Smart Car of America Forum banner

4001 - 4020 of 4073 Posts

·
Registered
232 Posts
The nice thing about the 451s headlights are both h7s. I used to get flashy things all the time. The ZXE from Sylvania are ridiculous.

·
Registered
1,429 Posts
I changed the low beam headlights in my Smart last night. Pretty easy to do. The driver side was burned out so I replaced them as a pair so the colors match. I went with the Sylvania Silver Star Halogen bulbs. Part #H7ST /2BP at O'Reillys.

It's nice to see in the dark again!
The Silver Star and Silver Star Ultra are good bulbs. I have used them in all my vehicles, including cycles and scooters, for years. Early on some of those made elsewhere reportedly did suffer early failure but those from Germany do not. I’ve never had an issue. The Ultra is the brighter of the two versions.

·
Registered
374 Posts
:D The shop that painted it: told me that they used an entire box of crayons, in order to get the color just right... 0:)
But they all dug the car, and a couple of them said that they're going to start looking for them.

·
Registered
746 Posts
Today I took out the Brabus wheels off Cheewawa and replaced them with the Blizzak/Rial combo. In the process, the sideskirts busted out of the pins. I took the skirts off to find 6 of the 10 pins broken in some manner. Now I am looking to get replacement pins...

·
Registered
384 Posts
Oh, never mind. I looked at Evilution and they show how to do bulbs. You don't even need a membership. Silly me!

My driver's side low beam was burned out so I replaced both sides with a pair of Sylvania Silver Star Ultra H7. Nice bright lights! Pretty easy to replace.

But... at first, I had removed the rubber cover for the high beam (by mistake) and didn't recognize the expected configuration. Soon realized my mistake and got to the correct rubber cover. 0:)

Has anyone ever replaced the high beam? I couldn't figure out how to remove the bulb. I hope not to have to replace the high beam but thought I would ask.

Yes, I did search the forum but didn't find any reference to the high beam.

Also, I searched Google "how to replace Smart 451 high beam" with no hits. Low beam only.

There is always Evilution...
:)

·
Registered
374 Posts

Attachments

·
Registered
920 Posts
Went over 20k miles in our 2015 ED that we got in June 2017 with 10 miles on it. We love the smart more with every passing mile. Battery degradation appears to be around 1.5% and hasn't changed in the last 10k miles. Still on the OEM tires despite lots of fast cornering, though the fronts have hardened from age and starting to lose their grip in the wet - probably the rears too but much more noticeable up front due to the understeer.

Considering spending $1400 for a 25% power boost!

·
Registered
71 Posts
Changed the oil and didn't know about the brass washer on the drain plug! Guess I'll keep an eye out for leaks!

Oh yeah, the one of my darn ramps broke so the car fell an inch or two as I rolled off them. Glad it didn't happen when I was still under it!

·
Registered
1,429 Posts
If you reused the washer don’t be overly concerned. With proper torque most of those can safely be reused - even more than once. Keep an eye on it but I seriously doubt you will see a leak.

·
Registered
232 Posts
If you change the oil on a 453 watch the giant o-ring. I've a puddle under Minimus and it's not from the drainplug. I also modified a 3\8" socket adapter... ...better than playing for expensive European plug socket.

·
Registered
90 Posts
I drove mine up the mountain roads and had a blast!
I posted a video on my YouTube channel, see how fast an Electric Smart goes!!!

YouTube search Handy Dan and look for the bald guy in sunglasses
or here's a link

·
Registered
1,157 Posts
4001 - 4020 of 4073 Posts