Smart Car of America Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
74 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hay Ya'll,
Any more smart buyers on here living in 'Bama?

Also, does anybody know of any dealers opening closer to the water than Crown Automobile in Birmingham?

I mean, come on! There are more car lots in Mobile, Baldwin Co. &
P'cola, FL per Sq. Mile than anywhere in the Southeast.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Bama

Hey Man,
I am not familiar with any other Smart Dealers in AL, but I feel certain that we will see two or three more announced in the coming months. In the mean time when mine arrives I'll head for the beach and stop in to see ya.
David

·
Registered
2 Posts
hey man, my name is patch, and i am moving to alamaba to be with my wife-to-be.
i dont want you to think i am stupid or something but i was told that you couldent get the smart car in the usa, because its far too small, is that right? as i am moving from the uk, i was plainning to take my fiat seicento and my smart car, to the usa, but since the engine in my fiat seicento is only a 899cc they woulent let me drive it on the road. could anyone advise me?

·
Lifetime Member
11,307 Posts
It's not the size of the engine but the safety (glass etc.) and the emissions on the car that make it non US legal as well as some other things.

·
Registered
161 Posts
All visiters must declare their allegiance to Alabama or Auburn football

i dont want you to think i am stupid or something but i was told that you couldent get the smart car in the usa, because its far too small, is that right? as i am moving from the uk, i was plainning to take my fiat seicento and my smart car, to the usa, but since the engine in my fiat seicento is only a 899cc they woulent let me drive it on the road. could anyone advise me?
Welcome to Alabama Patch. We are glad that you and your bride to be will be calling our state home.

You will be stopped at your point of entry to the state and asked to declare "Who ya for?". What they will be asking for is for you to declare your allegiance to either The University of Alabama "Crimson Tide" football team or The Auburn University "Tigers" football team. YOU HAVE TO CHOOSE ONE. And it will be American football, not soccer.

Mike

·
Super Moderator
28,243 Posts
I would leave the Fiat at home; unless you plan on taking it out of the country later the hassle of getting it in and meeting US specs, not to mention zero maintenance support for the car, would be overwhelming. Same with the smart. Much better, IMHO, to sell the them both and bring the pounds over here and take advantage of the exchange rate. Long wait for the US version of the smart but a well equipped Toyota Yaris or Honda Fit will set you back around eight thousand pounds. :)

·
Registered
3,020 Posts
drove a couple of cars in England with left hand drive and the view from the curbside is not what you usually want. Do you plan this as a permanent move or for a specific time frame visitors have different rules but must reexport the car or have it crushed, Yikes.
There is all sorts of exotic "stuff" here I would sell what you have and pick things up here. Enjoy your new home...
karl

·
Registered
6 Posts
1 more of us

Hay Ya'll,
Any more smart buyers on here living in 'Bama?

Also, does anybody know of any dealers opening closer to the water than Crown Automobile in Birmingham?

I mean, come on! There are more car lots in Mobile, Baldwin Co. &
P'cola, FL per Sq. Mile than anywhere in the Southeast.
I haven't seen many smarts down here, but I'll be 1 more this saturday! Look for me..Black with silver and tag says So Smart! KIT. D.

·
Registered
1,709 Posts
Welcome, Kit! Fellow Mobilians. I haven't seen another smart on the Mobile roads... had to drive all the way to Pensacola to see a group. I drive a black/black passion, common route is on Cottage Hill between Montlimar and Knollwood.

·
Registered
6 Posts
I can't wait!!

I have seen a blue one with foosackleys sticker across the front, and some of my family have seen you I guess, they said..its a black one..I'll be black with silver tridion. Their out cottage hill/schillenger..so that'd be you. I've been driving my del sol, for the last 12 years! I think smart will fit right into my family. It's like christmas in July! :smartje.zw.zw:

·
Lifetime Member
11,307 Posts
You guys are gonna have the same problem I have in the Ft.Walton area. There is a red w/black trid one running around and it always gets mistaken for mine even though I have a silver trid.

One more reason to paint mine a unique color - no one will mistake me for anyone else thought that could be a bad thing too.....either way, the paint chip samples came in yesterday and the color has been decided. :)

·
Registered
1,709 Posts
You guys are gonna have the same problem I have in the Ft.Walton area. There is a red w/black trid one running around and it always gets mistaken for mine even though I have a silver trid.

One more reason to paint mine a unique color - no one will mistake me for anyone else thought that could be a bad thing too.....either way, the paint chip samples came in yesterday and the color has been decided. :)

You still going with the color you showed me last month? I still think you're nuts, btw. You'll be the only one around to drive a car that color.

·
Lifetime Member
11,307 Posts
You still going with the color you showed me last month? I still think you're nuts, btw. You'll be the only one around to drive a car that color.
VERY close to that color. A little more green without as much yellow - still LIME metallic! Once I sell my Mercedes I'm ordering the paint. Should be only one in this general area to have one. BTW - we should be having a get together soon with MANY more Smarties (estimated 12+). This one will be around Navarre/Ft.Walton so it's a bit more of a drive for the Mobilians but we have people driving all the way from Tallahassee too. I won't have my yellow at the next meeting as it won't be in yet.

·
Registered
14 Posts
smartcenter Jackson update:

I ventured up I-55 tonight to investigate to see if the smartcenter is open yet since the website is up. The smartcenter in Jackson, MS is indeed now open! They have 17 smarts on the lot. Of course, all are already sold. It turns out that the smartcenter is not actually on the same lot as Higginbotham Mercedes. It is 2 buildings down like you're going south on I-55. The Captain D's is on the left of the smart place, and North Jackson Chrysler Jeep is on the right, and then Higginbotham Mercedes is next to the Chrysler Jeep place. It's in a tiny building that used to be Enterprise rental. They are building a new building in the back of the temporary building. At any rate, all the maintenance and parts will be at the Higginbotham location for now until they can get the new building built.

Thought you guys might like to know! It opened Thursday.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts