Smart Car of America Forum banner

Welcome to the Smart World!

4K views 10 replies 6 participants last post by  jimvw57 
#1 · (Edited)
Hello everyone. I am a Smart ForTwo owner living in Leicester, England and I stumbled across this forum and thought I would congratulate you all on your forthcoming Smart purchases!

I have a 2003 ForTwo Cabrio Pulse and I love it.

If you don't mind I will tell you about my experiences and provide some words of advice?

First and most important is to make sure you wave at other Smarts when you see them on the road!

[/IMG]

See less See more
#2 ·
Hello everyone. I am a Smart ForTwo owner living in Leicester, England and I stumbled across this forum and thought I would congratulate you all on your forthcoming Smart purchases!

I have a 2003 ForTwo Cabrio Pulse and I love it.

If you don't mind I will tell you about my experiences and provide some words of advice?

First and most important is to make sure you wave at other Smarts when you see them on the road!

how bout like this? :D
You had one too many http:// in your link! (I removed it!)

Thanks for the welcome, certainly am looking forward to the experience after the wait! :)

#3 ·
Thanks for the help!

My first piece of advice for those who have yet to place an order is to go for the cabrio if your exchequer allows.

The soft top is what really makes these cars, especially as it appears the new model allows a complete collapse of the roof while driving. (The present model will 'peel' back while on the move, but if it is the 'collapsed' position that is desired, a stop is required)

Can I ask if US drivers have to pay a yearly tax on their vehicle?

In the UK we pay a yearly 'Vehicle Excise Duty' fee to licence the vehicle for use on public roads and the rate is calculated on the CO2 emmissions of the vehicle.

The upshot is that I pay

#4 ·
Unfortunately.......none!

A few years back there were some tax incentives for buying hybrids, but I think those have expired. additionally we get off pretty much scott-free as far as emissions go, all though extra excise taxes are a state to state basis.

By the way, did I mention I've registered for the Cabrio! ;)

#5 ·
SmartCard, you are a man of impeccable taste!

Reading the Smart Club review of the new car (conducted by experienced Smarties, therefore more useful to the likes of me than the posturing of journalists) it seems the new car is everything the old one was and more.

I think the exterior and interior styling of the old model was better, but that is a 10 year old design and new regulations have forced the changes (I have to say the US is being blamed for the rather dull dash design due to the report that amazingly, you conduct your crash tests sans seatbelts?)

Other than that it is reported to be superior in every respect: safety (Which was and is not the issue some make it out to be, my car is a ten year old design with a few tweaks and when it was tested in 2000 it scored 3 stars, perfectly normal for a car of that period and way better than a lot of vehicles whose drivers seem to think provide them with invulnerability), performance, servicing ease and cost, comfort and space.

I wish I was in the market for a new car, It sounds very good indeed!

Anothe tip, if you are getting the cabrio, pay the extra and get the heated leather seats, I use mine with the roof down in winter!

#6 ·
I drive a '87 Saab 900 8v non-turbo, and a '88 Saab 900 SPG. The "Classic" Saab community also encourages waving.

I'm used to jokes about my cars and have heard just about everything. Driving a Smart car will be a nice change of ridicule.

Neither of my cars have airbags, I'm moving decades ahead in technology.

#7 ·
When the PT Cruiser first came out, to wave was the rule of thumb also. Of course, after the years went by if you were to wave to a PTC owner now, they'd think you're crazy! :rolleyes:

I usually try to give a wave or a nod at least to fellow MINI drivers as well!
Can't wait to be driving around town will my Cabrio's top down - I'll wave to anybody! :cool:

#9 ·
Here in the US of A we do pay a yearly license fee which varies from state to state. A Cabrio would be a fun options for about 3-4 months out of the year, the rest are pretty much too clod and too much snow. If I had a garage, I might consider a soft-top but for now, I'll stick to my Pure. Welcome!! I should mention I am in MN which is northern USA.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.