Smart Car of America Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

Registered
Could that be tranny fluid, looks kind of red in color.
Check the level, make sure its serviced correctly.
Best way to figure this out... clean the motor with gunk, and rinse.
After cleaning, drive the car and keep checking... but first....
Check all fluid levels... oil, tranny fluid and coolant.
Great pics by the way....

Registered
Discussion Starter #4
Could that be tranny fluid, looks kind of red in color.
Check the level, make sure its serviced correctly.
Best way to figure this out... clean the motor with gunk, and rinse.
After cleaning, drive the car and keep checking... but first....
Check all fluid levels... oil, tranny fluid and coolant.
Great pics by the way....
The coolant is low Nd I haven鈥檛 checked the transmission yet Nd the oil is still full I just did an oil change 2500 miles ago

Registered
Discussion Starter #5
T
One rule of thumb with a leak is to look up and forward of the leak. Check the valve cover gasket. I think they have top stop bolts. Lastly and this may sound odd. What is the o ring on the filter like?
the o ring to the oil filter? Or? I鈥檓 sorry I鈥檓 learning as I go with this car

10Year+ Supporting Member
On the top of the oil filter, the open end, there is a rubber oil ring that helps prevents leaks. It is approximately 1/4" wide and near the edge of the filter. When installing a new oil filter, most mechanics first fill the oil filter, and then rub a thin coat of oil on the gasket. This gives a better seal when tightened properly.
Have you had the car serviced recently? Maybe the mechanic did not tighten the filter to the proper specs, left the rubber gasket dry, etc.
If it were my car, I would take the advice of cleaning off the leaked oil, check for tightness on the oil pan bolts, make sure the oil filter is tight, top up fluids, and then drive the car as you normally do, but look under the car every day or two for new leaks. If it runs clean for several days, you have probably found your problem. If not, it's time to see a proper repair facility. Good luck.
P.S. If you park in the same spot every day, put a clean piece of cardboard under the rear of the car. It will make it easier to spot new leaks.

Registered
Discussion Starter #8
I checked the tightness on the oil filter I just had did the oil change 2900 miles ago. And idk if u can see the oil filter is clean Nd doesn鈥檛 leak neither on the draining blots on the oil pan. And check fluids on the oil and it鈥檚 still full.

Registered
Discussion Starter #9
On the top of the oil filter, the open end, there is a rubber oil ring that helps prevents leaks. It is approximately 1/4" wide and near the edge of the filter. When installing a new oil filter, most mechanics first fill the oil filter, and then rub a thin coat of oil on the gasket. This gives a better seal when tightened properly.
Have you had the car serviced recently? Maybe the mechanic did not tighten the filter to the proper specs, left the rubber gasket dry, etc.
If it were my car, I would take the advice of cleaning off the leaked oil, check for tightness on the oil pan bolts, make sure the oil filter is tight, top up fluids, and then drive the car as you normally do, but look under the car every day or two for new leaks. If it runs clean for several days, you have probably found your problem. If not, it's time to see a proper repair facility. Good luck.
P.S. If you park in the same spot every day, put a clean piece of cardboard under the rear of the car. It will make it easier to spot new leaks.
When I did the oil change I did put oil in the filter Nd some around the top before I put it back on Nd then filled it up.

Registered
Again, degrease the motor, and drive it. There is a vent on the top of the tranny, near the gear shift motors... if that is missing, you could be loosing tranny fluid.

Registered
If you/whomever overtightened the oil filter when installed - it could crush the gasket (it's not an o'ring by the way) creating your leak. That said. I don't think it's a valve cover gasket. That doesn't start leaking just overnight. My guess is it's a rear main oil seal.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts