Smart Car of America Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello. About a month ago I bought my 2009 smart fortwo and absolutely LOVE it.

A couple weeks ago I noticed a weird clicking only when the A/C (or fan I guess?) is on. It comes from the back of the car and sounds like a valve opening or clicking. It happens every 10-15 seconds when the A/C is on.

Any idea what it is?

Otherwise, the car is great.

·
Premium Member
5,764 Posts
It could be low on refrigerant. If low and the compressor comes on, once the pressure on the suction line gets low enough, a lo pressure switch will cut out the compressor to prevent damage to it; pressure equalizes, the switch turns back on until it cuts off again and the process repeats every little bit.
Get your car to an automotive a.c. service center for a proper vacuum pull down for leak detection and recharge with the proper volume of oil and refrigerant.
Good luck, and enjoy your car.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks for your response.

I'm not car savvy in the slightest, so is it an expensive thing to test for a leak and refill the refrigerant?

For clarification, the AC works great. Just has the noise in the back when its on.

·
He's not mine
9,607 Posts
I have heard, on occasion, a sound which sounds like what you're describing. Mine doesn't do it all the time the A/C is on (nearly always on). And, like yours, the A/C seems to be performing normally.

I couldn't tell about the cost of the service. I'm thinking it isn't a big ticket deal. Maybe someone in the know will fill us in.

Or, just call or stop by and ask for an estimate.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I went out tonight and tested a few things and have a better description of the sound.

If the A/C is set to on when the engine starts, it makes a noise like a valve/piston/something opening. Then every 15-20 seconds it will make another opening noise followed by a closing noise a second or two after. When I shut off the engine it makes a closing noise.

·
Registered
16 Posts
I also hear this sound on my 2013 smart. Not sure what it is. I just had the clutch and transmission replaced, so perhaps it's related to that.

The A/C is still ice cold, so I don't suspect anything is wrong. However, weird sounds in such a small car do catch my attention.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts