Smart Car of America Forum banner

4321 - 4340 of 4390 Posts

·
Registered
580 Posts
Are they "legal" where you live? Studs haven't in WI since 1982. The Nitto 450 on the back HAVE to grab on. 50lbs on to of the bonnet cover forces them too!
Virginia allows studs for the winter months. November to March, I believe. The Nokian studs are nothing like the old monster studs. I'll put up some pics.
Took my Chevy sonic and drove 300 miles to buy a whole set of springs and black panels from a 2014 electric drive. Yay! View attachment 65417 View attachment 65418 View attachment 65419 View attachment 65420 View attachment 65421
The rear single red dot springs are ICE springs, I believe, and the front triple blue dot springs are EV. At least that's what I determined when I changed mine over last summer. The EV springs are a bit thicker, to compensate for the extra weight of the batteries. They will give an ICE smart a lift of 1-2 inches. Which is great, because it opens up a wide range of additional tire options. Looks like you got daytime running lights there. They look to be aftermarket.

·
Registered
580 Posts
Closeups of the Nokian Hakkapeliitta 9 and the Bridgestone Blizzak WS80 for comparison. You can see that the Nokian studs are pretty small, but they are not round, and are of two types. They are also not in a uniform pattern, to reduce noise and harmonics.

·
Premium Member
187 Posts
Virginia allows studs for the winter months. November to March, I believe. The Nokian studs are nothing like the old monster studs. I'll put up some pics.

The rear single red dot springs are ICE springs, I believe, and the front triple blue dot springs are EV. At least that's what I determined when I changed mine over last summer. The EV springs are a bit thicker, to compensate for the extra weight of the batteries. They will give an ICE smart a lift of 1-2 inches. Which is great, because it opens up a wide range of additional tire options. Looks like you got daytime running lights there. They look to be aftermarket.
Oh well, for $300 bucks it was a good deal.

·
Registered
580 Posts
Oh well, for $300 bucks it was a good deal.
I'd say! Just thought I'd let you know on the springs. For what it's worth, the front ones are more critical, as there is less room in the front for oversize tires with the standard ICE springs. But it's interesting that an EV would have ICE front springs, unless it was a deliberate effort to lower the front, or unintentional wrong replacement.

·
Premium Member
187 Posts
I'd say! Just thought I'd let you know on the springs. For what it's worth, the front ones are more critical, as there is less room in the front for oversize tires with the standard ICE springs. But it's interesting that an EV would have ICE front springs, unless it was a deliberate effort to lower the front, or unintentional wrong replacement.
I didn't know the front springs of that ev could be ICE springs. In case they are ill get the right ones. I'm gonna try installing them when the weather gets warmer. And thanks for letting me know.

·
Registered
2017 453 Passion ED/EQ
321 Posts
Today i heated my 2 bay garage with the smart car, and didn't worry about CO poisoning.
It snowed about 20" yesterday and my snowblower was acting poorly. After my wife drove to work, I turned on the 453 ED, opened it's doors and windows, turned the heat on full, went inside for some breakfast. After about 1/2 hr, the garage had warmed up to 42 degs from 32 degs, and the car's battery dropped from 85% full to 55%. I wheeled in the snowblower onto a drop cloth, closed the garage door, and took off the snow shields so to get to the carburetor. Eventually I turned off the heat on the car, and put Pandora on the speakers while I swore at the snowblower in relative comfort. Good to know the car behaved well doing its job as a heater and audio system for me while I poked around. Finally discovered the auger cable was stretched too loose, adjusted it and put the blower away til next storm.

·
Registered
580 Posts
Installed a Midland glass mount CB antenna on my 2015 BRABUS this weekend. After considering various options, I opted for the polycarbonate roof panel. The antenna can rotate and is removable so as to not get snagged by car wash rollers (amazing what a mag mount can do to a roof when it's revolving at high speed).

·
Registered
508 Posts
I fondly remember this Montgomery-Wards CB that had the transmit limiter clipped. The unit had so much power dumping that it literally fried itself! Adding a HAM radio antenna put the range way out there.

·
Super Moderator
17,594 Posts
Boss Audio Systems sent me a touchscreen Headunit to review. Haven't gotten too far into it but I dig it. It looks pretty factory-ish. A new radio for Tucker was long overdue. :)

Now to clean up all of the dirt from off-roading!

·
Registered
580 Posts
I fondly remember this Montgomery-Wards CB that had the transmit limiter clipped. The unit had so much power dumping that it literally fried itself! Adding a HAM radio antenna put the range way out there.
I remember way back when illegal boosters were the thing for CB. The unit I got is a Midland convertible model. Can be used as a handheld or as a car unit with the power and antenna adapter. All the controls are on the handset.

·
Registered
508 Posts
20210216_051655.jpg
Drive into work at -23deg ambient. Wind chill is -45! Too bad they (NWS) changed the manner in which it's read. If it were before 2001, the WC would be -58deg! Next wk it'll be 35deg... ...shorts and a hoodie anybody?!

·
Registered
580 Posts
Finally got to test out the Nokian Hakkapeliitta 9 studded tyres this morning in an inch or two of sleet and ice. Great fun. Traction control pretty much keeps you from pushing things too far. All in all, no complaints. went up hills that others couldn't manage without any problem. Kind of reminded me of the X-29 fly by computer aircraft, that would have crashed without the continual monitoring of the onboard flight computers. Traction control seemed to be there watching all the time. I could feel the car getting a bit light at times, but aside from a few momentary slips, it was fine. I had it up to 30-35 without any issues. Braking was fine. Full on and you could feel the ABS working, but regular braking, no slipping. If you live in a snowy climate, I can see these being worth every penny.

·
Registered
508 Posts
I just cleaned my K and N filter yesterday. That thing was filthy. Couldn't see light. Used special cleaner and reapplied oil. Going to the dealer Monday.

4321 - 4340 of 4390 Posts