Smart Car of America Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello all, and thanks for your help in advance!

I’m new to the Smart family as I just purchased a 2009 Smart Brabus.

The maintenance has been super easy so far (changing oil & changing transmission fluid) but there’s a weird squealing noise at low speeds while turning mainly. There’s no kind of shaking or anything like an axels bent..

I’ve googled and looked all over forums but can’t seem to find any suggestions.

Thanks again for your help!

·
Registered
700 Posts
Dragging brakes or bad bearings . Suspect . Put some anti squeal on the pads and check the bearings for play or roughness

·
Registered
2012 Passion, 2013 Passion, 2013 ED, 2008 Cabrio.
16 Posts
Hello all, and thanks for your help in advance!

I’m new to the Smart family as I just purchased a 2009 Smart Brabus.

The maintenance has been super easy so far (changing oil & changing transmission fluid) but there’s a weird squealing noise at low speeds while turning mainly. There’s no kind of shaking or anything like an axels bent..

I’ve googled and looked all over forums but can’t seem to find any suggestions.

Thanks again for your help! View attachment 63355
One of my Smarts was doing that too. I don’t think I hear the weird honking/squealing noise anymore but now I hear metal to metal grinding from the brakes that are overdue to be changed(I know, should have done changed them already but I’ve misplaced the brake and rotor kit I bought a few months back. I guess I’ll have to buy another one 🙄). But even that is weird cause sometimes it grinds and sometimes there is no noise. Sometimes it keeps on grinding till I hit the brakes again. My suggestion would be to change the brakes and make sure to put grease on all the recommended places.

·
Registered
156 Posts
I have this same sound but it doesn't seem like brake noise. It seems like chassis noise. Havent tracked it down yet but it doesn't seem to cause any issues. Sounds like frame parts creaking against each other. I have a 2010 451

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
One of my Smarts was doing that too. I don’t think I hear the weird honking/squealing noise anymore but now I hear metal to metal grinding from the brakes that are overdue to be changed(I know, should have done changed them already but I’ve misplaced the brake and rotor kit I bought a few months back. I guess I’ll have to buy another one 🙄). But even that is weird cause sometimes it grinds and sometimes there is no noise. Sometimes it keeps on grinding till I hit the brakes again. My suggestion would be to change the brakes and make sure to put grease on all the recommended places.
Hello, yes I plan on replacing everything with time. I just wanted to make sure it wasn’t a known issue with these cars.

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I have this same sound but it doesn't seem like brake noise. It seems like chassis noise. Havent tracked it down yet but it doesn't seem to cause any issues. Sounds like frame parts creaking against each other. I have a 2010 451
Yeah, it’s a super weird noise lol.

·
Registered
2012 Passion, 2013 Passion, 2013 ED, 2008 Cabrio.
16 Posts
Fwiw I am a mechanic and have checked brakes and wheel bearings. It sounds like suspension or chassis not these 2 things.
At one point I wondered if it was in the steering since it would squeal when turning. It seem to have gone away now though.

·
Registered
550 Posts
Check for a dry thrust bearing at the top of the shock tower. As the shock shifts around, a dry bearing can make very loud sounds.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts