Smart Car of America Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
2009 451 Rally Red, Pennzoil Platinum Euro 5W-40, Wix XP 51356, 185/55R15 tires, 44 psl
1,033 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Getting tired of all the dust and sponginess of my brakes.

Going to replace them, but I am not sure what type of pad should I use.

Four basic choices
O'Reilly Auto Parts ceramic (they also have a semi metallic)
EBC Blackstuff
EBC Greenstuff
or
EBC Redstuff

I do some major city stop and go, with a little highway here and there.

Many thanks for all your suggestions, the Ladybug needs some new shoes...:)

·
He's not mine
9,617 Posts
I've had the Redstuff pad for a couple years now (approx.)
No problems to report. They still generate some dust, but nowhere near as much as the original pads did. Although, they do when you're breaking them in.

·
Premium Member
11,309 Posts
Ceramics. The dust is a white powder that fals off when you drive. Great heat resistance during extreme braking (which probably won't happen in a smart) Used them on my Expedition and was pulling trailers.

·
To the XCAPEPOD!
6,112 Posts
I've been running the Greenstuff for a couple weeks now. They work great, but they are still breaking in and generating some dust. They are also squeaking a bit, but that's getting better also.

·
Registered
7,563 Posts
It been a couple days now with my EBC green stuff. Couple hundred miles. No more squealing brakes, and the highway pad singing. That drove me crazy for the last 2 years. There is dust from the break in period. Noticed my rotors, are really shiney. Our service manage, has them on all 3 of his cars. He highly recommends the green stuff pads. Got the last pair from smartmadness. Everyone seems to be sold out of them.

·
Registered
4,330 Posts
I've had the EBC blacks on mine for a little over 2 years. I don't recommend them. They dust almost as bad as stock, and mine have a bad tendency to squeal if I apply light brake pressure. If I brake more aggressively, they don't make a sound.

I may give the O'reilly ceramics a try soon.

·
Registered
7,563 Posts
I've had the EBC blacks on mine for a little over 2 years. I don't recommend them. They dust almost as bad as stock, and mine have a bad tendency to squeal if I apply light brake pressure. If I brake more aggressively, they don't make a sound.

I may give the O'reilly ceramics a try soon.

I think the EBC blacks, are almost the same as the OEM Bosch. My OEM's squealed like little piggies.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts