Smart Car of America Forum banner

4081 - 4100 of 4194 Posts

·
Registered
316 Posts
I can see your point regarding taking the outer skin off as you have another job to do where you need access to the innards of the door. Personally I didn’t want to cut the water barrier to install a speaker that is the reason what I chose to install them from inside. Also if I blew a speaker it’s simply removing four screws, and the speaker is out.
Im guessing you have the OEM Sub under your seat? Im satisfied with it as I don’t listen to music that is bass heavy.
I’m not looking forward to breaching the water barrier either, but it’s a necessary evil to service the door innards. If I didn’t have to fix the door, I would be using the “brute force” method of prying the speaker grill off. I’ll mount it from the front so I can replace it should it be necessary, but I hope it never becomes necessary.

Yes, I have the OEM subwoofer and am pleased with the performance.

·
Registered
158 Posts
I’m not looking forward to breaching the water barrier either, but it’s a necessary evil to service the door innards. If I didn’t have to fix the door, I would be using the “brute force” method of prying the speaker grill off. I’ll mount it from the front so I can replace it should it be necessary, but I hope it never becomes necessary.

Yes, I have the OEM subwoofer and am pleased with the performance.
I have to admit the brute force method was so satisfying, especially when holding that tiny magnet from the OEM speaker in my hands. It’s like a toy compared to the Polk’s lol
If May suggest when you go to repair the water barrier, use Tyvek tape, it’s impervious to moisture and sticks like no ones business.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Tempomat 2+2, misterdotcom, not sure about it yet. Might be an issue of programming it. Glitchy, so I will have to see about it. It's a total plug and play system, vet easy to install. I looked a the area 451 set up and it seems very complicated, but might be less glitchy.
I'm interested!

·
Registered
290 Posts
Bought a set of brakes for Minimus. The rears for $27 at Big Wheel... ...the fronts $97 at MB of Rochester MN. I asked the service advisor how low they're to sell Smart parts...
..2yrs was the reply. I'll see how much heartache over the surgery on the brakes and post the successes and difficulties.

·
Registered
224 Posts
Several reasons why I chose them one of which was the installation depth requirements. The front you have plenty of room, but in the rear Where I’m going to install the second set there is only an inch of room behind the tridium frame so I’m going to use a 1 inch spacer for the remaining depth required. Also they are marine rated so not to worry about the speaker getting wet when the door is opened in the rain.
BTW they sound great as well.
I’ll post up when I install the second set.
Good luck with your installation.
Paula
What model are your speakers? I'm considering upgrading, but understand there are some depth issues.

·
Registered
224 Posts
Had new rear tires installed on my Brabus today. Driver side had a cut in it near bead, missed by dealer, which would prevent it from passing VA state inspection. Finally got them to agree to replace both rear tires. Going to have the front ones replaced next week. All-new rubber all around then. Six years seems to be a generally agreed upon lifespan for a tire.

8874299A-81D8-420A-B96F-7D3D0256F1F0.jpeg
6018ED7D-D068-4C52-A858-42A57B60006B.jpeg

·
Registered
24 Posts
Here is the CarPlay unit I got. Pretty pleased with it for now
B54334D9-77FE-45AE-B64C-D7D06AA05C45.jpeg EA89C251-42A9-48F5-802B-C093B6FC5DC2.jpeg
Side note, my under seat sub has always made horrible fart noises so I have to unplug it. Anyone have upgraded theirs recently? I’m thinking of upgrading speakers/sub next but would like to keep the sub underneath the seat

·
Registered
290 Posts
Hauled 4ea. 40lbs bags of water softener rocks to new house. Previous owner had 2 icebergs in front of the lean-to and the garage. I almost hung up Minimus on said iceberg. Much chopping with my new neighbors ice spud I negotiated an 85% firing solution. Yay me!

·
Registered
224 Posts
Two oil/filter changes, and took off snow tires from one Smart. Anyone know why the drain plug has a mesh filter? If I have to worry about filtering out particles that size, I would think that I would have bigger problems.

·
Registered
290 Posts
Just put new brakes in the front of Minimus Prime. Right side had the tab to make noise broken off. Literally had 1\32" of lining on the passenger side. Couldn't believe how the hardware came loose.

·
Registered
316 Posts
Picked up a huge nail that was discovered when I took my smart in for balance and rotation. Decided there was enough wear to warrant replacing all 4 tires, although there is a good amount of tread left. Saved the best tire, and ordered a TPS sensor to mount on my spare OEM rims. I’ll have that done tomorrow.

·
Registered
290 Posts
Was going to change the rear brakes after switching out the fronts yesterday. Got the rim off... ...then the 17mm spacer from Smart Anger, and finally the drum. Brakes look identical to the new ones. Reassembled and test beat to ensure work done corre ctly. Saving brakes for a rainy day... ...$23 from O'Shanessy.

·
Registered
59 Posts
De-carbonized, changed oil+filter, replaced the center motor mount and greased the clutch actuator and calibrated the clutch...

4081 - 4100 of 4194 Posts