Smart Car of America Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Sorry for Rapid Fire Questions

I've had this issue for 2 years, too. I've posted this to /r/smartcar on reddit ages ago if you recognize it.
2008 451 47K owned for 3 years since 31k

My ESP light comes on when I do about a half hour of highway driving. I rarely do this. I'm a stop and go city driver. I shut the car off and the light will go off immediately even if I were to just pull over on the shoulder and resume highway driving again. Then it would come on after about a half hour.

Mercedes Dealer a couple years ago said the codes couldn't tell them what was wrong and that the steering angle sensor needed replacing.

What's weird is that when I do come across snow or ice it seems like the ESP is engaging just fine. The light flashes on the dash and it starts to break and does what it's supposed to do.

What do you all think?

Unrelatedly (I think) lots of things died a couple months ago and I still owe $5K on the car loan, I've put more money into it than I otherwise would (replaced transmission, clutch, exhaust,) to get it back on the road. I'm trying to avoid spending money on things that aren't vital or to do as much DIY as I can. Especially after paying for a transmission to be replaced.

·
Registered
1,635 Posts
Sorry for Rapid Fire Questions

I've had this issue for 2 years, too. I've posted this to /r/smartcar on reddit ages ago if you recognize it.
2008 451 47K owned for 3 years since 31k

My ESP light comes on when I do about a half hour of highway driving. I rarely do this. I'm a stop and go city driver. I shut the car off and the light will go off immediately even if I were to just pull over on the shoulder and resume highway driving again. Then it would come on after about a half hour.

Mercedes Dealer a couple years ago said the codes couldn't tell them what was wrong and that the steering angle sensor needed replacing.

What's weird is that when I do come across snow or ice it seems like the ESP is engaging just fine. The light flashes on the dash and it starts to break and does what it's supposed to do.

What do you all think?
I think speculation is pointless mental masturbation. You would need to have the whole car scanned for faults in all systems and note the descriptions of the related faults to start. This would require a European car friendly scan tool. After that a look at live data along with the fault codes should give a direction.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I should try a different smart dealer. There are two close to me. This is not the first thing they've disappointed me on. :-(

1 - 3 of 3 Posts