Smart Car of America Forum banner

4201 - 4210 of 4210 Posts

·
Registered
1,186 Posts
The secret is in the sauce. Add enough Freon to the point where the condenser is freezing up
Well, right now I'm going to need to figure out wtf is wrong with the blower fan/motor in my 453. Went to my car to go to work yesterday afternoon, turned the A/C on, fan started up, and made the entire dashboard vibrate, with a rather small amount of air actually moving.

Sent from my Pixel 3 XL using Tapatalk

·
Registered
1,509 Posts
Something get in the fan and cause it to be off balance? Have had that happen in a car before. Other possibilities - the fan came lose from the motor shaft or a part of it broke off. All speculation and you most likely won’t know until you pull the fan. My 2016 453 was built 5 years ago next month. No fan issues so far at 35k.

·
Registered
1,186 Posts
Turns out it was a mouse nest... Or more nest to be... That was causing my blower issue. So I cleared all that out, replaced the cabin filter, and all is well.

Also just changed the spark plugs in my 453 yesterday. Look kinda bad, but considering they've been going for 85,000 miles... Could have probably been worse.

Sent from my Pixel 3 XL using Tapatalk

·
Registered
313 Posts
Don't you love the ease of the changes on a 453 as opposed to the 451. It's almost like engineers from 2 different companies. Took wife and dog in Minimus to a fireworks display. Boy are things different with the advent of the Wuhan Flu. Ironic where the display came from too!

·
Registered
320 Posts
Switched out my tach/clock cluster on my 09 Passion. It didn’t come with a cluster, so I ordered one. What I got was a Brabus cluster.

I recently came across a non-Brabus cluster, so I switched them. Call me OC...

I find it interesting that the gauges in my 15 Brabus don’t say Brabus on them.

·
Registered
163 Posts
Got 7 of 8 screws that hold the 450 ECU back in and called it good and went for a drive.

I went to oetuning.com on July 4th and they had a 'JULY2020' code up for 25% off their tunes.
I just checked and it was still up today Saturday 7/11.

They have bench flash tunes for 450, 451 and 453 so you have to send your ECU to them.
That's what I did July 4th was get the ECU out.
On the 450, the ECU Is the right side of the airbox and held in with eight T15 screws.
Then there are two plugs where you have to pull out a plastic tab about an inch which releases the plugs from the ECU.
It might be harder to get the ECU out of a 451 or 453 as it's not in the engine bay but 5 of those 8 screws on the 450 ECU had no clearance for hands and a 'thin head' 1/4" drive rachet was needed.

Anyways, I got the ECU out on Saturday and called them Monday to find out what info they needed to do the bench flash.
They just asked about what mods and fuel I used and I replied E0 91 octane ONLY, drop in K&N air filter, 200cpsi cat and brabus muffler.
Tuesday, I overnighted the ECU to CA ($50) to arrive by Noon Wed.
They must of worked on it as soon as it arrived because I got it back on Thursday by Fed Ex!

It was about $240 plus $50 to overnight the ECU to them to get their tune.
From their site:
  • Increased Performance and Drivability
  • Increased Boost Targets
  • Fuel Adjustment
  • Improved Throttle
  • Top Speed Limiter removal
  • Raised Torque Limits
The ECU I sent them was all dirty from being in the engine bay and the ECU came back all clean and with their marketing sticker.
I'm not one to put all those stickers on the outside of the car... 5 HP per sticker right? :) ; so I just put it on the airbox next to the ECU as supposedly I got 25% more horsepower for $240.

The tune definitely woke up the car but I haven't had a chance yet to see if the 80mph speed limiter has been removed.

·
Registered
313 Posts
Drove super Wuhan fast to get to work... ...and wait in Minimus Prime. Calling all sentient Smarties....

4201 - 4210 of 4210 Posts