Smart Car of America Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
861 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
what do you remember

Ming treatment to paint to keep anything from sticking to the paint and rarely have to wash it

wheel balancing rings filled with fluid and weights that balance a wheel as you were driving so the tire didn't need balancing

some kind of device mounted in the trunk that was supposed to alter the car weight when cornering hard

some type of metallic epoxy that when a ball joint was worn you squirted this stuff in and it replaced the grease and made the ball joint like new

cyclonator that you put over the top of the carb in the air filter and it was supposed to spin the air like a tornado and increase HP and give better MPG

magnets that you attach to the fuel line to alter the atomic stucture and give better mileage

the Nay box. it was a hand built carb that would increase the normal fuel to air ratio and increase mileage tremendously. as the story goes GM wanted to buy his plans but he wouldn't sell because he wanted people to benefit and it was fairly easy to build and he knew GM wouldn't put it on cars. shortly after he was found dead and the plans disappeared.

·
Registered
1,205 Posts
A

One thing I recall that DID work was a an on-car spin-balancing gadget - a hubcap-like thing was attached to the wheel - it had knobs right on the center of rotation and a visual indicator (analog-mechanical of course). The wheel would be spun up to at least 70 mph with a separate powered roller gadget (front wheels) or with the engine in gear (rear wheels) and the mechanic would lightly touch the knobs (thereby turning them - the whole assembly was spinning) in some random manner until the wheel spun smoothly with no vibration. The wheel was stopped and the indicator and a pointer would show where to hammer on the weights. It worked superbly. It was the only way to balance the wheels once you had the brake drums (no disc brakes back then) lathe-turned or replaced because it balanced everything - you only had to remember to mark the wheel and a lug and replace the wheel the exact way it came off.

The gadget certainly had it hazards working close to a fast spinning car wheel - and I think that it was mechanics breaking or even losing arms that led to its demise.

·
Registered
861 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
yeh i remember the speed balancing too. it fascinated me how it worked. usually when you got new tires they would static balance them at no charge but would cost more to speed balance them. that machine could really spin those tires fast. the mechanic always made sure the label was off new tires and stones were removed from tires that had been in service or they would be projectiles.

i also remember before stereos they had reverbs. i had one and if i hit a bump hard enough you would get a boing boing in the rear speaker. that woud cause me to chuckle cause it reminded me of the sound affects in the roadrunner cartoon when the coyotes schemes would backfire. i still love roadrunner cartoons

·
17,474 Posts
"weird things that didn't work" ?????

I suppose there is some rule about maligning former/current presidents in this forum?
I absolutely love you for this. I'm giggling at my desk at work. 0:)>:D

Reactions: wrumbarger

·
17,474 Posts
In honor of Bette Midler, how about "The Divine Miss M"?
Oh my! I don't think I could ever call myself divine! I don't think I am, I think I'm pretty normal. :nerd:

As Mick sings:

MISS you.
:)

You know, I have my own theories as to why I chose Mercedes as my new name. It was a spur of the moment kinda thing where I told myself I'd pick the first name that came to mind. I happened to have been driving my smart at the time, that may have had an influence!

·
Registered
861 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
dust shields that would mount behind the wheel to keep the brake dust off the rim.....the worked great but the air supply was cut off and the rotors blued from over heating

1 - 16 of 16 Posts