Smart Car of America Forum banner

1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
A while back I posted about selling a 2008 Fortwo flood car. Everybody on here thought my car was fishy and I never got any offers and then my thread was closed by the man. Well after lots of procrastination I have decided to partner with my neighbor and repair the car. We are starting with the ECU's or similar that were under the water line of the flood. That being said we need to identify which two boxes are located under the drivers seat. Thanks for bearing with me on this project. We will bring this car back to life...with some good help.

·
Premium Member
5,763 Posts
http://somesmart.info/reference/2008fortwotech.pdf
This is probably the most helpful diagram this side of a maintenance manual you will find published by smart.
There is a diagram showing the location of most components. One of the things shown located under the driver's seat is the transmission control unit.
If you have the alarm system, the ultrasonic module and sensors live under the central housing that covers the brake lever and shifter mechanism.
I hope this helps.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
We gave up. We never worked on the car to diagnose the electrical problem. It is currently on ebay. I know I am not supposed to put links here but if you go to ebay you can find it for sale. It is the white 2008. It includes pictures and a video of the car attempting to start.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Our 2009 smart car a fourtwo does almost the same thing. When the car has been running for 5-10 min. there a load noise that come from under the floor at the driver seat. It will make this noise for up to 10 min and than go away till to restate the car again.there no codes either do you know what under the floor panel under the driver seat?
Thank you
John

·
Registered
889 Posts
Our 2009 smart car a fourtwo does almost the same thing. When the car has been running for 5-10 min. there a load noise that come from under the floor at the driver seat. It will make this noise for up to 10 min and than go away till to restate the car again.there no codes either do you know what under the floor panel under the driver seat?
Thank you
John
PM sent
Check subwoofer

·
Registered
10 Posts
I think it the tran computer under the seat. It sound like a squirrel cage with a rock or something in it almost. I going to remove the bottom of the car and look to see what in the sub floor.

·
Registered
889 Posts
I think it the tran computer under the seat. It sound like a squirrel cage with a rock or something in it almost. I going to remove the bottom of the car and look to see what in the sub floor.
Why go through all the trouble of removing the bottom of the car without trying to unplug the subwoofer first ?
Unplugging the subwoofer takes 60 to 90 seconds. If it doesn't solve the problem, plug it back in, you will have wasted less than 5 minutes.

·
King of Smart Gadgetry
1,075 Posts
There's a few things under the floor of your Fortwo in the seat area. Charcol cannister for gas tank venting and ABS brake module and master cylinder. Here is a couple of blurry pics(I had a crappy camera at the time) taken under the car from the rear facing forward. It's dirty under there and it took a while to get it all cleaned up so it could get dirty again. DCO

·
King of Smart Gadgetry
1,075 Posts
Thank you Jo E Lefors for that helpful picture. There have been so many people in the past have a faulty Subwoofer under the seat and not know what to do. I tried to describe the best way to unhook it, but since mine doesn't have a sub I couldn't provide a picture. You solved the mystery and I'm sure there will be many more people need to see that picture in the future. DCO.

1 - 20 of 25 Posts