Smart Car of America Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
280 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hope there are some suppliers out there who are up to the task of offering some cool mods for the Smart.

Here's my first idea after not much thought. How about some custom body panels? Aero kits, side skirts, spoilers or faux NASA air scoops could all be included in an after-market body panel set. Send them to me just primed or offer some wild color combinations. Since the body panels can be replaced in a matter of hours, you could trick out for the weekend and go back to your regular color during the week. I'm already considering buying a second set of body panels anyway, why not make them something special?

tm

·
Registered
14 Posts
Mods

I would like to see some body panels made of carbon fiber. And of course the stuff like remap; performance intake and exhaust. That should get us started.

·
Registered
255 Posts
My suggestion

I'd like to see a turbo kit. All this 1,600lbs and 70hp reminds me of my '88 toyota tercel. 100hp would be mouth watering. intercooled @7psi sounds just right. Betcha we'll have it in a year.
I've heard somewhere that a hybrid version was coming out. 89mpg sounds good but, quicker acceleration sounds better.

·
Admin emeritus
3,974 Posts
I am looking for carbon fiber pieces and nice dress up kits... I will also be in the market for wheels asap!

·
Registered
465 Posts
Yeah, trick wheels so you don't see yourself on every corner, and maybe a little chunkier tires. The look is going to be prime for me. The wild body panels that are (were) offered in Europe would be fun. My budget wouldn't support carbon fiber ones...geez, can't imagine how much those would cost.

If I can live with the performance I intend to leave mine stock. It's going to be hard with everything I've been driving for the last few years being along the order of 6 sec. 0-60 times. Not blindingly fast, but certainly quicker than the stock Smart.

·
Registered
46 Posts
I'm not that excited about the new body style, if early style body panels were offered for the new car, I would like that...I would at the very least like to change the panels on the rear-end...:)

Shane...

·
Admin emeritus
3,974 Posts
I'm not that excited about the new body style, if early style body panels were offered for the new car, I would like that...I would at the very least like to change the panels on the rear-end...:)

Shane...
What do you mean by early styled body panels.... are you not a fan of the new contour lines?

·
Registered
8 Posts
The modifications I would like to see are some of the things Brabus does for the European versions, including revving up the HP. There are several Brabus body modifications available also and those can be found on the internet.

·
Registered
46 Posts
What do you mean by early styled body panels.... are you not a fan of the new contour lines?

SMART,
When I refer to "early styled panels", I'm talking about the body styles prior to the US smartcar release in 08'...

The fenders on the early style are rounded, the 08' style is more angular...

If the early panels would fit the 08' model, I would use them...

It's not the most important thing, but I think it would be cool if we had an option on both styles...

My dream would be to somewhere in the future buy a legal US diesel smartcar with something close to that early body style...

I hope I cleared this up for you, I hope I made sense, Although I'm a little delirious with a fever at the moment...

back to bed with plenty of liquids...:eek:

Shane...

·
Registered
3 Posts
Performance Upgrades Will Be Available

For Ten Years I Have Designed, Produced And Sold Oem Performance Upgrades For Various Vehicles.
I Have Provided My Services For Harley Davidson, Honda, Polaris And Now Personally Manufacture Extremely High Quality Exhaust, Turbo, Header And Air/fuel Intake Systems For Numerous High Performance Vehicles Produced By The Big Three U.s. Automakers.

My Systems Typically Produce Substantial Horsepower Gains And/or Fuel Efficiency, Depeding On Which Is Desired By The Vehicle Owner.

I Am Interested In Determining If There Is An Interest Among Smartcar Owners For Performance Exhaust Systems, Header Systems, Turbo Systems Or Cold Air Intake Systems.

·
Registered
465 Posts
A cold air intake would interest me.

As for performance parts that will sacrifice my mileage, I'd rather spend that money on my TT.

But, don't use me as the measure of this group. In think the younger members here want to make whatever they drive go fast. Been there, done that, still do it - but with a car that is already fast.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Another Option Would Be A Smart Looking Stainless Steel Catback That Would Produce A Unique Performance Sound Without Changing Or Losing Economy. Also Unique And Custom Exhaust Tips Would Be Available In Hand Mirror Polished Stainless Steel.

·
Registered
136 Posts
We have already made and tested the sports exhaust in the UK.
A cold air system is going through final testing as we speak.
Better air filters are ready on the shelf along with bigger turbos,6pot callipers,adjustable suspension and bigger intercoolers.
Everything you could possible need is already here.
Photos to follow.
Ian

·
Registered
3 Posts
Quality

Also Since Such Small Diameters And Flow Volumes Are Involved In The Smartcar. It Is Absolutely A Must That The Cold Air Systems, Headers And Exhaust Be Mandrel Bent. Any Restrictions Created By The Antiquated Pressure Bent Systems Will Leave The Typical Disruptions In Air Flow.

I Use Only 304l Stainlees Steel And Cnc Mandrel Benders And Cnc Laser Cutters.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.