Smart Car of America Forum banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So I was hoping that my first post here would be more along the lines of "just wanted to say hi!" but now I have an issue.

I went swimming with my key in my pocket (on accident) and didn't realize it until about 5 minutes later when I got out. Needless to say, it was soaked. I immediately took the battery out and washed it out with fresh water and rubbing alcohol as soon as I got home. Once it dried completely, I took the battery from the other key but it didn't work. So now I have one dead key (but I still have it!)

The next day my wife and I left home and gave the key to my dad. Long story short, he can't find it now.

So I have a dead key (but I can still drive the car) and the other key is missing. Can I get a replacement key made even though the electronics part of the key that I have are bad? And what would a new key and new "brain" cost?

·
Registered
656 Posts
i thought they were 250?

keep looking for your key.

on another note, we bought my daughter a jeep liberty, used, it came wiht ONE key. if we lose it, and we have once, we're screwed. thank goodness we found it. but onlly having one key is scary.

i really don't like that all that stuff is on the key, rather than a seperate do hitchie like my other daughter's volvo has.

·
Registered
11,891 Posts
Stella, $250 might cover 1 lost key, if you have another. But Lose both and a new ECU is required. Thats where the Big Money comes in

·
Registered
656 Posts
Stella, $250 might cover 1 lost key, if you have another. But Lose both and a new ECU is required. Thats where the Big Money comes in

but he has one, he needs a second, not two new ones.
unless i read that wrong? i dunno. i'm hungry. I don't think clear when i'm hungry:D

·
Registered
129 Posts
I ordered one extra key last year figuring I would eventually loose one. First charge was $200ish, that was for one complete key with electronics... one extra machined blank came with it (guess they cut the blanks in pairs).

Second charge to program the key brought the total near $300. It was necesary to bring the two existing keys to the dealer to be re-programmed along with the new one...

For multiple keys I would expect the first charge to be multiplied, but the hour at the dealer to do the programming probably won't double.

·
Registered
3,588 Posts
We thought our 2nd key was lost forever, as a three month search turned up zero.

Our dealer Smart, Bloomfield Mi. quoted around $325 (as we had a spare key, less the electronics, that would unlock the door) and their advice was to keep looking.

The key we had could not be just copied, but it and the car, needed to be reprogrammed. The other downside here was, if we got lucky and later found the lost key it would no longer work.

Good Luck and keep looking. We did, finely, find ours. :) A2Jack

·
Premium Member
11,310 Posts
They do offer a key insurance that I believe is good for a new key per year.

If the key still starts and runs the car, you only need the keyless remote and not the key part that the computer needs. Thats a whole different matter and shouldn't be that expensive (I think)

·
Registered
1,423 Posts
The key insurance is kind of a good deal, the cost of insurance is less than the cost of a key but make sure you "need" a key each year to make it work to your advantage.

·
Super Moderator
17,767 Posts
Wait, I see you drive a forfour...Do you live in the USA? :)

1 - 13 of 13 Posts