Smart Car of America Forum banner

4121 - 4140 of 4195 Posts

·
Registered
1,174 Posts
Replaced the passenger side motor mount... Eliminated all prior vibrations!
3 bolts are E12 star and the 2 bolts at the frame are M16.
Damn. That defeats my prior joke about practically being able to dismantle an entire ForTwo with a T-25 torx head. Haha.

It is surprising, though. Even on a 453... If you see a torx head bolt, it's more than likely T-25.

Sent from my Pixel 3 XL using Tapatalk

·
Registered
293 Posts
Was getting TP and supplies. Gentleman was frantically waving... ...he thought I was stealing his car! Minimus and this dude's car are the same year, same trim and same dealership, oh and the same color scheme too!

Attachments

·
Registered
59 Posts
O.K. replaced the driver side motor mount. The old one fall apart when I took it out... I would recommend every Smart 451 with 150xxx miles to replace all
3 motor mounts.

This side was more complicated. I had it much easier since I have not the air filter resonator in place... 3 fasteners are E18 star and the
fasteners on the frame are 2 x M16. You need a car jack - and you have to remove the air filter box 2 x T 30 torx head screws.
The disconnecting and connecting of the airbox tube to the outside cold air vent is no fun at all and the airbox is quite a tight fit out and in.

·
Registered
235 Posts
Thanks for sharing the link. Looks like a simple way to get a few extra hp, and clean up the engine compartment at the same time. One can only imagine the engineering time, effort, and money that went into designing and redesigning the sound resonators. Personally, I don’t mind a bit of engine noise. Good way to tell things are running as they should be.

·
Registered
725 Posts
O.K. replaced the driver side motor mount. The old one fall apart when I took it out... I would recommend every Smart 451 with 150xxx miles to replace all
3 motor mounts.

This side was more complicated. I had it much easier since I have not the air filter resonator in place... 3 fasteners are E18 star and the
fasteners on the frame are 2 x M16. You need a car jack - and you have to remove the air filter box 2 x T 30 torx head screws.
The disconnecting and connecting of the airbox tube to the outside cold air vent is no fun at all and the airbox is quite a tight fit out and in.
Thanks for this post seems very doable with a good bit of effort, and looks live very solid results.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Pretty new here but thought I'd chime in. Like many others, the factory under seat sub needed replacing. I've picked up my Smarty as my around town play toy so keeping it fun yet inexpensive is important to me. I've been doing lots to make it my own but the subwoofer needed some priority. It was driving me nuts.

The factory sub was a 5", dual voice coil and pretty poor quality.
VC #1 +Red, -Black
VC #2 +Yellow, -Blue

I found a 6.5", dual VC Pyle on Amazon for about $17.

The factory enclosure need a bit of cutting to make it fit. The enclosure is vented with a port the sits along side of the speaker opening so the cutting needs to happen off center. There is a contour to the enclosure that leave about a 1/4" gap that needs to be filled. I used an oversize, 1/2" weather stripping, glued in place that made the mounting air tight, firm and sound.

Very tight fit, but it works and no more horrible fluttering. I forgot to take completed pictures and have already reinstalled. ( I didn't plan on sharing as I thought maybe many have already done this)

·
Registered
293 Posts
Operated A\C for the 1st time this season! Ah yes, the familiar smells with such a worthy tasks. Does anybody have a door or window oscillating whence open and cars going 70ish something? That's why I ran the A\C. Also I don't think Minimus had the recall for the window seals performed. Crazy whistling in a cross wind!

·
Registered
235 Posts
The o-ring water seals on the side turn signal lights of my 2009 Passion seem to have disintegrated, allowing moisture in, and peeling the amber off of one of the glass light bulbs. Tried replacing with a plumbing o-ring, but it wasn’t thick enough. Interesting to note the design difference between the earlier 2009 light and the 2015 one. I put LEDs in. They are directional, even though they can plug in either way. Put them in the wrong way and they will not light up.

·
Registered
293 Posts
The advantage you 451 folks have is the high beams and low beams are the same element. On my second Smartie I put in ZXE bulbs in both holes! Talk about flashy thing!

·
Registered
318 Posts
The license are camera is very slick!

Just a word of caution for NY brethren:

Anything that blocks the text “New York,” “The Empire State,” or a portion of the plate numbers or letters can be determined to be in “improperly displayed license plate” and result in a $135 or higher fine brought to you by a visit from a Trooper. I had this happen in a company vehicle with a local dealer’s license plate frame that had been added without permission during routine maintenance. There are literally thousands of license plate frames that are violations waiting to happen. Take them off. Besides, unless you have stock in them dealership, why give them free advertising?

·
Registered
235 Posts
You raise some good points
The license are camera is very slick!

Just a word of caution for NY brethren:

Anything that blocks the text “New York,” “The Empire State,” or a portion of the plate numbers or letters can be determined to be in “improperly displayed license plate” and result in a $135 or higher fine brought to you by a visit from a Trooper. I had this happen in a company vehicle with a local dealer’s license plate frame that had been added without permission during routine maintenance. There are literally thousands of license plate frames that are violations waiting to happen. Take them off. Besides, unless you have stock in them dealership, why give them free advertising?
You raise some good points. I despise the dealer frames myself.

This frame setup is actually upside down. The plate is supposed to drop into the frame, but I found if I put the camera at the top, it blocked the release handle and the plate lights, and would have obscured VIRGINIA. Thankfully Garmin made the unit reversible, and the angle can be adjusted. I like the frame because it gives some rigidity to the otherwise flimsy plate, and, well, frames it. lol

I don’t care for the stupid Virginia is for lovers logo, but it’s part of the standard plate these days. Virginia has hundreds of custom plate designs at this point. It’s kind of ridiculous, but I guess it generates revenue, and if prisoners are stamping the plates out, all the more revenue.

The NY law reminds me of the guy who covered up the Live free or die logo on his New Hampshire plate years ago. He got ticketed. Took it to the Supreme Court and won.

·
Registered
318 Posts
Yeah, some of the laws seem a little contrived and, with no disrespect intended to those who serve and protect, a money grab by some municipalities.

Like you, I’m not a big fan of license plate frames, especially giving big-dollar companies free advertising space on my car, clothes, or shoes.

I completely understand the need for traffic management and law enforcement and I’m a big fan and supporter of all branches of public service - military, police, doctors and nurses, and everything all the way to the great folks at Walmart doing their best to keep our society from running smoothly. Lately, I’ve become increasing disenchanted with politicians on both sides of the aisle. We’ve gotten to the point we’re both sides are so busy screeching at each other that they have forgotten to shut their mouths and open their ears. No one is listening any more. Both sides are pompous, sanctimonious windbags. Neither side is thinking any process all the way through and any idea that comes from the opposition is automatically labeled as “wrong” without consideration. In my opinion, this is the reason ridiculous legislation is running rampant. It’s just sad.

Sorry for the rant. I’ll get off the soap-box now.

·
Registered
235 Posts
Yeah, some of the laws seem a little contrived and, with no disrespect intended to those who serve and protect, a money grab by some municipalities.

Like you, I’m not a big fan of license plate frames, especially giving big-dollar companies free advertising space on my car, clothes, or shoes.

I completely understand the need for traffic management and law enforcement and I’m a big fan and supporter of all branches of public service - military, police, doctors and nurses, and everything all the way to the great folks at Walmart doing their best to keep our society from running smoothly. Lately, I’ve become increasing disenchanted with politicians on both sides of the aisle. We’ve gotten to the point we’re both sides are so busy screeching at each other that they have forgotten to shut their mouths and open their ears. No one is listening any more. Both sides are pompous, sanctimonious windbags. Neither side is thinking any process all the way through and any idea that comes from the opposition is automatically labeled as “wrong” without consideration. In my opinion, this is the reason ridiculous legislation is running rampant. It’s just sad.

Sorry for the rant. I’ll get off the soap-box now.
Enjoyed your rant. I work for Congress, and get to see some of the BS that goes on. Aside from spending another 2 trillion dollars to try and stave off economic disaster, I’m not sure what the 116th Congress has really accomplished. It would be nice to see some moderates come to town. Maybe something could get done then.

4121 - 4140 of 4195 Posts