Smart Car of America Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
564 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just found this awesome article which answers lots of technical question about the US-spec smart:

http://www.zercustoms.com/news/Smart-Fortwo-Launched-in-USA.html

Haven't disected it fully yet, but lots of new facts:

US crash boxes are bigger (may account for higher weight quoted for US model).

Transmission has "creep" feature built in for US model.

Gear ratios are different for US model (lower first, higher fifth)

Compression ratio is lower for US model.

Official EPA mileages under both 2007 and 2008 test included.

·
Registered
533 Posts
"...In creep mode the car moves along at walking speed and can take uphill gradients of a five percent maximum."

Man, the only way I could be happier about that would be if there is actually a button that says "Creep Mode".

·
Registered
1,860 Posts
Ah glad you posted this.... I had forgotten about the "Tire pressure control system"

I plan on aftermarket alloy rims (wider) and new shoes.... anyone know how this system works? Is there a wireless sensor inside the factory rims? If yes can it be retro fitted to aftermarket rims....??

I hate admitting there is something I know nothing about but here you have it..... grin

·
Registered
533 Posts
I had wondered about that system too. Is it a control or a warning system? Does it tell you about a problem or does it DO something about it. If it does something (uh, add air?) where does it get the air from?

Here are some other modes I'd like to have mode buttons for...

Stealth
Large
Small(er)
Dual Reciprocity (I don't know but it sounded cool)
Funk
Wormhole
Dank
Stupify
Christmas
Blither
Late
Bistro
Cafe
Hut
Romulan

·
Registered
347 Posts
There is no air pressure sensor in the factory rims, so any aftermarket wheels and tires that fit will work with the system. It does not "control" the air pressure per se. Rather, it measures the difference in wheel speed from side to side over a minimum distance and determines if one of your tires is low. In the case of a low tire, you must add air yourself. The car cannot do it for you.

Really good article, Micronut! There's more info on our smarts there than I've seen in any other single location. Thanks for sharing it with us.

·
Registered
517 Posts
I just want a single additional button, than when pressed, lights up a little sign that says, "Please do not press this button again."

I had wondered about that system too. Is it a control or a warning system? Does it tell you about a problem or does it DO something about it. If it does something (uh, add air?) where does it get the air from?

Here are some other modes I'd like to have mode buttons for...

Stealth
Large
Small(er)
Dual Reciprocity (I don't know but it sounded cool)
Funk
Wormhole
Dank
Stupify
Christmas
Blither
Late
Bistro
Cafe
Hut
Romulan

·
Registered
3,588 Posts
Real Info at last.

Micronut.

Good post-tough read. :)

The reduction in compression ratio is of great interest to those of us considering a tubo add on, be it Mitsu or aftermarket.

Sure would love that 84 Hp. :D

A2jack

·
Registered
875 Posts
Great article MicroNut! One of the most detailed and well researched ones I read, and notice on the gallery we can now see the US spec interior, A/C cotrols in Farenheight, speedometer in MPH.
You can always count on MicroNut to find all the articles.:)

Gus

·
Registered
309 Posts
1) "... 40/45 miles to the gallon (city/highway) under 2007 EPA provisions. ... 33/40 miles to the gallon (city/highway) according to 2008 EPA regulations. "

convertible same mpg?
33/40, confirms 08 usa smart 'best mpg' all-gas production vehicle in america.

2) "Because the masses being moved are low, there is no need for a balancer shaft which would reduce the output of the engine and consumption efficiency."

noticed rough idle at the summer event (at times, other times smooth), causing the windshield to 'rumble' and vibrate, when touched. this explanation important. means engine vibration is natural, not due to bad engine, wires, timing, etc.

ie, no need to search endlessly trying to fix natural vibration. given a choice, prefer no balancer shaft, and some vibration, for more mpg and power.

3) "To ensure adherence to the low emission and consumption values, even with different fuel qualities, the US versions have a lower compression ratio (10.0:1 instead of 11.4:1). This measure enables the engine to run closer to optimum combustion under a high load, resulting in low emissions and low consumption coupled with maximum driving fun."

may the lower usa compression, imply lower cost than recommended 91 premium fuel, could be substituted without significantly sacrificing mpg or engine integrity? note phrase above, 'even with different fuel qualities'.

4) "automated five-speed manual transmission ... standard. ... no need for a clutch pedal ... Changing the gears does not take longer than a conventional manual transmission. shift delays (interruptions in tractive power) on same level as a manual gearbox. ... Instead of stepping on a clutch pedal, one simply can change gears with the shift lever."

good buyer/owner/driving info. not an automatic. a 'manual transmission', with an electric automated clutch pedal. changes the trans perception.

5) "fifth gear has a longer ratio for low revs and a low noise level when cruising"

better final 5th gear mpg, & longer engine life from fewer revs.

·
Super Moderator
28,907 Posts
Excellent info

Micro, thanks for the link. Not only great info but the gallery photos are just what I've been looking for. Love that analog clock!

·
Registered
183 Posts
Has anybody got any idea what the hockey puck on the windshield behind the rear view mirror on the cabrio is? I don't see anything like it on the coupe.

·
Registered
152 Posts
??? Black 'thing' on Windhield header

Great question smartie. I've been wondering the same thing. :confused: Looking at all the photos I can find, it's only on the Carbrio's.

Dave my first thought was the same as you, that is was a sensor for the rain sensing wipers - But I saw one on a car with beige cloth interior, and the auto wipers are only available with the black leather package.

Anyone know what the heck that is?

·
Registered
183 Posts
I don't know but it looks awful big for a sensor.

There has been alot of complaints of the mirror blocking the view of taller drivers. There are even different length mirror mounts available to raise or lower the mirror for better visability. That hockey puck looks like it's right in the way no matter what you do.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts