Smart Car of America Forum banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
70 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello!
My battery officially died for good, and I need to get a new one.
I have two options.
Either use my AAA card and pay $160 for a battery (w/ 2 year warranty) and AAA brings and installs it for me.
OR
I can buy the battery myself and install it, even though I'd have to depend on YouTube tutorials, cause I have zero car knowledge on how to do this.
My question is basically if it would be worth it for AAA to do it? Or would it be much cheaper if I bought it and installed it myself? All the Smart Car batteries I see for sale online, are like $250 and that doesn't seem right? What brand do you use?

INFO: My Smart is a 2013. Non Electric.

·
Super Moderator
MY08 cabrio MY09 cabrio Brabus MY15 ED
7,911 Posts
What about the Everstart MAXX-H5 from Walmart?

That would fit, correct?
smart 451?

Is it a Group Size 47 (Description says "Group size H5") VENTED battery?

Don't think I'd go there???

·
Registered
70 Posts
Discussion Starter #5

·
Super Moderator
7,911 Posts
H5 Length 9.50 Width 6.90 x Height 7.50

OEM H47 Length 9.6875 Width 6.875 Height 7.50

You would likely be fine, the dimensions are not exactly the same and the battery well is a snug fit and may prove challenging?

·
Registered
70 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
H5 Length 9.50 Width 6.90 x Height 7.50

OEM H47 Length 9.6875 Width 6.875 Height 7.50

You would likely be fine, the dimensions are not exactly the same and the battery well is a snug fit and may prove challenging?
Gotcha! Someone on this forum recommended using a ACDelco Professional LN1PS battery before, but I could not find that battery anywhere online or in store.

Its crazy how hard it is to find damn batteries for this car. I just looked at the AAA battery service again, and they don't even offer them anymore, when I could have sworn they did, hence by the text of my original post, using that as an option.

Even the original Smart batteries that came with the car are discontinued.

·
Registered
2009 451 Rally Red, Pennzoil Platinum Euro 5W-40, Wix XP 51356, 185/55R15 tires, 44 psl
1,038 Posts
I have had good luck with the AutoZone Duralast Golds.

https://www.autozone.com/batteries-...ery/duralast-gold-battery/832330_166886_25698

Another good economy choice is Advanced Auto, look on Retail me not dot com for discount codes, up to 40%....

https://shop.advanceautoparts.com/w...&campmedium=mrkcontent&campcontent=qualespot2

Battery is in the passenger footwell, and not easy to get out. Heavy and awkward.

Disconnect the negative first, then the positive.

Put some F4 or electrical tape or some split loom tubing around the wires while your down there.

When you reconnect the overboard vent, look carefully at the other side.

There was a vent hole on the opposite side on mine, and no plug.

Use the plug from the old battery to cork the unused vent hole.

·
Registered
221 Posts
A couple of years ago, when my battery started dying as a result of me using the multi-hybrid drive system that the 451 came with here with the lights and/or AC on, I also had to look for another battery. I ended up getting a Duracell with a two year warranty at about a third of the dealer price for their offering with an 18 month warranty. I also thought it was sort of fitting, because a car that looks like a toy should have a toy's battery, right!? :D

·
Registered
9 Posts
battery for 453

I have a 2016 (non electric) Prime with 50 K + miles and I was told today that the battery had failed a Midtronics test. It was suggested that I should start to think about replacing the battery. Would that also be the same battery that is in a 451?:shrug:

·
Super Moderator
7,911 Posts
I have a 2016 (non electric) Prime with 50 K + miles and I was told today that the battery had failed a Midtronics test.
Even though you are beyond 50K, if you bought it new from a local smart Center might want to roll by and see if they have any "smart love" in their budget for a battery replacement??? :shrug:

·
Registered
2009 451 Rally Red, Pennzoil Platinum Euro 5W-40, Wix XP 51356, 185/55R15 tires, 44 psl
1,038 Posts
I always go to the back of the shelf in AutoZone, and get the freshest battery.

AGM (Advanced glass Mat) batteries are not worth the cost, old lead acid works for me...

1 - 20 of 22 Posts