Smart Car of America Forum banner

4341 - 4360 of 4391 Posts

·
Premium Member
187 Posts
Replaced the rear springs on my smartie. After replacing the driver's side the height increased by 1 inche, but after finishing both sides it decreased by half an inch on each side. Well, at least it gained 1/2 an inch.
20210321_132254.jpg
20210321_133639.jpg
20210321_141301.jpg
20210321_134419.jpg
After both sides were replaced... 1/2 less.
20210321_142557.jpg
20210321_142459.jpg
The old springs that came with my pure.
20210321_142649~2.jpg

·
Registered
508 Posts
Just donated $175 to diagnose all of the oxygen sensors are jacked...
..have to go back for seconds on Friday. Mercedes Benz parts are spendy!

·
Registered
580 Posts
Replaced the rear springs on my smartie. After replacing the driver's side the height increased by 1 inche, but after finishing both sides it decreased by half an inch on each side. Well, at least it gained 1/2 an inch. View attachment 65820 View attachment 65821 View attachment 65822 View attachment 65823 After both sides were replaced... 1/2 less. View attachment 65824 View attachment 65825 The old springs that came with my pure. View attachment 65826
What are your replacement rear springs? EV springs have a blue dot. I don't recognize the red dot. I did an EV spring replacement on my 09 Pure ICE and got more than a half inch of lift in the rear. The front springs made much more of a difference.[/QUOTE][/QUOTE]

·
Premium Member
187 Posts
What are your replacement rear springs? EV springs have a blue dot. I don't recognize the red dot. I did an EV spring replacement on my 09 Pure ICE and got more than a half inch of lift in the rear. The front springs made much more of a difference.
[/QUOTE]

The replacement rear springs came from a 2014 electric drive, but just the front ones have blue dots, rear ones have the red dot. The stock rear springs on my pure have pink like dots. Can you take a pic of your rear tire?[/QUOTE]

·
Registered
580 Posts
The replacement rear springs came from a 2014 electric drive, but just the front ones have blue dots, rear ones have the red dot. The stock rear springs on my pure have pink like dots. Can you take a pic of your rear tire?[/QUOTE]
[/QUOTE]
Still not sure what the deal is with red/blue dots. The EV springs I put in were blue dot front and rear, replacing the pink dots. The Brabus uses a silver colored spring. Any chance you can measure the thickness of the springs you installed?

Here is my 2015 Pure with the EV springs installed. 185/65R15 front, 205/60R15 rear. Rims are RIAL 5" front, 6" rear. I'm real pleased with the ride. The taller sidewalls make a big difference, I think.

·
Registered
508 Posts
Drove with my check engine light on. Will relinqui$h some dinero to MB for O2 sensors. Bad thing is warranty ran out last Dec. On a good note... Here's the space needle in St. Paul at fairgrounds through my roof glass.
20190414_123122.jpg

·
Registered
508 Posts
I still have to go there Friday. Job will be 2 1\2 hrs. Sensors alone are 800 bucks! I guess MB products are like Harleys... One Hunert dollars!

·
Registered
9,095 Posts
...removed bent/cracked right rear Brabus wheel...
...installed one of the spare rear Brabus wheel...

jetfuel...bummer...

·
Registered
580 Posts
I still have to go there Friday. Job will be 2 1\2 hrs. Sensors alone are 800 bucks! I guess MB products are like Harleys... One Hunert dollars!
Seems excessive for O2 sensors. Looked online? Looks like a set of upstream and downstream shouldn't run more than $250 tops. Look for Denso 234-5071 and 234-4881. No f'ing way would I pay $800 for a set, let alone 2.5 hours labor, at what, $100 an hour? Buy yourself a good O2 sensor socket and some PB blaster.

·
Premium Member
62 Posts
And how big a job (hours) was that?

Looking forward to those pictures!!!
Waiting for the rain to stop before venturing out to make pictures. Probably tomorrow. As for job, it wasn't bad at all. It requires a lot of disassembly from the side skirts forward. Of that, the side skirts were the most difficult only because I didn't know how the clips were configured and didn't want to break any. It took about three hours but part of that was figuring how to replace the broken left service flap latch (it was broken when I bought it). Even that would have been simple had Amazon sent me the correct parts. Yeah, apparently there is more than one style for the 451s as it had a part number beginning with 451 but it was different than the one in my car (2013 Brabus coupe). I think I could do it again in half the time now that I know exactly how everything is made. The Brabus skirts mount slightly different than the standard ones so the video I watched prior to starting the job didn't help with their removal

·
Registered
1,224 Posts
I can't seem to win on the headlight front. Really wanted to get the LED headlight housings they have in the 2020-2021 Fortwo. My dealer said they can't order them (or they have to get some sort of approval (that'd probably never happen) to order them), and they're $378 for each side. Thought "ok, let's maybe see about the ones you can find on AliExpress with the LED projectors in them.". $550 for the pair. Nice. Shipping? $150" by train (huh?) and would take up to like 45 days to arrive. Or like $350 for expedited which would take a week or two.

Sigh.....

Sent from my KB2005 using Tapatalk

4341 - 4360 of 4391 Posts