Smart Car of America Forum banner

1001 - 1020 of 4205 Posts

·
He's not mine
9,614 Posts
Early this evening, I decided to make a trip to the grocery store. It was the first time in 48 hours the car had been started. 48 hours. The start sounded noticeably strained.
I'm thinking that in another 12 to 24 hours, the battery (Optima Red Top) would've failed to start it.

While I'm here. I noted that traveling less than 30 miles since next notation, on startup I had 5 bars on the fuel gauge. Previous notation was 7 bars. I know it's not really linear, But, dropping two bars in less than 30 miles?

·
Super Moderator
11,309 Posts
drove 23 miles to drop off my son's computer so he could DJ at the club..Had a nice chat with his boss, and the bevy of beauties that were dancing tonight.

·
Registered
5,192 Posts
Early this evening, I decided to make a trip to the grocery store. It was the first time in 48 hours the car had been started. 48 hours. The start sounded noticeably strained.
I'm thinking that in another 12 to 24 hours, the battery (Optima Red Top) would've failed to start it.

While I'm here. I noted that traveling less than 30 miles since next notation, on startup I had 5 bars on the fuel gauge. Previous notation was 7 bars. I know it's not really linear, But, dropping two bars in less than 30 miles?
Maybe problems are related?

·
Registered
5,192 Posts
How so? A low battery might lead to low readings on the fuel guage?

I didn't take note of whether it went up after charging by driving. But, I would be surprised by that.

FWIF: on startup, scanguage indicated 12.3V. Normal is about 1V higher than that.
I really don't know, both are voltage related. Just guessing.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Any time the voltage is low, the gauge will be skewed. At 9.5 to 10 volts, all kinds of things will turn on and off and eventually just quit. Sounds like you need to have your charging system looked at. If the alternator is ok, make sure to have a parasitic draw test done to make sure there isn't anything staying on (draining the battery)

·
Registered
858 Posts
Replaced the two rear tires with Conti Pro Contact, an 80,000 mile tire. Mine wore out at 34000 miles. Took Gigi to a donation car wash, paid $5.00 then went home and waxed her.

·
Registered
5,192 Posts
Got a Mercedes torque damper in the mail. It is like a little shock absorber. Good resistance going in and out. I am going to try to mount it by the front mount to see if it will help control the engine movement without so much vibration. It is pictured next to the weapon R damper I had thought about using. I took it apart and it is just rubber bumpers, stiff with little movement. The size should make it easier to install.

Attachments

·
Registered
1,034 Posts
I'll be very interested to see how you mount this, "Stretch"! I have a damper off a mountain bike that looks very similar, and which I have been looking at and thinking about for a year or more. Other things have taken priority but if you have a clever idea, I'll be happy to "steal" your idea if I may ;)

A couple of years back I used a cheap little bracket to mount something like this that got bent all out of shape. That kind of discouraged me...

Bil :sun:

·
Premium Member
2,744 Posts
Today I swapped the DeCorsa rims with the Triangle Talon tires for the stock rims with the Bridgestone Blizzak snow tires. First time in about 3.5 years that the stock rims have been on the car. I put them all the way around, since the wide Talons will not do much for me in snow, other than light off the ESP constantly... Bring on the winter!

·
Registered
9,026 Posts
...nothing...zero...zilch...nada...parked in the garage under the smartbrella....hook to a battery tender for who knows how long

Jetfuel...man....I need a hair dryer fix real bad...

·
To the XCAPEPOD!
6,101 Posts
Pulled some general maintenance... Changed the oil and filter, changed air filter, aired up the tires. I added MMO to this oil change after running Seafoam for a few hundred miles in the crankcase and gas tank. Now I'll try some MMO for a while in both.

1001 - 1020 of 4205 Posts