Smart Car of America Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
4,295 Posts
Yeah, and you notice that in the beginning of the article, it says carinsurance.com picked the cars and then had 1500 people rank them. They weren't allowed to choose the cars themselves, and 1500 people? Really? since when does that create any kind of significant representation of the general public?

I also find it really humorous how the general public pans the smart, yet the vast majority of folks who actually own and drive one love them.

·
Registered
218 Posts
Yeah, I've been in the car business my whole career, I just don't understand the dislike.

Honestly, how can you even LOOK at the car and not smile. It begs to be liked.

·
DrKillerBee
1,493 Posts
It's different...what's easier to hate than something different? If you want to diss a car just call it embarrassing. So if the smart is different, you haven't tried one for more than a test drive, and you want to write a mindless article....just do what the "author did. You can file the author under Morons for the Masses!

I am extremely embarrassed as I own two of those on the list. :D

·
Registered
287 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
...and just yesterday, my wife and I noticed someone in the Kroger parking lot walking around our car, so I remotely opened the top. About 15 minutes of discussion followed, letting him sit inside, and he watched us put all of our groceries in the trunk. Result: As soon as his lease is up on his Ford Taurus, he is going to purchase a smart.

There were probably 100 cars in the parking lot...and he chose the only smart car to look at.

This was also not statistically significant...but this is the only car in my 50 years of driving that folks have approached me to ask about my car. I have been approached more than 20 times in my 4 years of ownership. I think many folks in this forum would say the same thing...and that could be significant.

·
Registered
4,295 Posts
...and just yesterday, my wife and I noticed someone in the Kroger parking lot walking around our car, so I remotely opened the top. About 15 minutes of discussion followed, letting him sit inside, and he watched us put all of our groceries in the trunk. Result: As soon as his lease is up on his Ford Taurus, he is going to purchase a smart.

There were probably 100 cars in the parking lot...and he chose the only smart car to look at.

This was also not statistically significant...but this is the only car in my 50 years of driving that folks have approached me to ask about my car. I have been approached more than 20 times in my 4 years of ownership. I think many folks in this forum would say the same thing...and that could be significant.

It's definitely an attention getter...:D I said this right after buying mine in 08: You cannot own a smart and be an introvert...

I still get looks. I still laugh at all the folks who "rubber neck" as I drive by. 6 1/2 years, and 160K miles, and it still grabs folks attention...:D What's not to love about it???

·
Registered
78 Posts
reality is, that in the USA, if its not a toyota Camry or a Honda Accord.. (or acts just like one of the above).. then the car reviewers are going to hate on it..

Jeep wranglers continuously get HATE ratings from reviewers.. but people still Buy them.. enough so its what pretty much keeps the jeep brand in business...

People tend to Hate on what they dont know as opposed to learn about what they dont know..
ive had my smart less than a week and already from my neighbors and friends ive heard:
'wow look how much legroom you have'
'it rides much better than I thought'
' it has pretty decent pick-up'
' it feels safer to ride in than i thought it would'

all the things that make the reviewers hate the car for debunked.... (then people just pick up and repeat what the reviewers say without ever seeing the car)..

and the trouble is the reviewers have influence in the business.. the 2012 Honda Civic should be a study for anyone in the automotive design business..

honda redeisgns the civic.. the reviewers HATED it with passion...
the PEOPLE BOUGHT IT LIKE CRAZY!.. yep that car sold better than the previous 4 years..
honda succombed to the reviewers knowing that after 1 year of bad reviews the car would likely suffer in sales.. so they redesigned it again for 2013 to a car that the reviewers Liked better.. but the 2013 sold a few more units than the 2012.. but surely not enough more units to justify a redesign cost.. the reviewers got their way indeed...

-Christopher

·
Registered
536 Posts
looks like I couldn't afford a real size car? It bothers me how ignorant most people are to the smart brand... I could have easily bought a Base VW Jetta for about the same price as the fortwo, but I'm actually passionate towards the brand and find it to work extremely well for me.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts