Smart Car of America Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
182 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have aftermarket wheels that have a flat surface where the center cap decals go. I purchased some decals made of stamped aluminum or some metal that have a dome shape (this was not documented on ebay).

The decals look nice, but I don't know if its possible to mount the domed decal on a flat surface. The decal is 60mm and fits perfectly in the center cap. Just curious if anyone has ever come across this issue and found a solution or not.

Thank you

·
DrKillerBee
1,493 Posts
Smart Madness and Uptown Dob have decals of discs that go there...try them or call them to see how well they work. Otherwise try what you have and report back to us with your findings.

·
Registered
511 Posts
I've got the uptown dog smart emblem end caps. They are domed but they have been on my first smart for 6 mos and stay on. Trick may be to get a solid seal
all around. The center may not matter. Whatever they use for adhesive it is strong!

·
Registered
182 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Can you fill the domed caps with some epoxy?
When dry, they would have a flat surface.
I was thinking something like silicone adhesive. Its rubberyness should keep the adhesive from cracking like super glue or something like that.

·
Registered
8,971 Posts
...too freaking easy...here you go..
...on a flat surface lay down a plastic bag...zip-lock...trash...grocery...whatever..in a single layer and tape down about 6" square...make a handle for the cap with masking tape...it should look like this "Y"...stick it to the top of the cap (it makes it easy to handle and lift)...fill cap with RTV to the rim and them some (white RTV is non corrosive)...spray the plastic and cap with soapy water... lay cap on plastic and press to squeeze excess RTV...the soap will keep the RTV from sticking to the plastic...lift cap and let it dry...remove excess RTV from edge...repeat 3 more times...

Jetfuel..BTDTFT...

1 - 10 of 10 Posts