Smart Car of America Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
154 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So my brake & turn lights on the pass side were out.
I pulled the light board out & it had bulbs in only the top and bottom sockets, none in the middle(!)

Looking at the light housing there is no way I coulda put a bulb in there anyway since the housing doesn't seem to have a hole for the middle socket.

I replaced the top bulb which restored my turn/brake lights.

But what is with that superfluous center socket? Maybe there for another vehicle?

·
Registered
7,673 Posts
The rear lighting socket, is carried over from the 3 tail lamp. 450 model. I thought it was strange too. The first of 25 tail lamp replacements of the years. Here’s a video of the 450’s tail lamp replacement.

https://youtu.be/8k2fESouWO0

·
Registered
53 Posts
I have been thinking of turning that unused center socket into rear fog lights, as the European version only has a one single side rear fog light option. I would also have to cut a place for it in the back of the light housing -might be a fun mod tho.

·
Registered
352 Posts
Laser beam for aholes that tailgate within 2 feet at 70mph is a better option I think
I have been thinking of turning that unused center socket into rear fog lights, as the European version only has a one single side rear fog light option. I would also have to cut a place for it in the back of the light housing -might be a fun mod tho.

·
Registered
120 Posts
Indeed it's a slot for a separate amber turn signal on the euro cars. I've done the conversion myself. Bought the proper tail lamps from a forum member here, and the wiring was quite interesting to say the least...

·
Registered
42 Posts
Indeed it's a slot for a separate amber turn signal on the euro cars. I've done the conversion myself. Bought the proper tail lamps from a forum member here, and the wiring was quite interesting to say the least...

I thought about doing that but too much of a pain to wire. I think the orange signals are so much safer.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts