Smart Car of America Forum banner
4561 - 4572 of 4572 Posts

·
Registered
1,252 Posts
Today I received a brand new pair of dust covers for the struts. Mine were missing, if they were ever there at all. It is possible that a dealer mechanic removed them, but it's also possible that the car left Smartville without them in 2009. They snap on over the strut attachment points (under the service flap) to keep dirt and water out. Part #451 323 00 38 about $7 each. Anyone else missing these? Not a critical part, but it bothered me that my car was missing something. (OCD much?) I also replaced my stalk end covers. Probably best to do so while they all the colors are still available! $10 a pair, all today's goodies from dealersalessolutions on eBay. View attachment 68234
View attachment 68235
My 2014 has the dust covers in place no rust on bolts.

·
Registered
1,649 Posts
I’d like to add rear reflectors on mine for extra visibility at night so people can see it at night.(providing they have their headlights on)
I changed out the license plate bulbs on my Buick for LED's. What a difference, lights up the whole back of the car. I also changed out the stock back ups and turn signals with LED's.
If you haven't already replaced your license plate bulb with LEDs. Try it.
It sure helps visibility for other drivers seeing you with or without their lights on.
I do not drive the smart at night so it has not been a priority to change those yet
Automotive parking light Automotive tail & brake light Automotive lighting Vehicle Car
Automotive lighting Road surface Asphalt Wood Flooring
Automotive lighting Vehicle Road surface Flooring Floor

·
Registered
736 Posts
^ I did not long after I got it with a set of pre made led housings and they are bright enough I can see around the back of the car at night with them(no joke)
Swapping out the brake lights definitely was worth it(also plan on adding a few extra lights flanking the third brake light soon as I can find a set that will work)

·
Registered
Smart fortwo 451. 2012 petrol
19 Posts
Changed the drop links "again"!
So about 18 months ago heard some clunking coming from the front, had a look and found it was the drop links. Ordered a cheap set from ebay fitted them and all good. Now over the past 18 months I have probably driven just over a thousand miles and started to hear a familiar noise.
Had a look and sure enough the drop links. So as it is said "you get what you pay for"!
Although I was shocked to see how bad one had gone.
Natural material Wood Shell Terrestrial animal Molluscs

·
Registered
71 Posts
Changed the drop links "again"!
So about 18 months ago heard some clunking coming from the front, had a look and found it was the drop links. Ordered a cheap set from ebay fitted them and all good. Now over the past 18 months I have probably driven just over a thousand miles and started to hear a familiar noise.
Had a look and sure enough the drop links. So as it is said "you get what you pay for"!
Although I was shocked to see how bad one had gone.
I ordered these
MOOG K750570

They are much beefier and grease able. They are the same lengths.

Unfortunately after 160000 miles + 12000 miles flat towing I have to replace a lot of suspension parts... I hate the clunking noise with all the potholes!

I sprayed every part with WD40 but this is only a temporarily fix >

I will have to replace all bushings...

·
Registered
Smart fortwo 451. 2012 petrol
19 Posts
Now those really do look more up to the job!
and grease nipples! That is something you don't see much of nowadays ☹.
So many more parts would last sooooo much longer if they had them fitted but as with most things, through it in the bin and buy a new one. I will keep the part numbers for when I have to do them again.
Many thanks

4561 - 4572 of 4572 Posts