Smart Car of America Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
347 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I went out and drove off in my '12 Smart Car Passion the other day. I frequently use my left foot to apply my brakes with. At the corner to my road I pushed down as I normally do, but something felt weird as my foot pushed downward on what I thought was the brake pedal. It actually felt like my car had two pedals and not just the brake pedal. I then pushed the brake pedal with my right foot and the car stopped at the stop sign. (Hard to explain this).

Any rate, I pulled over to see what the issue was, as it really felt strange to me and I could not see below the dash as I was seated. When I opened up my car door and got down to look beneath the dash, I found that the SAM unit had dropped down and was simply hanging there. It was what I had pushed on with my left foot and not the brake pedal.

Even when my relay switch was giving me problems in diagnosing my car not having the flashers work properly, I never actually removed the SAM unit. I took the car to the Ok. City Mercedes dealership and their mechanic worked on it. I never saw what he had done as they didn't allow a customer out in the garage area where work was being done. I don't recall anything handing down afterwards though.

Now here is the other weird part. There is a bar of pins (not sure what the correct term is) that is fully unplugged and dangling. It is blue in color. Even without that connection made, the car seems to work fine and all the lights and instruments still work. I have not tried to plug it in as my arthritis keeps me from bending down much to inspect things. Is this plug supposed to be dangling like that? I somehow doubt it. Therefore, I was thinking that someone may have been attempting to remove the SAM unit when the car was parked outside of my garage. Maybe they got interrupted before they pulled anything though. I always lock my car and even test it before I go inside, so I didn't find any evidence of a break in. If the MB mechanic left all this unhooked, wouldn't it have shown up by now, as this was done several months back?

Again, I have not tried to hook up that connector or to push the SAM unit back into place, yet. Just found all of this weird and wondering how it is that my car works okay if this big connecter piece isn't hooked up to anything like that? It is a baby blue plastic connector.

I have only seen maybe 6-7 Smart Cars in this area, so I am thinking it isn't likely to be one of those owners who may have attempted a 5 finger discount of my SAM unit, but one never knows.

Any ideas on what may have happened and what I really need to do to put it all back correctly? I sure hate to drive to OK City to have them reinstall this SAM unit for me. Their prices are not cheap in the least, even when they can't really fix a problem, as they claimed when they worked on my flasher problem.

Thanks.

·
Registered
347 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
Where my Smartie is parked I do have a motion detector and my two dogs are great about barking at the front window when anything at all approaches my front yard.

Since this SAM unit apparently does not fit just any year model of a Smart Car, I am inclined to believe it wasn't a thief who was trying to take it, but instead, the last mechanic who didn't reinstall it correctly and it just dropped down finally. That does not explain away the loose baby blue electrical connector though. I am confused about that.

Since I have never installed one of these units, how difficult is it to put it back into place properly? Does it snap in or require bolts or screws? Where does that baby blue electrical connector actually plug in? Anyone have photos to share?

Thanks.

·
Registered
1,635 Posts
The SAM is secured with two screws on a hinge at the rear of the unit, which is closest to the seat. The forward end has latch that probably was not fully latched previously. One should be able to just push up on the SAM at the forward end and have it latch into place unless the latch is actually broken.

·
Registered
347 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks. I haven't played about with it today.

What is that blue electrical connector for? It is just dangling and not connected. Where does it connect?

·
Registered
347 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Unfortunately, I really never have much luck in posting photos here at all. My flickr and photobucket limits are all full, so no way to show a photo of it. I'll try to push it back into place a bit later though, so thanks for the input. I have zero clue as to where that blue connector goes, but it does not seem to effect anything in being unhooked.

·
Registered
271 Posts
I have had my SAM unit down and loose before, to tap a wire. It's a was a real pain for me to get it back in place. All of the cables plugs are unique; you can't plug a connector into the wrong place. Even with the SAM hanging down there it can be difficult to plug those connectors back in. You need good lighting and possibly a mirror to help you see better where the socket is.

Evilution - Smart Car Encyclopaedia

1 - 7 of 7 Posts