Smart Car of America Forum banner

4101 - 4120 of 4212 Posts

·
Registered
320 Posts

·
Registered
318 Posts
Gas is down to $1.53\Gal. I almost want to throw my gas cans in the back of Minimus for a rainy day. Eventually the price will go up. I wonder if they take TP or bartering? I heard distilleries are making hand sanitizer.... ....yay Evan Williams!

·
Registered
59 Posts
How often do you grease the actuator? Any complications doing so? I’ve got 6k, 11k, and 44k on mine, but the 44k had a new actuator installed by the previous owner around 40k.
Maybe every 2 years (now 151xxx miles) - not a huge deal... Mark where the 3 fasteners are. Unplug the connector and unscrew (disconnect the BAT before). Don't use brake cleaner or any chemicals to clean the inside - it will destroy the plastic gear inside. I had to go 2 notches farther out with the clutch actuator to have better clutch grip and did a reteaching for the shift/clutch system. It is shifting so much better now.

·
Registered
320 Posts
Maybe every 2 years (now 151xxx miles) - not a huge deal... Mark where the 3 fasteners are. Unplug the connector and unscrew (disconnect the BAT before). Don't use brake cleaner or any chemicals to clean the inside - it will destroy the plastic gear inside. I had to go 2 notches farther out with the clutch actuator to have better clutch grip and did a reteaching for the shift/clutch system. It is shifting so much better now.
So I’ve seen several references to retraining the shift/clutch system. Usually after a failure of some sort. Does it gradually adapt over time, regardless? I have no idea of what the driving patterns of the previous owners were. Worthwhile retraining them to my style of driving, or will they eventually adapt to it?

·
Registered
59 Posts
Cleaned and oiled my K&N air-filter after 2 years - this thing was dirty...

Restored my headlights with the 3M restoration kit and I am very impressed with the result:

Before:

After:

Before:

After:

·
Registered
320 Posts

·
Registered
59 Posts
I was looking at restoration kits today. My 09 is getting some fade. Your results are very impressive. How long to do the lights?
1- 1.5 hours. You basically sanding first with 500 grit, then 800 grit and finally 3000 grit. In the end you are polishing it with a special paste...
It is recommended that you put a sealer on it like the Meguiar's G17804 Keep Clear Headlight Coating.

The 3M set works great.

·
Registered
59 Posts
So I’ve seen several references to retraining the shift/clutch system. Usually after a failure of some sort. Does it gradually adapt over time, regardless? I have no idea of what the driving patterns of the previous owners were. Worthwhile retraining them to my style of driving, or will they eventually adapt to it?
I don't think it has anything to do with driving style, but with clutch wear. If the clutch wears you have to adjust mechanically the clutch actuator or reteach the SAM. Best is both...

Look here for more info:
Clutch Adjustments

·
Registered
320 Posts
1- 1.5 hours. You basically sanding first with 500 grit, then 800 grit and finally 3000 grit. In the end you are polishing it with a special paste...
It is recommended that you put a sealer on it like the Meguiar's G17804 Keep Clear Headlight Coating.

The 3M set works great.
I remember when headlights were glass bulbs. Only issues then were if they burned out or broke. And you had all of 4 choices: Big round or small rounds, big rectangle or small rectangles. Now you’ve got to maintain yet another component the manufacturers were too cheap to make properly. Like the license plate lights on the Smart. They have a gasket around them. Well, apparently after 10 years, they disintegrate. And they don’t appear to be a separate item for replacement.

·
Registered
5,192 Posts
I haven't been here for a while. I've done quite a bit to my smart 453. New tires slighter larger, Falken 185/55R16 front and 205/50R16 rear. Speedo is now only 2 mph fast. Boost gauge on dash next to tach. Exhaust from UK, $500 was the cheapest I could find. Dual center exit. {problem was there are no baffles inside. I made my own that slip in the exits and tack welded them into place. Stereo still going strong. Lots of trim pieces. Found side scoop by Mann directly from Mann for almost half of what Smart Madness charges. Lowering springs I got used on Ebay. Blow off valve to accompany the exhaust.

·
Registered
318 Posts
That's wonderful! Keep up the good work. I saw a local restaurant in Marina has a fleet of Smarties just for that purpose. MB dealer in Minnesota said parts for 2yrs and then the kobosh. Brakes were 75 bucks for the fronts there.

·
Registered
320 Posts
Changed out the bulbs in the side turn signals. What a pain getting those things out. Went from incandescent bulbs to standard Sylvania LEDs. Quite a difference.

·
Registered
318 Posts
You are not going to believe this... I was at Wallyworld get TP and goods for the Wuhan Flu and a gentleman thought I stole his car. I whipped back around and chewed the fat about our identical year, trim and color of Smarties... ...even bought at same dealer!

·
Registered
320 Posts
You are not going to believe this... I was at Wallyworld get TP and goods for the Wuhan Flu and a gentleman thought I stole his car. I whipped back around and chewed the fat about our identical year, trim and color of Smarties... ...even bought at same dealer!
I like the term “Kung Flu”.

·
Registered
59 Posts
Replaced the passenger side motor mount... Eliminated all prior vibrations!
3 bolts are E12 star and the 2 bolts at the frame are M16

You can buy all 3 motor mounts for around 89 - 99 usd total at ebay.

4101 - 4120 of 4212 Posts