Smart Car of America Forum banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
142 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I never thought the vehicle I drove would have a problem with my weight. I don't weight 418 lbs, but at least slightly more than half that. However, I've definitely exceeded the weight limit with other people in the vehicle. :smartje.wt.zw:

My brother and I in the ED, break the max limit by 50 lbs. My wife and I in the car are barely under the max limit (-3 lbs).

Should I get different tires or just run a slightly lower pressure? :confused:

·
Premium Member
MY08 cabrio MY09 cabrio Brabus MY15 ED
7,638 Posts
I wasn't aware of the rather low load limits on Ed no doubt a product of the heavy battery?

Here are the ICE load limits as posted in 2007 by model - obviously the variances are a product of the additional weight carried by each model.

Pure is 518 pounds, 235kg.

Passion
is 507 pounds, 230kg.

Cabriolet is 463 pounds, 210kg.

Ed is 418 pounds, 190kg.

These limits are likely reflecting the suspension limits and tire specifications?

Exceeding the limits may put additional strain/wear on the suspension while impacting ride quality and cause the tires to heat up while lowering the MPG/E?

Obviously, adding a trailer adds "hitch weight" to the load too.

·
Registered
33 Posts
Never gave it a thought. Have exceeded the limit with two people and a full trunk. Car handled fine and probably better than with just me in it. By the way, we are probably the same weight- me and my passengers.

·
Registered
4,295 Posts
I wouldn't worry about it. Back in 2010, my wife and I drove the 600+ miles(each way) to the Kansas City Nationals, and we were well over the load limit on my smart with both of us, and a trunk full of luggage. No harm, no foul. I still managed 40+ mpg for the trip.:)

Oh, and I'm closing in real quick on 162K miles on my smart...

·
Registered
312 Posts
I personally think the shocks are a little weak to run over the limit. I always feel ED slightly bottom out on wavy roads and speed bumps. With the shocks were I little better.

·
Registered
11,472 Posts
I wouldn't worry about it. Back in 2010, my wife and I drove the 600+ miles(each way) to the Kansas City Nationals, and we were well over the load limit on my smart with both of us, and a trunk full of luggage. No harm, no foul. I still managed 40+ mpg for the trip...

Same here...with me being "big boned and fluffy" and the wife the same (don't tell her I said that :p), the dog and all her sh...errr...stuff :))), we are always "over" the limit and do 40+mpg over the WV and VA mountains on a regular basis :p

·
Registered
4,295 Posts
Same here...with me being "big boned and fluffy" and the wife the same (don't tell her I said that :p), the dog and all her sh...errr...stuff :))), we are always "over" the limit and do 40+mpg over the WV and VA mountains on a regular basis :p
Haha!!! Big boned and fluffy... I'll have to remember that...:D

·
17,390 Posts
For the Red Wing trip, I think I had the car just under 100 lb over the limit. Still averaged 40 MPG and the only problem I noticed was the lack of suspension travel up front.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Not all tires the same. read the side wall on the tires, take the car and get it weighed with every thing in it, if you are worried, but remember (never) run higher air pressure, then it says on the side of the tire, always check your tires cold.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts