Smart Car of America Forum banner

3741 - 3760 of 4082 Posts

·
Registered
729 Posts
Today I replaced the brake pads and brake fluid. My turbo 451 is with 40,000km and the pads were still stock. They had less than 2mm left on the wear groove.

BTW Johanness, that exhaust sounds awesome! Where did you get it and how much $$$$?

I bought it used off of the forums. It was sold to me as a solo center exit, but boeschbuilt chimes in saying it looked like one of his exhausts. The rear valance i bought on eBay. It’s a Chinese knockoff of the European brabus rear valance for the 2013+ facelift smart.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
729 Posts
Nah.... to me it looks more like the BMW driver doing what BMW drivers typically do (not STOPPING and LOOKING when coming to a stop sign) is what didn't help.

You called it. He even flipped me off and cussed at me. That’s why I cut the rest of the clip, I yelled back and wanted to keep it clean. Lol.

·
Registered
585 Posts
Nah.... to me it looks more like the BMW driver doing what BMW drivers typically do (not STOPPING and LOOKING when coming to a stop sign) is what didn't help.

You called it. He even flipped me off and cussed at me. That’s why I cut the rest of the clip, I yelled back and wanted to keep it clean. Lol.

I employ the same stragity when driving our Smart’s as when on the motorbike . If figure “they don’t see me “ nevertheless, there are plenty of idiots who obtain a drivers license without proving competence.

·
Registered
1,157 Posts
Basically have to be a defensive driver in a Smart, because people don't take the car seriously. They think it's slow.... that it can't move out of it's own way if it wanted to. That's why i also tend to try to prove people wrong about that. >:D

Really can't wait to hear what my car sounds like after Friday. Can't decide if i want to see if the shop could do a dual exit exhaust, and have one side drop down from the right side of the car, and extend another part over to the left like a lot of cars do (like my previous PoS Dodge Dart).... or keep a more sleeper-y look and just have it go across the back and exit out on the left side of the car where the factory exhaust on the 453 does. Any thoughts/input/opinions?

·
Registered
19 Posts
I installed a number "3" on the rear of Max in a discrete place. When people pull up behind me they will know what they are dealing with. It's not an Earnhardt 3, it's a "3" for 3 cylinder. There's a reason why MB turned the tailpipe pointing down towards the ground on the Fortwo. It's so the Fortwo's tailpipe wouldn't suck up an unsuspecting SUV that happens to pull a little to close to the rear at the stoplight. See if you can spot the number "3" in the picture.(Excuse my dirty car in the pic, it's been my daily driver for a few weeks).

I also got tired of losing the hold down screw for the engine cover. Mine no longer stays in the hole of the cover like it's supposed to and I have lost it numerous times. So I got me a couple of key rings and a couple short sections of chain and secured it. One end is secured to the little metal flap that you tuck the carpet under by the tailgate, there's 2 holes in the metal flap so take your pick. The other end is the key and if it choses to fall down in the engine compartment, I can fish it back to safety with the chain.

It's so simple, but then again so am I. DCO
That's a great idea! I may go down to the local hardware store and get a little bit of rubber coated steel cable and do this same thing.

·
Registered
151 Posts
Our '16 Passion has had a continuous A/C problem since new.

After 3 terms under warranty at the Phx Smart/Benz dealer, they have replaced the condenser coil, receiver dryer twice, the compressor, and an electronic control module, along with a lot of R-134a.

So far, it is working but this is not the season for a real test, especially out here.

S u b R o s a

·
Registered
2 Posts
Finally opened the fuse panel in the glove box and changed the fuse for the 12V outlet. Whomever decided to put it there should be slapped.

·
Registered
585 Posts
Finally got to changing out the plugs on the 451 . Fairly easy service , although patients is needed for the bolt holding the coil pack on the right side . The old spark plugs looked real good , and all had a nice healthy motor color , only thing that surprised me was the 0.060 GAP on the old plugs . That’s a long way from the factory 0.035 Gap !!! Buttoned up the project and was pleased to have a happy running motor .. what a difference .

·
Registered
585 Posts
After the spark plug change , thought I’d check out the battery box and condition of the enclosure.. easy to access for sure , I found a very clean box and about 15 acorns stuffed in the space towards the front of the battery . Odd how they got there , and they were there for awhile , since the acorns are from a species we don’t have around here !! Cleaned them out and checked my grounds . Pleased to say the area looked sparkly clean and no corrosion anywhere .

·
Registered
3 Posts
Bought my first one. A 2010 Passion. I am 6'5 and 380lbs, and while it is snug (think of a bear on a trike at the circus) it was fun to bomb around in. Monday I will detail it top to bottom.

·
Registered
1,157 Posts
Well... i did something new with my 453 last night. I was watching in disbelief how much my car was struggling to get up to the usual running temperature on my drive home last night. Took 20+ minutes of driving. Even after 10 minutes, the gauge wasn't even out of the blue. And if i was stopped at a stop light, i could actually watch the temperature drop a little. But i guess that's what a single-digit windy day will do to a 3-cylinder.... when just running the engine isn't enough to keep it warm. lol

·
Registered
28 Posts
Weird

Well... i did something new with my 453 last night. I was watching in disbelief how much my car was struggling to get up to the usual running temperature on my drive home last night. Took 20+ minutes of driving. Even after 10 minutes, the gauge wasn't even out of the blue. And if i was stopped at a stop light, i could actually watch the temperature drop a little. But i guess that's what a single-digit windy day will do to a 3-cylinder.... when just running the engine isn't enough to keep it warm. lol
That's really strange because I've been driving my little 451 in sub 0f temperatures since last week and it's also been quite windy and after 10-15 mins, I'm getting toasty. Yesterday morning was -6f and -27f with the wind so I'm surprised that a newer 453 would struggle to warm up and stay warm. Might want to have that looked at... Or is that really the best a 453 can do??? (I would hope not!!!) :eek:

·
Registered
1,157 Posts
That's really strange because I've been driving my little 451 in sub 0f temperatures since last week and it's also been quite windy and after 10-15 mins, I'm getting toasty. Yesterday morning was -6f and -27f with the wind so I'm surprised that a newer 453 would struggle to warm up and stay warm. Might want to have that looked at... Or is that really the best a 453 can do??? (I would hope not!!!) :eek:
I thought it was odd, too. Maybe the sightly different layout of the engine, and the turbocharger being under the engine, was causing MUCH colder air to be run through the intake, too? I mean, it did get warm, it just took a while. Also wasn't really any "highway" driving for those first 20 minutes or so.

Sent from my Pixel 3 XL using Tapatalk

·
Registered
313 Posts

Sounds like your thermostat is stuck open. :(

~toaster

·
Premium Member
2,297 Posts

It may have been your thermostat, but also I would check the front grille flaps at the bottom of the front bumper cover. They automatically open and close to assist with heating and cooling, and it is possible some snow or ice got wedged in there and prevented the flaps from moving in their usual fashion. These 453's have lots of the same technology used in the higher end MB's. I'm going with more of the front grille active shutters being jammed open in the freezing cold, over a failing new thermostat.

·
17,379 Posts
So I've doubled down on my motorcycle collecting/flipping habits and have decided to turn it into a legit side business called "Misty Motor Collection". One day I hope to have a hybrid motorcycle museum/motorcycle shop inspired by the Volo Auto Museum here in Illinois.

Anyway, another motorcycle followed me home, upping my bike count to six!

It's a 1992 Suzuki GSX1100G. Think 90s "Hayabusa", but in a standard frame.

I was able to get it unloaded in the snow and replaced it with my Honda Helix clone, which went into storage the next day. (the pickup in that last picture is jumpstarting the front loader, not me)

Meanwhile, as an update to my situation with my 453: It looks like I'll be lucky enough to just pay MBFS off, so that's the route I'll take.

3741 - 3760 of 4082 Posts