Smart Car of America Forum banner

Well, it finally happened... (Vehicle Homepage)

11K views 35 replies 12 participants last post by  sokoloff 
#1 ·
Looks like the end of Vehicle Homepage today. My account data was wiped (language, country, vehicle), ran through the set up and was greeted with the attached. I'll miss getting notifications from the smart via the EvAccess app.

Transmitted via a Moto Z Play Droid and Tapatalk

See less See more
#6 ·
I spent 17 minutes (mostly on hold) with MB Customer assistance.
The number provided on the homepage legal section is 800-367-6372

What they eventually told me is that YES the my smart homepage has been "stopped" as previously reported.

There will be a NEW homepage type website in the near future, but they don't know when or how to access it?

So at some point we may get a new website to log into?

#15 ·
So this device has its own 3g connection to the fleetkarma account page for you and your device, it also records a spreatsheet with stats that they use and you can download. lots of good stats and can be seen on phone so soc charge when you parked or last started the car is recorded. I can also see effeciency distance temp etc etc. see attached, my june sheet so far.

#27 ·
I found the OBD plug and pulled down the door then plunged in my friends "VEEPEAK" and the blue light comes on. Can't find any software to read or clear the codes. My friend uses "VEEPEAK" to get codes and clear codes on all kinds of cars. It works on his Toyota Prius and other cars.

I do not check my HV battery with my cell phone. I was saying that ATT or Samsung can test the battery and fix and update my phone over the internet so, I can't see why my "smart" car can't do the same thing.

I bought this car with 17000 miles on it soon after my dash warning went on it now says I am 370 days past my service time. The car has never been serviced. I was told it was "serviced" when I bought it but, then I was told by MB that it has never been serviced.

#25 ·
#26 ·
You can use the OBD connection to get the info on your battery's health using the unit that my son built. Other than that, I'm not sure that the OBD connection does much else for the DIY guys.

Here is the reset method that works for me on both of my electric 2014's.

1. Turn key to position 1

2. While the cluster is still saying "Smart," double click the button
to bring up the maintenance indicator.

3. Release the button and turn the key off.

4. Quickly press and hold the button and turn the key back to position
1. This is while the cluster still has the maintenance reminder on.

5. Hold the button in until it resets to 10K.

6. Worked for me!!

Len
2014 EV Coupe 17,500 miles
2014 EV Cabriolet 9,500 miles

#29 ·
The contact information for getting the battery pack health report downloader hardware is here:

https://www.smartcarofamerica.com/forums/f24/

The reason that the Smart vehicle homepage was discontinued was becasue the 2013-15 Smart communications module (integral with an (expensive) master electronic module called the "SAM") used 2G technology (in the US, AT&T or T-Mobile?) which has or will soon be discontinued, and also, it used used a vehicle homepage for each Smart owner residing on MB's server in Germany (rather than a stand-alone cellphone app) which they decided it was too expensive or impractical to continue.

Chalk it up to the rapid change in communication/computer technology, versus the long time it takes for a manufacturer to take a car design from initial sketches to the assembly line. They ended up being saddled with a technology that became obsolete with no practical way to upgrade it save for selling you a whole new car.

#32 · (Edited)
Maybe it is my age. But I am overjoyed simply to own a car that is electric, environmentally responsible, handles like it is on rails, and the perfect size for the urban streets and narrow windy hilly suburban roads in my area. With the right tires it goes through snow like a Subaru Outback (or the old VW Beetle) too.

Except for the remote-pre-heat-while-on-shore-power feature, the electronic stuff in cars does not interest me much. In particular, I hate those "infotainment" touch-screens on cars that are ergonomic disasters - especially for the reading-distance vision of those of us over 50. You could not give me a Tesla Model 3 - although I'd gladly take a Chevy Bolt!

-----

Oh, as as far as maintenance, since your car is now off-warranty, I would not worry about it. Except for the items checked by the annual inspection that most states (presumably California), there really is no maintenance on a Smart ED (or other electric cars) except for a battery pack desiccant cartridge - easily DIY-replaced every other year, and the heater/ac air filter replacement - also an easy DIY. Of course, be alert to the usual things you do in any car - fluid leaks, brake, steering, or suspension noises and the like.

Check the sticky topic about the desiccant replacement in this forum for more info.

#33 ·
Just ordered a device from fasttech.com

OVMS v3.1 Kit w/ SIM5360 3G Modem Module (US Edition)
OVMS v3.1 w/ SIM5360, US Edition / SKU: 9642829

can install my own 3g card and looks like I will be able to see car from app

Designed for technically experienced OVMS v2 users and v3 developers
Functionality is approximately equivalent to basic OVMS v2 firmware, but some advanced features (such as ACC, SMS control, etc) are not available yet.
Firmware is far in advance of v2 in other aspects (such as built in web server, metrics, console, tcp/ip support, diagnostics, geofencing, scripting, etc).
Firmware can be updated either Over The Air (OTA), by Micro SD card, or over USB interface.
Supports Kia Soul EV, Nissan Leaf, Renault Twizy, Tesla Roadster.
The antenna and vehicle connectors for OVMS v3 are the same as for OVMS v2, and existing cables/antennas can generally be re-used for OVMS v3. Note, however, that the frequency ranges supported by individual 3G networks may be different than 2G, so may benefit from an antenna specifically designed for the 3G frequency ranges used.
Includes 2G (GSM/GPRS) and 2.5G (EDGE) quad band
Processor: ESP32 WROVER (16MB flash, 4MB SPI RAM, 520KB SARM)
Processor core: Dual-core
Processor frequency: 160MHz/240MHz
CAN bus no. : 3

#35 ·
#36 ·
Just an FYI - a 14 mm allen also works great to R&R the desiccant cartridge and is typically easier/cheaper to find, maybe already have on hand. Also the cartridge can easily be changed without jacking up the car at all. I like the idea of just replacing the beads. That's probably the route I'll go once mine are out of warranty.

Len
2014 EV Coupe 19,500 miles
2014 EV Cabriolet 15,000 miles

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.