4501 - 4520 of 4537 Posts

·
Premium Member
251 Posts

·
Registered
2008 451
64 Posts
I helped my brother put some of the 'new' panels on my baby. Here he is taking off the bottom piece to see if this piece goes there. We think it did. That's where it is now, anyway. (Can you see his halo?)

I now have hood clips that work so when I go on the freeway the hood will not fly off if I'm in the vicinity of a semi or a heavy wind.

PS--See my new avatar? That's the new color scheme.

·
Registered
1,545 Posts
With 58,000 miles, and cooler mornings I thought it was a good time to change out the dirty original brake pads for new ceramic ones.
The first 2 owners didn't drive the car much. I've only put 10,000 miles on the car in the 5 years I've owned. It's really seen much rain and has never been driven in snow. No rust on any bolts.
Rotors were in great condition very little wear due to the soft original pad material.
The job was pretty easy. I had all the proper tools power ratchet, brake piston retracting tool, metric sockets and wrenches. I watch a Youtube video first and it helped a great deal.
I took my time and everything came out well.
Wood Red Art Rectangle Tints and shades

·
Registered
286 Posts
After all the trouble to lift my car, I spent the last few days uninstalling the Daystar lift kit. Tried it for a couple hundred miles, but it's not for me. I missed the crisp road handling, I missed my smart! You do gain clearance, but for even mild off-roading it becomes painfully clear that the suspension travel is just too short. I would still like to build a smart for off road, but it will use a more radical suspension. Here it is while lifted:

·
Registered
627 Posts
installed led lights for the footwell and cargo areas(I can see at night if I drop something or need to load stuff in the back)
Wired them to the dome light so I can switch them on when needed or when a door or the tailgate is open.
Gear shift Car Automotive tire Motor vehicle Automotive design
Light Flash photography Automotive design Asphalt Grey

·
Registered
286 Posts
Just finished installing the Solo side exit exhaust. The hanger rods are skinnier than stock, so they fit loose in the rubber hangers. I hope that this will not shorten the life of the flex section. The included bolts were a rattle fit in the cat flange threads, so I reused the original bolts. They did include a new gasket, which was great as mine was in sad shape after only 61k miles. I did not have to remove my Curt receiver hitch to change the muffler! I did, however, remove the rear body clip and bumper beam.
The sound is just what I wanted: a sporty tone that is not too loud. On winding country roads the exhaust note is music! There is no popping on deceleration. On the freeway at 65 to 70 mph the noise is a steady hum that reminds you that there is busy little engine just behind the seat. Service from Solo Performance was good, however they sent me the wrong size "free" T-shirt. Instead of XL, they sent a 2XL. I have decided not to "grow into it". EDIT: Solo is sending another T-shirt. That's customer service done right!
Tin Automotive exhaust Bullet Gas Cylinder

·
Registered
1,224 Posts
Just finished installing the Solo side exit exhaust. The hanger rods are skinnier than stock, so they fit loose in the rubber hangers. I hope that this will not shorten the life of the flex section. The included bolts were a rattle fit in the cat flange threads, so I reused the original bolts. They did include a new gasket, which was great as mine was in sad shape after only 61k miles. I did not have to remove my Curt receiver hitch to change the muffler! I did, however, remove the rear body clip and bumper beam.
The sound is just what I wanted: a sporty tone that is not too loud. On winding country roads the exhaust note is music! There is no popping on deceleration. On the freeway at 65 to 70 mph the noise is a steady hum that reminds you that there is busy little engine just behind the seat. Service from Solo Performance was good, however they sent me the wrong size "free" T-shirt. Instead of XL, they sent a 2XL. I have decided not to "grow into it".
View attachment 67783
Nice. I installed the similar designed Sila side exhaust. Love it also for the sound. I have had it for 5 months I intend to ad some rear facing exhaust tips in time.

·
Registered
1,545 Posts
The sound is just what I wanted: a sporty tone that is not too loud. On winding country roads the exhaust note is music! There is no popping on deceleration. On the freeway at 65 to 70 mph the noise is a steady hum that reminds you that there is busy little engine just behind the seat. Service from Solo Performance was good, however they sent me the wrong size "free" T-shirt. Instead of XL, they sent a 2XL. I have decided not to "grow into it".
View attachment 67783
I have the same side exit solo performance muffler on my 09 smart.
Thank you for providing a picture comparing the size of the two mufflers something I forgot to do when I installed mine.
There's really a significant weight difference also.
I've had it now for a few years. It gives the car a nice throaty sound versus the Model T Putt-Putt sound.
When I bought my muffler I I decided against any of the freebies.

·
Registered
1,224 Posts
^ how well do those work?
I’m debating on adding some since I live on a gravel road and want to reduce rocks hitting the car.
Tire Wheel Car Vehicle Automotive lighting

I really Love the look of the mud Flaps on mine the have been on about 3 years. I don't know that the keep a lot off the car because by design it doesn't seem to kick up a lot on to the car.

·
Registered
627 Posts
I’ve noticed that.
Still on my road I get some mud kicked up after it rains which is why I was asking.
Look good on the car.

·
Registered
2008 Passion, now a 2016
327 Posts
I run the mud flaps (front and rear) on my White 2016 and love them.
Accents the already black lower panel and gives some visual width to the car, in my opinion.
Getting ready to put some 17mm spacers on to bring the wheels outboard to the fender edge.
Should look great.

Jim

·
Registered
286 Posts
Our 2009 fortwo has once again passed the California smog test! Every 2 years we are forced to submit to "STAR station only" inspection, the most stringent level of test locations. Have our state overlords flagged smart cars as probable polluters? Cars under one litre should be exempt! Years ago I drove a Fiat 850 spider, which at the time was smog exempt due to it's engine being only 817cc.

4501 - 4520 of 4537 Posts