Smart Car of America Forum banner
4521 - 4537 of 4537 Posts

·
Registered
703 Posts
Our 2009 fortwo has once again passed the California smog test! Every 2 years we are forced to submit to "STAR station only" inspection, the most stringent level of test locations. Have our state overlords flagged smart cars as probable polluters? Cars under one litre should be exempt! Years ago I drove a Fiat 850 spider, which at the time was smog exempt due to it's engine being only 817cc.
We have pollution tests here in NY too. They are a royal pain. I’ve seen situations where even if everything is ok with the car, but one too many “readyness” indicators aren’t set, the car inspector has no choice but to deny the car an inspection sticker. The owner has 10 days to rectify the problem. If it can’t be corrected in 10 days, the old inspection sticker is removed and the car can no longer be legally driven. In other words, a car can effectively be determined to be “scrap” based on a computer glitch.

I’ve been all over the world. China, Mexico, India, The Philippines, Africa and many many more places. I’ve personally witnessed that most countries don’t give a rats behind about the environment. I watched nightly burning of garbage (including plastics), rampant and blatant littering, cars and Industrial equipment with zero pollution control, and too many more examples to mention.

I bought my Smart and Chevy Volt to use less gas and be more environmentally friendly, but until the whole world joins in, the USA, Canada, and Europe aren’t going to make more than a small dent in global warming.

If politicians and environmentalists really want to make an impact, it’s time to acknowledge that it’s not our little cars that are the problem. It’s counties and governments that aren’t doing their part.

Sorry for the rant…

·
Registered
286 Posts
Finally changed my 451's coolant. I put this off for a long time, as I have had other mid-engine cars and there is always some risk. Sure enough, I had to stop and burp the air at the engine 3 or 4 times. Thankfully, I run an UltraGauge and could watch the temperature. All good in the end. Used Zerex G05 antifreeze, diluted to half with distilled water.

Liquid Product Fluid Personal care Yellow

·
Registered
1,224 Posts
Got up and took a nice drive north of NYC to Siena College .... Nice turn out.
Tire Wheel Car Vehicle Plant

Well lets get in there and mix it up...
Car Automotive parking light Tire Wheel Vehicle

Car Wheel Tire Vehicle Land vehicle

Two of my Favorite in the show....
Tire Wheel Car Land vehicle Vehicle

Wheel Tire Car Land vehicle Vehicle

Cap of the day with a nice easy paced ride back into the city. It was a nice day.,

·
Registered
286 Posts
Replaced my "lifetime" transmission oil today with Redline MT90 75W-90 GL-4. One of the easiest jobs on a 451 no jack needed (unless your car is lowered), and you don't even have to open the engine lid! Just an 8mm hex bit on a 3/8" ratchet and a drain pan. There is room to pump the new fluid with one hand and hold the hose in the fill hole with the other hand. 61k mi.

·
Registered
1,224 Posts
Replaced my "lifetime" transmission oil today with Redline MT90 75W-90 GL-4. One of the easiest jobs on a 451 no jack needed (unless your car is lowered), and you don't even have to open the engine lid! Just an 8mm hex bit on a 3/8" ratchet and a drain pan. There is room to pump the new fluid with one hand and hold the hose in the fill hole with the other hand. 61k mi.
What do you feel as a result of the changed fluid.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Plant Car Vehicle Automotive tail & brake light Trunk
Car Vehicle Sky Motor vehicle Automotive design

made a couple trips to Home Depot. Little car can carry a decent amount of stuff!

as far as “mods”, I added a bee 🐝 to the antenna and an obligatory max capacity clown sticker 🤡
Car Vehicle Motor vehicle Hood Automotive tire

Car Wheel Tire Vehicle Automotive tail & brake light

.. and a lightning/3.5mm aux adapter until I get the head unit replaced with a CarPlay double DIN

Light Motor vehicle Automotive design Luggage and bags Camera lens

·
Registered
2008 Passion, now a 2016
327 Posts
Changed the oil for the first time in my 453... not as simple as the 451, but now I have the special 8mm square drive tool and the 27mm 6-point socket for the oil filter cap.

Wheel Tire Land vehicle Car Vehicle

·
Registered
2008 Passion, now a 2016
327 Posts
Where do you live at, where there is snow already in October
Actually that was a few months ago, when my son was bringing the car back from Texas... somewhere in Arizona I think.
I just like the photo. :)

I'm in Hollister, south of the SF Bay Area... not a flake of snow here, but we're beggin' for the rain that is supposed to come this week. My daughter is in Reno and got a little local snow there. It's coming.

4521 - 4537 of 4537 Posts