Smart Car of America Forum banner

1 - 20 of 57 Posts

·
Registered
2,040 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Saturday 8 AM I'm driving along a 2 Lane Hwy. guy falls asleep at the wheel I only had a little bit of time to make a right quick right kind of took out my holes my Jetta not sure total it or not but I think I'm a look for a new car either way.
Considering another small car maybe a smart maybe a Fiat I don't know yet

·
Registered
47 Posts
Sorry to hear :crying: bummer hopefully it's fixable - if not I would highly recommend getting a EV - I know Smart is selling its EV Smart & I haven't yet test drove it yet, however we bought a Chevy Volt coming up to 2 years this March - love this car, we haven't changed the oil yet.

·
17,360 Posts
I'd downsize to the regular 500. The 500L and the MINI Countryman are just offensive. :D

·
Registered
6,881 Posts
We love our little 500. Been a great car for 3 years now. Really fun to drive. Really cheap maintenance. Mine been free. The 500L Tekking built quality really good. Better then the small 500. The L rides fantastic. It's really not a small car. It was designed as small family wagon, or for very active individuals. Its 7" longer then a Honda Fit, or a Mini Countryman. The sales of the new 500L haven't been stellar. I would recommend a Honda Fit too. There is a brand new model slated for spring 2014. Our present Fit never been in the shop for anything, except routine maintenance. It gets great gas milage. Another option, is the 2014 Kia Soul.

·
17,360 Posts
Whatever floats everyone's boat! :D

I saw the new Fit and the new Soul at the Chicago Auto Show...those are SHARP little cars...

If you're okay with cheap with a capital C, there's also the new Mitsubishi Mirage.

·
Registered
5,944 Posts
I was trying to find a Fit for that, but used ones are going for ridiculous money and had 50-70K miles on them. I ended up putting 1/3 down on a new Fit, and financing the rest to stay in the credit system. I got .9% interest! Interest over the life of the loan was just $200 bucks. It's actually a pretty good time to get a new car. Money is cheap. You will presumable collect a bit on the Jetta, if put that down on a new one, the payments will be quite low. Then if you take really good care of it you could easily get 200K+ miles out of it!

·
Registered
2,040 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
I got 8743.00, I paid 10.9 k for it so it not bad really do like the pop but worried because it's a belt.....

·
Registered
5,944 Posts
There is nothing inherently bad about a belt, except for a few hundred dollars maintenance. I think the schedule is 5 years or 75,000 miles. It's pretty easy to DIY, if you are into that (or have a family member who is). If you want maintenance free, my Corolla had no scheduled maintenance except oil for the first 120,000 miles!

·
17,360 Posts
I guess it depends on the brand. Late 90s and early 2000s Hyundai/KIA vehicles with timing belts are notorious for eating them up long before they're actually due for a change.

Spend 5 minutes on a KIA/Hyundai board and I can guarantee you'll find such a case. :(

But, of course we're talking about more modern cars...Fiats to be exact. Can't speak for that one.

·
OTD3 lifetime Member
2,970 Posts
Get another smart! You loved yours and only sold it because you needed a car that could haul more stuff. If you don't need that capability now I definitely vote for a smart. You can get a low mileage used one for less than $10,000.

·
Registered
2,040 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Get another smart! You loved yours and only sold it because you needed a car that could haul more stuff. If you don't need that capability now I definitely vote for a smart. You can get a low mileage used one for less than $10,000.
I still we'd that option I resell items now and make a pretty good living finding deals, I also found a IQ for the same price as the fiat, but not sure, I get a rentel for 3 days starting Thursday so will cover a lot of areas. A corolla might be a good thing, my insurance will only go up 160 if I ad either the fiat or IQ so that not bad. But looking for the right fit .......maybe another older Prius??

·
Premium Member
716 Posts
Hey GeekGirl, Sorry to hear of your accident and hope you are OK. The car can be replaced. We would all love to have you back in the smart fold. But as Smark and a couple of others have said take a look at the Fiat before shelling out $$$. I love my 500c and a better car but and it's a BIG but…. the smart is more fun and smiles. Too bad this didn't happen a few weeks ago as the used car lot, I think Martin's, down by the intersection of 200 and Dunnellon road in Ocala had a very nice later model smart passion coupe. It was on the lot for quite a while just noticed it was gone the other day. Also there appears to be a smart center in Gainesville now. So things are starting to pick up in Ocala land.

·
Registered
6,881 Posts
I find a used Honda Fit, or Civic. The timing belt/water pump are good for 100K mile.

For 13K more you can buy a brand new 2013 Fiat 500 Pop too. Timing belt on a 500 is good for 152K miles, 144 months.

There are plenty of used smart cars out there for under $10K. Go to Cars.com

·
Registered
2,040 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Hey GeekGirl, Sorry to hear of your accident and hope you are OK. The car can be replaced. We would all love to have you back in the smart fold. But as Smark and a couple of others have said take a look at the Fiat before shelling out $$$. I love my 500c and a better car but and it's a BIG but…. the smart is more fun and smiles. Too bad this didn't happen a few weeks ago as the used car lot, I think Martin's, down by the intersection of 200 and Dunnellon road in Ocala had a very nice later model smart passion coupe. It was on the lot for quite a while just noticed it was gone the other day. Also there appears to be a smart center in Gainesville now. So things are starting to pick up in Ocala land.
The tann one I saw that, it was a nice car.

1 - 20 of 57 Posts