actually repay everyone, I can at least give the gift of a Smart convention at a festival centered around booze!
:hat:

·
Registered
18 Posts
We'll be there too

Bonna and I will be there again this year. :D
(she gets to drive this time) :burnout:

Skippy ----

do we know if track time is Saturday or Sunday yet? :confused:

dave.

1 - 20 of 25 Posts